AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Art Dudley wrote in Stereophile.
Quote:
The Sophia 3 is a new and fine example of Wilson's modern thinking: a true high-fidelity device that's also capable of sounding beautiful. And though expensive—a Mazda 2 can still be had for less than a pair of these—I think the Sophia 3 represents good value for the money. I have no idea what Dave Wilson has in mind for his more expensive products, but in the context of his present-day line, the Sophia 3 could lead virtually anyone to wonder: Why spend more?
Sasha is perhaps the better speaker.I have not heard them.But the Sophias is fantastic to.Easy to live with.Sounds great even if not using a monster amp.Integrates well in the room.For me they are perfect.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new order View Post
Art Dudley wrote in Stereophile.

Sasha is perhaps the better speaker.I have not heard them.But the Sophias is fantastic to.Easy to live with.Sounds great even if not using a monster amp.Integrates well in the room.For me they are perfect.
I submit Sasha's are better, just like there is no doubt in my mind the Alexia's are better than Sasha's...although I haven't heard Alexia's. Someone in this forum once stated, "Wilson Audio has a line-up for a reason." The question becomes are the differences worth the additional money?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:53 PM

I have a pair of Martin-Logan Electromotions now I bought these are my old speakers got flooded out twice in my basement. I bought these as a stop gap until I could decide on a permanent speaker. I like the MLs I like the coherence, the tonality and overall spaciousness, what I heard yesterday bested in MLs in all regards. and the bass is what I miss most about my VR-4s the Sophias bested that in both extension and definition. I used to say it is no way I would pay this kind of money for stereo equipment, I'm about eat my words. I will try to here the Sophia 3s tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 PM

Ive listened to the Sophia's and Sasha's back to back. In my mind there was no comparison, the Sasha's were a big step up. I will note the Sophia's were driven by a mc452 and the Sasha's by an arc ref75. But really they both sounded great.

Ive been trolling audiogon. Lots of Sasha's coming to the market in the wake o the Alexis. I was joking with my wife about how big a discount we'd have to get to buy a set that were ferrari red.

Good luck
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneice View Post
Ive listened to the Sophia's and Sasha's back to back. In my mind there was no comparison, the Sasha's were a big step up. I will note the Sophia's were driven by a mc452 and the Sasha's by an arc ref75. But really they both sounded great.

Ive been trolling audiogon. Lots of Sasha's coming to the market in the wake o the Alexis. I was joking with my wife about how big a discount we'd have to get to buy a set that were ferrari red.

Good luck
I wonder what Wilson would charge to repaint a pair of speakers.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 AM

I've auditioned both the Sasha & Sophia 3 extensively and own the Sophia 3. True that the Sasha is more refined and better feature, but a you get a whole lot of Sasha in the Sophia 3. However, the Sophia 3 is a lot easier to drive especially if you have SET's and a lot more room friendlier. The Sophia is a wonderful speaker by any means.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneice View Post

Good luck
Actually, Ferrari Red is a pretty cool color... if it fits in your house as an accent item. And then there's Fly yellow. Sort of "look, I've got Sashas" colors Guess you need to be a car person.

The sound will be great long after the color is forgotten.

Grab 'em while you can.
Bob
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanji View Post
I've auditioned both the Sasha & Sophia 3 extensively and own the Sophia 3. True that the Sasha is more refined and better feature, but a you get a whole lot of Sasha in the Sophia 3. However, the Sophia 3 is a lot easier to drive especially if you have SET's and a lot more room friendlier. The Sophia is a wonderful speaker by any means.
The Sophia's are easier to drive; however the Sasha's are more sensitive. The increased efficiency of the Sasha's enables me to set my volume at 42 to fill my room...when I had Sophia's I set my volume at 55.

The other consideration is the room. My room is 20'x26', if it were smaller I submit the Sophia's would be a better choice.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 AM

I disagree; my room is smaller than that and the Sasha or even Alexia would work best for me.

I found the Sophia to still sound like cones in a box. :-(
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM

the sophia has a 10 inch bass and the sasha and all the w/p's before it had 8's right? so the 8's would be faster and lighter in tone usually. when you have less bass it makes the mids and treble more pronounced right? my concern is a 8 inch wilson is going to give me too controlled and tight bass for what i like with blues,rock and pop. was this the problem for many with the early w/p's? thanks to BillK and Ricjor1 for mentioning their room size which is so important. BillK's comment about sophia's cones in a box reminded me that atribute got a lot better when i went from slower regular 6550's to chryoed kt 120's. this change might help others who feel the same. please comment on bass and mid bass quality for sophias vs sashas and what kind of music you listen to.

Last edited by rlw3; 03-01-2013 at 12:19 PM.