AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 12-05-2016, 01:19 PM

+1 great to read about your impressions.
The N10 has been on my wish list for some time.
After reading you review I concluded that the N10 preformed on par with a CD on the Esoteric transport. Is that correct?
And if you want something better than that you need to go for HighRes?
Old 12-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
Great review, Dan. Especially appreciate the in-depth different-configuration comparisons and the comments regarding tone and dynamics, which I assume hold true for large-ensemble (e.g., symphonic, large choral) as well as smaller groups.

Sounds like you have a real winner. Enjoy Nirvana.
Jim.......Thank you. Yes, the N10 reproduces large ensembles with ease. If you have an opportunity to audition the Aurender at a dealer, I would take advantage of it. Hearing is believing.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Dan...Outstanding review, thank you. You are making many of us lust after the N10. The N10 looks stunning in your system.
Douglas.......Appreciate it. The Aurender N10 would look just as good in your system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 07-29-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 12-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by justubes View Post
It sure was worth the wait for an excellent, detail in depth impressions!
justubes.......Thanks you. I assume your questions were answered.

Last edited by jdandy; 12-07-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
+1 great to read about your impressions.
The N10 has been on my wish list for some time.
After reading you review I concluded that the N10 preformed on par with a CD on the Esoteric transport. Is that correct?
And if you want something better than that you need to go for HighRes?
bigblue.......The Aurender N10 is able to duplicate the K-03 transport playback clarity and dynamics . It is remarkable. The K-03's DAC also reproduces excellent high resolution playback from the N10. My entire sound system is resolving enough to identify the differences in formats with ease. On a number of occasions it has become quite evident that I wasted money on certain high-res purchases that are no better sounding than their CD counterparts. Purchasing Hi-res downloads is a crap shoot at best in my opinion. There are a ton of excellent recordings on CD at 16/44.1, and playback from the K-03 transport delivers captivating performances that many high-res downloads simply do not outperform. With the Aurender N10 music server's flac file playback matching the K-03 with 16/44.1 files, I find it harder and harder to justify high-res purchases unless a particular recording in hi-res is being reported as exceptional. There is plenty of outstanding high-res music available, but my experience has taught me not all of it delivers what can be consider a premier performance.

Last edited by jdandy; 12-07-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:19 PM

Thank you Dan. Very interesting to hear about your findings with regard to High res.
IMO that leaves one strong contender - the turntable.
What is you impressions when it comes to emotionally connecting to music through the N10 vs Vinyl. The reason for asking is that as much as I love to play CDs and Tidal through my MSB analog dac, I get more goosebumps with vinyl.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
bigblue.......The Aurender N10 is able to duplicate the K-03 transport playback clarity and dynamics with ease. It is remarkable. The K-03's DAC also reproduces excellent high resolution playback from the N10. My entire sound system is resolving enough to identify the differences in formats with ease. On a number of occasions it has become quite evident that I wasted money on certain high-res purchases that are no better sounding than their CD counterparts. Purchasing Hi-res downloads is a crap shoot at best in my opinion. There are a ton of excellent recordings on CD at 16/44.1, and playback from the K-03 transport delivers captivating performances that many high-res downloads simply do not outperform. With the Aurender N10 music server's flac file playback matching the K-03 playing 16/44.1 files, I find it harder and harder to justify high-res purchases unless a particular recording in hi-res is being reported as outstanding. There is plenty of outstanding high-res music available, but my experience has taught me not all of it delivers what can be consider premier performance.
Wow Dan you are confirming what I've been thinking. And it begs the question... what media do I continue to invest in? I have interest in going analog and know that's an entirely different path, but on the digital front, do I continue buying CD's and converting to FLAC for the N10, purchase the Hi-Res downloads, or enjoy Tidal as is with hopes they will get to hi-res in the future? With CD's, you at least have a physical back up. Hmmm.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 12-05-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
bigblue.......The Aurender N10 is able to duplicate the K-03 transport playback clarity and dynamics . It is remarkable. The K-03's DAC also reproduces excellent high resolution playback from the N10. My entire sound system is resolving enough to identify the differences in formats with ease. On a number of occasions it has become quite evident that I wasted money on certain high-res purchases that are no better sounding than their CD counterparts. Purchasing Hi-res downloads is a crap shoot at best in my opinion. There are a ton of excellent recordings on CD at 16/44.1, and playback from the K-03 transport delivers captivating performances that many high-res downloads simply do not outperform. With the Aurender N10 music server's flac file playback matching the K-03 with 16/44.1 files, I find it harder and harder to justify high-res purchases unless a particular recording in hi-res is being reported as exceptional. There is plenty of outstanding high-res music available, but my experience has taught me not all of it delivers what can be consider a premier performance.
I couldn't be more satisfied with your experience and thoughts !!!!
I'm running a N100H through my Esoteric D02X.
I'll be waiting your comparative between your N10 and the upcoming N100H.
Your experience is very useful and plenty of knowledge.
Really impressive !!!

Last edited by jdandy; 12-07-2016 at 06:05 PM. Reason: correct typo in quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:09 PM

Dan,
Excellent review and very helpful in making a decision in moving forward.
Thanks again.
Walt
Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Thank you Dan. Very interesting to hear about your findings with regard to High res.
IMO that leaves one strong contender - the turntable.
What is you impressions when it comes to emotionally connecting to music through the N10 vs Vinyl. The reason for asking is that as much as I love to play CDs and Tidal through my MSB analog dac, I get more goosebumps with vinyl.
bigblue.......I love vinyl LP's. I am old enough to remember when LP's were the primary source. It was records, tape, or FM. LP's got the most play. As for emotional connection, I can be deeply move by both analog and digital. Just like digital, analog can be exceptional and it can be crappy. If a performance has been recorded well, quality microphones, top notch engineering and mastering, then it should sound excellent in both formats.

I want to keep this thread focused on the Aurender N10. Digital versus vinyl is a whole different topic.