AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 AM

Default Do you think Ayre will add the Diamond output to the KX-R, VX-R and MX-R?

Or do most here think they're not needed because the KX-R is already so good?

There's a rumored upgrade in the works for the MX-R/VX-R, perhaps to add it, and since the lower budget KX-5 has it I can't imagine it not making its way upstream unless it's simply not needed.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by BillK; 09-23-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:46 PM

At a Music Matters get-together a few months ago an Ayre rep stated that they will, in fact, be offering the "Diamond" output as an upgrade for VX-R and MX-R owners. He couldn't say when, however.

-CookieMan-
Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 AM

Hmmm, I was about to pull the trigger on a KX-R; guess I'll wait now, as I suspect Ayre may keep the MSRP the same but will be charging $$$$ for the upgrade.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Hmmm, I was about to pull the trigger on a KX-R; guess I'll wait now, as I suspect Ayre may keep the MSRP the same but will be charging $$$$ for the upgrade.
Arent they fair in the sense that they up the price of new ones with the same amount they charge for upgrades? I seem to recall tht being the case with the previous qb9 upgrade.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:44 AM

Yes, they are.

I had a nice chat with Ayre and they told me they are indeed working on a Diamond Circuit upgrade to the KX-R, but it's subject to listening tests when Charlie finishes up the prototype and so may be a while yet.

They did state that the KX-R's MSRP will rise significantly when the change is made and that the upgrade will be made available for the difference in MSRPs with the caveat I'd be without my pre for a few weeks.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 AM

The KX-R was perhaps the most disappointing expensive pre-amp I have had in my system.The Pass XP-20 was somewhat better at a more modest price and the Gryphon Mirage had better dynamics,body,bass,treble and midrange.Occasionally there was a little more detail with the Ayre,but it was ultimately fatiguing and disappointing.
I have nothing to gain from these comments,but am just trying to help.The LS-27 Audio research was a better long term companion I kid you not.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Down Under, yours is the first negative opinion of the KX-R I've encountered. Can you describe the rest of your system?
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM

I am using an ARC Reference 5SE + Electrocompaniet Nemos to drive my Thiel CS3.7s and my friend uses Ayre KX-R + MX-Rs with the same speakers.

I think it boils down to personal tastes.

Both were step ups from our old Bel Canto based systems (DAC3.5VB + REF1000Ms) but the Ayre IMHO provided the last (maybe) 5% of detail retrieval which the ARC sacrificed for a more expansive (wider and deeper) soundstage.

I do think the Ayre excelled at low playing levels though with its unique gain stage. The ARC needs the volume knob dialed up about 1/2-2/3rds its maximum range to sound at its best and depending on your source output levels, speaker sensitivity and power amp gain, that might be hard to achieve.

My friend moved to Hong Kong where he needed the system to play at softer/more moderate levels in an apartment while I moved and had access to a dedicated media room in a house so our needs might have differed.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM

My dealer has the C-5xeMP (which I have), plus the KX-R & MX-R monos driving the Wilson Sashas. I really liked that sound a lot.

My current rig is C-5xeMP, K-5xeMP, and V-5xe. Think I might go to the KX-5 & VX-5 until the new R series come out. I've compared around other brands, but really like Ayre-Wilson combo. ARC-Wilson is pretty darn good too.

I've tried (but am unable to) to get into Boulder, I found the sound not involving at all (at least with Wilson speakers). When I listened to the KX-5/VX-5 combo I felt like a significant percentage of the "R" series sound was there - but not quite all.

I've read (on the AVS Forum) that the new Ayre DX-5 DSD offers significantly more performance than then previous model. I might hang on to my C-5xeMP until I see what Ayre does next as regards sources...
System: Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon/DPC-6v2, Defender, Anaconda /Sigma power cords and interconnects, Linn LP12, Ayre P-5xe, dCS Vivaldi full stack, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre MX-R Twenty, Wilson Alexia Series 2 Speakers
Old 10-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
The KX-R was perhaps the most disappointing expensive pre-amp I have had in my system.The Pass XP-20 was somewhat better at a more modest price and the Gryphon Mirage had better dynamics,body,bass,treble and midrange.Occasionally there was a little more detail with the Ayre,but it was ultimately fatiguing and disappointing.
I have nothing to gain from these comments,but am just trying to help.The LS-27 Audio research was a better long term companion I kid you not.
That's interesting as I just demoed a KX-R and it brought more to the party than I've ever heard from any preamp.

By comparison I've heard an XP-20 and even an ARC Ref 5 SE and both left me singularly unimpressed where the KX-R brought a, no pun intended, "air" to the soundstage that nothing else I've heard has.

The way I can describe it is with other pres, I heard a singer in a space and some echo if you will; through the KX-R that sharpened to being able to pick out that that echo was the ambience surrounding the singer.

FWIW, none of the Boulder preamps below the 2000 series have done it for me, either, and the price of the 2010 makes the price of the KX-R seem almost reasonable.

The price of the Ref 5 SE is a real steal, comparatively, until you add tube angst and replacement costs every eight to nine months into the mix (my system is on 24x7x365.)

BTW, I'm not anti-tube; my phono stage is an ARC Ref 2 SE, but I don't listen to vinyl 24x7.

Last edited by BillK; 10-09-2013 at 06:15 PM.