AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Ayre C-5xeMP

I finally got a chance to pick up and evaluate the C-5xeMP in my system. Too early to talk about results since I just added it to my system today but the initial impression is that it is a very impressive player with great amount of air and resolution and the MP filter seems to take away quite a bit of the "digital edge". My dealer needed one for stock as a demo anyways so he gave me a choice of color in case I wanted to keep it. To keep things in the same family with the rest of my gear, I ordered it in black for an up-charge in price. Maybe it's just me but it looks stunningly good in black finish. Pictures do not do it justice.

For those not familiar with the new MP digital filter, this makes for some interesting reading. http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

Here are some quick shots of this CDP.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Looking forward to your impressions of the unit with the few filters. I had the original unit for a couple of weeks to compare to my Esoteric X03-se and it did not fare too well. I have read that the new unit is supposed to be a lot better. As you know I do like Ayre's gear.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I finally got a chance to pick up and evaluate the C-5xeMP in my system. Too early to talk about results since I just added it to my system today but the initial impression is that it is a very impressive player with great amount of air and resolution and the MP filter seems to take away quite a bit of the "digital edge". My dealer needed one for stock as a demo anyways so he gave me a choice of color in case I wanted to keep it. To keep things in the same family with the rest of my gear, I ordered it in black for an up-charge in price. Maybe it's just me but it looks stunningly good in black finish. Pictures do not do it justice.

For those not familiar with the new MP digital filter, this makes for some interesting reading. http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

Here are some quick shots of this CDP.

Serge,
How the heck are ya! I've had a chance to listen to the C5xe-MP at my dealer over the last feww weeknds. The system was nice-MC402, ARC LS26 and Sophia2 speakers. The amplification is what I have at home. Alas, the Sophia's are still a wet dream. I also have listened to the same CDP extensively at the dealer over the last few years and have always been impressed. The new MP filter certainly seems to open things up and provide a detailed but smooth presentation. Bottom line is that VERY good CDP just got even better. As soon as they get a demo of the CX7 with MP filter in house I'm all over that for a listening session too. The minimum phase filters also seem to be the latest trend, Meridian and PS Audio are just two others that come right to mind implementing them.

Let me know what you think of the C5xe remote. I find it to be a little picky at times and not overly fast in response time. And when will all the digital manufacturers start supplying digital inputs so users can take advantage of the CDP DAC??? I think Mac and Wadia are the only ones currently doing that, no?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmtpa View Post
Serge,
How the heck are ya! I've had a chance to listen to the C5xe-MP at my dealer over the last feww weeknds. The system was nice-MC402, ARC LS26 and Sophia2 speakers. The amplification is what I have at home. Alas, the Sophia's are still a wet dream. I also have listened to the same CDP extensively at the dealer over the last few years and have always been impressed. The new MP filter certainly seems to open things up and provide a detailed but smooth presentation. Bottom line is that VERY good CDP just got even better. As soon as they get a demo of the CX7 with MP filter in house I'm all over that for a listening session too. The minimum phase filters also seem to be the latest trend, Meridian and PS Audio are just two others that come right to mind implementing them.

Let me know what you think of the C5xe remote. I find it to be a little picky at times and not overly fast in response time. And when will all the digital manufacturers start supplying digital inputs so users can take advantage of the CDP DAC??? I think Mac and Wadia are the only ones currently doing that, no?
Hi Salm,

Funny you mentioned the Sophia 2s. I have a pair I will be playing with at home in a week or so. My dealer tried to talk me into a pair of Maxx3s for a great price but I just don't think my current room will do them justice so I will try the Maxx3 later in a bigger room.

Agreed on the digital inputs, should have been designed into it. I wasn't going to get rid of my MDA1000 anyways, I can use the 7 digital inputs for various things in the future.

I've read the Meridian review in Stereophile but it seems that Ayre went one step further and got rid of the post-ringing while Meridian still seems to have that bit of "overshoot" and post ringing judging from the stereophile measurements.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Correct, Ayre does their traditional early roll off (similar to what Wadia does) in addition to the MP filter. I'm hoping S'phile does another review of the C5xe with the new filter and shows some measured data. As far as the Sophias, they're such a stretch for me budget-wise, but I'm torn between saving for them or saving for the parts and pieces to put together a server system. The question I keep asking myself is "are the Sophia's worth 4 times what I paid for my Maggies?", objectively, no. Yet I find myself sitting down for extended listening every time I go in to visit my dealer!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Correct, Ayre does their traditional early roll off (similar to what Wadia does) in addition to the MP filter. I'm hoping S'phile does another review of the C5xe with the new filter and shows some measured data. As far as the Sophias, they're such a stretch for me budget-wise, but I'm torn between saving for them or saving for the parts and pieces to put together a server system. The question I keep asking myself is "are the Sophia's worth 4 times what I paid for my Maggies?", objectively, no. Yet I find myself sitting down for extended listening every time I go in to visit my dealer!
I've spent some time with the Krell Evo 505 CDP and Evo 707 preamp in the past few months. I can already tell the Ayre C-5 is much more musical and about as good with all the other hi-fi tricks that Krell is notorious for.

I still have the Ayre KX-R preamp in my system and together they are very, very impressive indeed. But I guess I should really let the C-5 break in some more before I go on yapping about it.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Is the one have totally new or an MP-upgrade? From what my dealer told me the MP filter is implemented in software only, so if the player has been used for a while in the showroom you should immediately notice the MP difference.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Serge,

You have a severe case of the lu flu. I can't keep up with your flavor of the day Maybe instead of buying anything, just keep bringing home different demo's, this way you will have the latest greatest for free Seriously I am looking forward to your review of you new CDP. David
Old 04-09-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Is the one have totally new or an MP-upgrade? From what my dealer told me the MP filter is implemented in software only, so if the player has been used for a while in the showroom you should immediately notice the MP difference.
It is new. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to build it because of the black color.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Looking forward to your impressions of the unit with the few filters. I had the original unit for a couple of weeks to compare to my Esoteric X03-se and it did not fare too well. I have read that the new unit is supposed to be a lot better. As you know I do like Ayre's gear.
What was different, I heard the DV-60, but not the X03-se and both Ayre's the 7e and the 5e to me were smoother and yet more dynamic. I'm still trying to figure out how they can have something smooth and dynamic at the same time.

Mark