AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 08-25-2016, 06:58 PM

The new D-02X looks gorgeous... The DAC to take it to a deserted island.
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:11 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
E.......No one pissed in my Wheaties today, at least not until I read your post.

I made no comment about the usefulness of the D-02X or how compelling it may or may not be to some. Furthermore, what you call a useless spinner I call a valuable transport that I enjoy to use. I realize what camp you stand in and promote. I have no problem with your personal bias in support of your music server, but your opinion certainly doesn't make obsolete all other means of digital playback as somehow suddenly useless, not by a long shot.

As for the co-developed Esoteric VCXO high-precision clock (±0.5 ppm), it is found in the K-03, K-01, K-03X, K-01X, and the Grandioso D1. It is not exclusive to the K-01X and up. The point I was trying to make and you seemed to miss is the ±0.5 ppm precision has been a benchmark for years. I think it would be advantageous to see that benchmark raised without having to employ an external clock, especially in the $20,000 DAC price range. It was wishful thinking on my part, not lamenting.

My comment about being disappointed that Ivan seems to have abandoned the idea of auditioning the G-02 clock with the K-03X centers on my desire to know how that combination performs and the advantages of using the G-02 versus not using it, especially since my curiosity can often be a precursor to a purchase. Ivan initially said he intended to audition the G-02 with the K-03X. I responded to a couple of posts about that. Now he has up the ante to the D-02X DAC. I understand his reasoning. Legend Audio is a business and decisions made for Legend aren't made by me. None the less, I was anxiously waiting to hear the results of the G-02 and K-03X pairing, which now appears to be scuttled. That's fine, but a disappointment for me just the same. I simply expressed my point of view.
Well see... When you put it in the wishful thinking side of things it makes a whole lot more sense. In that case I not only see your point but agree with it. Getting more performance for the same dollar is always a pro consumer philosophy and one I tend to advocate for.

And yes you certainly know which camp I am in. But perhaps I should clarify since what you call bias is simple objective reasoning: by ditching the transport, which even by TEAC standards represented a large OEM cost, esoteric is now able to deliver, what is, essentially, mini D1s crammed into a single box, for the same price as the K01x. There is also plenty of data out there on the buying habits of consumers: physical media is on the way out and has been for some time. Yes some will always cling to the past but even the ultra high end manufacturers must adapt to survive within a new generation of purchasers (many of whom still need training and coaching on the important virtues of quality over crap).
Old 08-25-2016, 11:08 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
There is also plenty of data out there on the buying habits of consumers: physical media is on the way out and has been for some time. Yes some will always cling to the past but even the ultra high end manufacturers must adapt to survive within a new generation of purchasers (many of whom still need training and coaching on the important virtues of quality over crap).
E.......Yes, you are quite right. There is plenty of available data about consumer's buying habits. The shop worn mantra of physical media being on the way out is an exaggeration. Those with special interests beat that same drum a quarter century ago about the death of vinyl. Neilson/Billboard, the predominate source for tracking music sales (compact disc, vinyl, digital downloads), reports an active market in both CD's, digital downloads, and vinyl. CD's currently outsell vinyl ten to one while continuing to outpace digital downloads, albeit by a shrinking margin. According to the Neilson/Billboard sales figures for the first half of 2015, vinyl album sales reach 5.6 million. Compact disc sales during the same time reached 56.6 million, and digital downloads accounted for 53.7 million sales. Digital downloads were down by just over 1% during the first half of 2015 from the previous year.

Although certainly not as robust a sales picture as the music industry enjoyed in the 1970's and 1980's, physical media sales remain vibrant. Another important aspect to physical media is the depth of the catalog of available music. It will be decades if ever before digital downloads can lay claim to the same depth of available music in their catalog.

High-end audio equipment manufacturers continue to design, build, and bring to market premium CD/SACD/DAC players while other manufacturers continue delivering astonishing turntables, tonearms, and phono cartridges. There doesn't seem to be any end in site for the available components necessary to play physical media. That bodes well for the millions of people who own and enjoy large libraries of CD's, SACD's, and vinyl LP's. Physical media is not being tossed out with the proverbial bath water.

Certainly music servers, streaming audio, and computers have etched out a place in high-end audio. Convenience seems to be the driving force behind this approach to enjoying music libraries. But even with the advent of digital playback from hard drives and solid state drives many users experience a learning curve that isn't readily understood or mastered by all. In addition there is still the need for a transport to get one's physical media onto a server's drives. Say what you will, call it a useless spinner, but to enjoy all of our physical media from a music server we still must use a transport to move the majority of our music to a server. Somehow that doesn't strike me as the definition of useless. Music servers will continue to require a transport for this purpose until such time as the digital catalog catches up with the physical media catalog. In my opinion, that won't be happening any time soon. Despise the transport if you wish, but without it a server's library would remain limited to only what is available for download. Call it clinging to the past if you want. I see that as just more exaggeration. My point of view is different in that I enjoy accessing all formats, being able to use all the various playback mediums available in today's world. And why not?

The death knell chant for the eminent demise of music's physical media has been repeated over and over for years, yet by all accounts people are still buying, enjoying, and growing their physical media libraries. The market remains quite strong and I don't see it going away any time soon. Chant on if you deem it necessary to support your cause. It may be quite possible that one distant day in the future music servers might eventually be our only audio playback option, but that occasion is certainly not likely to happen any time soon.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-26-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
E.......Yes, you are quite right. There is plenty of available data about consumer's buying habits. The shop worn mantra of physical media being on the way out is an exaggeration. Those with special interests beat that same drum a quarter century ago about the death of vinyl. Neilson/Billboard, the predominate source for tracking music sales (compact disc, vinyl, digital downloads), reports an active market in both CD's, digital downloads, and vinyl. CD's currently outsell vinyl ten to one while continuing to outpace digital downloads, albeit by a shrinking margin. According to the Neilson/Billboard sales figures for the first half of 2015, vinyl album sales reach 5.6 million. Compact disc sales during the same time reached 56.6 million, and digital downloads accounted for 53.7 million sales. Digital downloads were down by just over 1% during the first half of 2015 from the previous year.

Although certainly not as robust a sales picture as the music industry enjoyed in the 1970's and 1980's, physical media sales remain vibrant. Another important aspect to physical media is the depth of the catalog of available music. It will be decades if ever before digital downloads can lay claim to the same depth of available music in their catalog.

High-end audio equipment manufacturers continue to design, build, and bring to market premium CD/SACD/DAC players while other manufacturers continue delivering astonishing turntables, tonearms, and phono cartridges. There doesn't seem to be any end in site for the available components necessary to play physical media. That bodes well for the millions of people who own and enjoy large libraries of CD's, SACD's, and vinyl LP's. Physical media is not being tossed out with the proverbial bath water.

Certainly music servers, streaming audio, and computers have etched out a place in high-end audio. Convenience seems to be the driving force behind this approach to enjoying music libraries. But even with the advent of digital playback from hard drives and solid state drives many users experience a learning curve that isn't readily understood or mastered by all. In addition there is still the need for a transport to get one's physical media onto a server's drives. Say what you will, call it a useless spinner, but to enjoy all of our physical media from a music server we still must use a transport to move the majority of our music to a server. Somehow that doesn't strike me as the definition of useless. Music servers will continue to require a transport for this purpose until such time as the digital catalog catches up with the physical media catalog. In my opinion, that won't be happening any time soon. Despise the transport if you wish, but without it a server's library would remain limited to only what is available for download. Call it clinging to the past if you want. I see that as just more exaggeration. My point of view is different in that I enjoy accessing all formats, being able to use all the various playback mediums available in today's world. And why not?

The death knell chant for the eminent demise of music's physical media has been repeated over and over for years, yet by all accounts people are still buying, enjoying, and growing their physical media libraries. The market remains quite strong and I don't see it going away any time soon. Chant on if you deem it necessary to support your cause. It may be quite possible that one distant day in the future music servers might eventually be our only audio playback option, but that occasion is certainly not likely to happen any time soon.
All very interesting. I wonder which has the most real world benefits... A more accurate clock, or more (and newer more advanced) dacs coupled together to reduce noise? I wonder what blind a/b testing would reveal. Considering the costs, I wish we had better information.

Last edited by jdandy; 08-26-2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: correct typo in quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
All very interesting. I wonder which has the most real world benefits... A more accurate clock, or more (and newer more advanced) dacs coupled together to reduce noise? I wonder what blind a/b testing would reveal. Considering the costs, I wish we had better information.
+1
Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
E.......Yes, you are quite right. There is plenty of available data about consumer's buying habits. The shop worn mantra of physical media being on the way out is an exaggeration. Those with special interests beat that same drum a quarter century ago about the death of vinyl. Neilson/Billboard, the predominate source for tracking music sales (compact disc, vinyl, digital downloads), reports an active market in both CD's, digital downloads, and vinyl. CD's currently outsell vinyl ten to one while continuing to outpace digital downloads, albeit by a shrinking margin. According to the Neilson/Billboard sales figures for the first half of 2015, vinyl album sales reach 5.6 million. Compact disc sales during the same time reached 56.6 million, and digital downloads accounted for 53.7 million sales. Digital downloads were down by just over 1% during the first half of 2015 from the previous year. Although certainly not as robust a sales picture as the music industry enjoyed in the 1970's and 1980's, physical media sales remain vibrant. Another important aspect to physical media is the depth of the catalog of available music. It will be decades if ever before digital downloads can lay claim to the same depth of available music in their catalog. High-end audio equipment manufacturers continue to design, build, and bring to market premium CD/SACD/DAC players while other manufacturers continue delivering astonishing turntables, tonearms, and phono cartridges. There doesn't seem to be any end in site for the available components necessary to play physical media. That bodes well for the millions of people who own and enjoy large libraries of CD's, SACD's, and vinyl LP's. Physical media is not being tossed out with the proverbial bath water. Certainly music servers, streaming audio, and computers have etched out a place in high-end audio. Convenience seems to be the driving force behind this approach to enjoying music libraries. But even with the advent of digital playback from hard drives and solid state drives many users experience a learning curve that isn't readily understood or mastered by all. In addition there is still the need for a transport to get one's physical media onto a server's drives. Say what you will, call it a useless spinner, but to enjoy all of our physical media from a music server we still must use a transport to move the majority of our music to a server. Somehow that doesn't strike me as the definition of useless. Music servers will continue to require a transport for this purpose until such time as the digital catalog catches up with the physical media catalog. In my opinion, that won't be happening any time soon. Despise the transport if you wish, but without it a server's library would remain limited to only what is available for download. Call it clinging to the past if you want. I see that as just more exaggeration. My point of view is different in that I enjoy accessing all formats, being able to use all the various playback mediums available in today's world. And why not? The death knell chant for the eminent demise of music's physical media has been repeated over and over for years, yet by all accounts people are still buying, enjoying, and growing their physical media libraries. The market remains quite strong and I don't see it going away any time soon. Chant on if you deem it necessary to support your cause. It may be quite possible that one distant day in the future music servers might eventually be our only audio playback option, but that occasion is certainly not likely to happen any time soon.
Dan,
Thanks for taking the time. Great post!
Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Dan,
Thanks for taking the time. Great post!
SuperDave.......I appreciate your comments. All I really want to do is listen to great musical performances in my home with a level of accuracy and vitality that approaches in some way the original performance. The machines we use to get there are just the bitter pill we endure to recreate the thrill and excitement we strive to reproduce. Splitting hairs about one component or another, the media type, digital versus vinyl, streaming versus spinning, downloads versus physical media, on and on, gets boring for me. The joy I find in all of this is the music, not the mechanics. Sure, it's great fun to discuss audio components, their design, their sound, and their value. We are all gear-heads to one degree or another. The aesthetics of equipment and pride of ownership also play a big part in our excitement and willingness to assemble great sound systems. Our egos fuel the quest as well. Ultimately though, it is the perfection of reproduced music that we seek. Sometimes it is all too easy to lose sight of that mindset.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-26-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
SuperDave.......I appreciate your comments. All I really want to do is listen to great musical performances in my home with a level of accuracy and vitality that approaches in some way the original performance. The machines we use to get there are just the bitter pill we endure to recreate the thrill and excitement we strive to reproduce. Splitting hairs about one component or another, the media type, digital versus vinyl, streaming versus spinning, downloads versus physical media, on and on, gets boring for me. The joy I find in all of this is the music, not the mechanics. Sure, it's great fun to discuss audio components, their design, their sound, and their value. We are all gear-heads to one degree or another. The aesthetics of equipment and pride of ownership also play a big part in our excitement and willingness to assemble great sound systems. Our egos fuel the quest as well. Ultimately though, it is the perfection of reproduced music that we seek. Sometimes it is all too easy to lose sight of that mindset.
+1
Old 08-26-2016, 12:17 PM

+ + 1

So many exciting methods and tools for enjoying our music these days. And wow Esoteric is making killer products across the board. Hope to own a piece someday.

[MacBook with Audirvana+ -- WW Plat USB -- W4S DAC2 -- WW Silver IC -- C2300 NOS Telefunken blue tips -- WW Silver IC -- Mc252 -- 803S] + [dual Fathom F113 v2] + [WW Silver PC's]
Long term goals, one piece at a time
Old 08-26-2016, 01:09 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

I just confirmed my D02-X order; I scored the last one in the Country!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES