AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 06-04-2017, 11:02 AM

Bummer, man. I admire your spirit, and I doubt I would have equivalent courage in your situation.
As for the system, I use wood shutters to cover my windows (wood blinds would also work). It gives a roughly equivalent wall surface compared to the rest of the room in regard to acoustics. Heavy drapes will provide absorption - although primarily in the upper frequencies. That may be good or may not be depending on your room. So for me drapes didn't fill the bill. I used shutters and then treated the room acoustically as required.
Regarding placement on window wall v. solid wall, I would recommend you do what feels right. Remember that during non-critical listening you may want the window uncovered. So, do you want to be able to look outside, or would you prefer having the light behind you. Is there a TV involved? That could impact the placement. It seems to me that once the window is treated, you have options.
Best wishes. I appreciate you keeping us posted.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:07 AM

For anyone who's interested , room nearly finished. Had to get front of house repiled which slowed build down. But gibbing done , painting done. Carpet laid next week then I can finally move my gear in.Wiring on room done, earthing system etc. thanks to an electrician who didn't look at me like I was an idiot when explaining why I wanted it that way :-) Will need help with that, have bugger all energy at the moment .But I think it will be done in a little over a week then I can finally get music back in my life again.Now to decide on first music to play! When it's all finished , I'll post photos.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Haha was the electrician also an audio enthusiast like yourself? Then you guys should have gone for the backyard electricity pole like the Japanese Madman!

Very, very happy for you. Only a couple of weeks for you to resume listening to music in the most pleasing way -and for ourselves at AA to see the pic's he-he. Congratulations.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzluvva View Post
Hey all,
I'm just curious in peoples views on the above topic. Due to a change in domestic circumstance , I no longer have my dedicated music room (Damn I miss that). I'm looking to buy a smaller place for me to recover ( I've had a fairly shitty 12 months, end of a 20 year relationship, recovering from chemo for a brain tumour , depression...) so using music as part of my journey back to rude health. I loved having the dedicated room but that was in a house with 2 growing kids . But it was always a slight selfish and isolating option. I've seen a house that may well work for me. I'm curious what folks here think- I have the option to put my rig into a large lounge area ( plenty big enough , rectangular in shape, dining area down one end , I'd use the other for a listening space). The other option is to convert a bedroom into a smaller room which I could treat etc. SO music as a part of everyday life or as a " special"event in its own area. I will be living by myself. I'm not asking what to do ; more what people's thoughts are or what you've done in similar shifts.
As always , I greatly appreciate any insights.
Regards to all.
Kia Kaha (Maori for 'Stand Strong!). You must be tough as nails!

My rig is in the lounge as we live in a very small townhouse (Auckland House Prices are utterly ridiculous). The family sometimes moaned about the music & volume- however, we are renovating the kitchen, which it next to the lounge (semi open plan) & my system is dismantled for 4 weeks as we finish sanding & painting ( system packed away due to large amount of dust). They are all missing the music now & cant wait for me to be able to set-up the HiFi again.

At least with your system in the lounge, like mine, its just a skip & a jump to the kitchen for munchies & wine top-ups!
Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Make both rooms inviting, isolating yourself when others are in the home only limits communication and interaction. One room can be more dedicated then the other, so you always have an option, especially when one wants to escape - After all, Music is Education, and Knowledge is Power!

Stay strong, stay focused, never lose hope!
Old 08-23-2017, 04:28 AM

Thanks EfeTe, NZ and FTLOM.
Funny NZ , I got the Kia Kaha. I'm in Wellington:-) Not that tough , just not ready to shuffle off this mortal coil quite yet.
Room now finished , carpet laid and acoustic treatment installed. There will be some tuning of this when gear in place but unpacking all my music and gear , especially with energy levels not high , will take a week or so. But I can see the end in sight.
I do get the concept of making both areas inviting. I have a smaller system which will be in lounge area , so I can listen while in kitchen etc. Thanks for the thoughts!
Old 09-07-2017, 12:35 AM

Getting there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1739.jpg (82.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 09-07-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks EfeTe, NZ and FTLOM.
Funny NZ , I got the Kia Kaha. I'm in Wellington:-) Not that tough , just not ready to shuffle off this mortal coil quite yet.
Room now finished , carpet laid and acoustic treatment installed. There will be some tuning of this when gear in place but unpacking all my music and gear , especially with energy levels not high , will take a week or so. But I can see the end in sight.
I do get the concept of making both areas inviting. I have a smaller system which will be in lounge area , so I can listen while in kitchen etc. Thanks for the thoughts!
Im in Wellington next week for the AML/CFT Conference (Slow Boat Records is a compulsory shopping stop for me!) & my daughter is doing Law at Victoria Uni & our best friends live in Khandallah, so I pop down there regularly.

Once you system is up & running (and it looks great BTW) it would be cool if I could have a listen.

Cheers
Nick
Old 09-11-2017, 05:31 AM

HeY Nick
Won't be up and running this week unfortunately but you'd be more than welcome to come in for a listen and a beverage of your choice when the planets align. I live in Kilbirnie , 10 mins from airport so that might be handy. Yes , I know Slowboat well. Too well
Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
HeY Nick
Won't be up and running this week unfortunately but you'd be more than welcome to come in for a listen and a beverage of your choice when the planets align. I live in Kilbirnie , 10 mins from airport so that might be handy. Yes , I know Slowboat well. Too well
Its pretty full on in Welly this week so couldn't drop by anyway

- arrive at 9pm, & taking my Daughter to a late dinner (Kazu- never been, hope its tasty). AML/CFT all day Wednesday, network drinks till 7.30pm then off to Dinner with said Daughter & my friends from Khandallah, then a half day at the Conference & then straight to the Airport back to Auckland! I may be struggling to get to Slow Boat as well.

Your system looks top shelf so will be keen to pop in & have a listen next time Im in Welly.

Daughter has to find a flat for next year- from what Ive read, that wont be easy. Shes loving it at the Dorm (KJ, the drinkers Dorm!), but I have warned her it will be different flatting- but she is enthusiastic so will be ok.

Cheers

Nick