AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks Stephen, Jeff. And thanks Doug for the link. I'll check that out for sure. I'm sure I'll have more questions. I still wonder how the ET5/GAT will sound with Bryston 28Bsst2's. Oh boy, here we go again.

Joe

Last edited by joeinid; 11-30-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
Thanks Stephen, Jeff. And thanks Doug for the link. I'll check that out for sure. I'm sure I'll have more questions. I still wonder how the ET5/GAT will sound with Bryston 28Bsst2's. Oh boy, here we go again.

Joe
for any electronics techies around (which I proudly call myself) I just love the fact that Bryston puts schematics on their web site. and one tech feature of the big Bryston amps are a built in DC block on the AC input. (keeps those big Toroid pwr xfmers from singing)..'course all you guys with the Purepower units would not have that problem anyway!

I just had a peek at the 28B...big iron for sure!

Last edited by Rayooo; 11-30-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks Rayooo,

Unfortunately my purepower and my ps audio PPP do not block or eliminate DC. I personally need to use a Humbuster III to help get rid if DC.

I did not know about the dc block on the bryston amps. Thanks.

One of these days I'll just make an impulse purchase and see what shows up first. Maybe the GAT will be first. Then we will see.

Joe

Last edited by joeinid; 11-30-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rayooo,

Unfortunately my purepower and my ps audio PPP do not block or eliminate DC. I personally need to use a Humbuster III to help get rid if DC.

I did not know about the dc block on the bryston amps. Thanks.

One of these days I'll just make an impulse purchase and see what shows up first. Maybe the GAT will be first. Then we will see.

Joe
I'm trying to imagine how crazy exciting it would be to have a GAT and 2ea 28BSST2s show up on the same day!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayooo

I'm trying to imagine how crazy exciting it would be to have a GAT and 2ea 28BSST2s show up on the same day!
Me too, but that is NOT going to happen. Sadly
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

Joe
One of the key things to consider is a proper impedance match between preamp and amp.

Of course one of the benefits of all C-J components is that this is already accounted for.

It's possible that the less than perfect match between your ET-5 and Burmester 911 MkIII is due to an impedance mismatch, or it's one of those "intangibles" that create a poor matchup.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:35 PM

The 911mk3 has no RCA inputs and I don't like using adapters.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
McCormack makes excellent amps. They were bought by C-J some years ago (more than four, IIRC) and all the manufacturing is done by C-J in Virigina. Design is still done by Steve.

I've heard one of their preamps and one of their stereo amps and both were excellent. A lot like SS C-J gear in sound quality.

The DNA-750 are supposed to be a killer pair of monoblocks from what I've heard. Dan Babineau of Running Springs used to use a pair as his reference.

With luck, I ended up with Dan Babineau's DNA-750's. I have spoken on the phone with him, and exchanged numerous emails, regarding the upgrades he did on them, as a surprise, our last email exchange night before last he mentioned I need not worry about their reliability for many many years he said, those capacitors will outlast both of us he said , I'm pleasantly happy with this news among the many other snippets he told me.

They sound downright stunning, midrange is so crystal, highs so flawless, and the bass is top notch. I don't think I can do any better, regardless of price.

They are my Grail amps. They will be with me until I pass them on to my son.
They are that good!!!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:07 AM

Please tell me about these, if you fine gents have any info which is helpful.

This is my FIRST top shelf pair of mono-blocks, and your help is appreciated.

Highly regarded amps? There is not much info on the Google search for these amps, and calling C-J not that helpful either, they don't seem to know much about them as far as some specs/parts, etc etc which is hard to believe, since they are made by CJ from a Steve McCormack design.