AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 AM

I've only corresponded thru eBay as well.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhcfi View Post
Peter,
Love the amp. I've always wanted to try a SET tube amp but I own Vandersteens and they are only 85 db efficient. I emailed Dennis and he thinks the KT150s will drive the Treos but I'm struggling to see how 12 watts can do it. I'm still tempted and may go for it just to prove it one way or the other. Keep us posted on your progress.
No way 15 watts is adequate for the Vandy's. You will get sound, but not the satisfying low end that could be achieved with proper amping. I love SET's and a great OTL amp sound, but you will want a speaker in the 96db or better to wring the full measure from a low power amp.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
No way 15 watts is adequate for the Vandy's. You will get sound, but not the satisfying low end that could be achieved with proper amping. I love SET's and a great OTL amp sound, but you will want a speaker in the 96db or better to wring the full measure from a low power amp.
I can't disagree, however, Dennis was adamant that it would be a great pairing. He also said a good friend who is a Vandersteen dealer remarked that the KT-150 amp would be a good match. I know, it defies everything I "know" about audio. I'm still curious though.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I can't disagree, however, Dennis was adamant that it would be a great pairing. He also said a good friend who is a Vandersteen dealer remarked that the KT-150 amp would be a good match. I know, it defies everything I "know" about audio. I'm still curious though.
As I've said, I'm very skeptical, even for my 87db 8ohm AR's. But Dennis expresses great confidence. Either he is a wizard or is hyperbolic (he does come across this way in his expressiveness). He has such a track record with great design, that I'm giving the amp a chance. Either: 1) it is as he says and it will live happily with my current speakers, 2) it won't be powerful enough but I will get a good sense of single ended sound at lower volumes - enough to take a new path if I like it.

New path is either: 1) build or buy higher efficiency speakers (used vintage Klipsch or a single driver design) or 2) buy CAD-805AE's and be done with it!

As an aside, I'm wondering what we call this amp. I don't think it is SET. The KT-150's are not triodes; they are described as beam tetrodes. Unless Dennis wires it in triode mode, if that's possible.

The KT-150 is a higher current tube, though I don't know what that translates into in practice. Can it mean that the 12watts it produces in this design is a beefier 12w than other SE designs? I suppose it is possible. My 70wpc C-J Pr11A certainly produces a beefier 70watts than the typical 70watt solid state amp. Why couldn't there be differences between tube designs in this dimension?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 PM

It will likely come down to room size. if you have a smaller listening room (Like mine) then maybe 15 watts can load it properly.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
As I've said, I'm very skeptical, even for my 87db 8ohm AR's. But Dennis expresses great confidence. Either he is a wizard or is hyperbolic (he does come across this way in his expressiveness). He has such a track record with great design, that I'm giving the amp a chance. Either: 1) it is as he says and it will live happily with my current speakers, 2) it won't be powerful enough but I will get a good sense of single ended sound at lower volumes - enough to take a new path if I like it.

New path is either: 1) build or buy higher efficiency speakers (used vintage Klipsch or a single driver design) or 2) buy CAD-805AE's and be done with it!

As an aside, I'm wondering what we call this amp. I don't think it is SET. The KT-150's are not triodes; they are described as beam tetrodes. Unless Dennis wires it in triode mode, if that's possible.

The KT-150 is a higher current tube, though I don't know what that translates into in practice. Can it mean that the 12watts it produces in this design is a beefier 12w than other SE designs? I suppose it is possible. My 70wpc C-J Pr11A certainly produces a beefier 70watts than the typical 70watt solid state amp. Why couldn't there be differences between tube designs in this dimension?
Hi Peter,
Do you have a delivery date for the amp or are you still waiting to hear from Dennis? I'm anxious to hear your first impressions.

You're right about the tube ... It's a tetrode. There is no doubt that this amp will not play as loud as a big SS amp but it's about the tone & emotional content according to Dennis. I don't doubt the sound is lovely but is it loud enough? I tend to turn it up the longer I listen.

I do know one thing, my 120 wpc tube amp sounds much larger than my 100 wpc SS amp.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Hi Peter,
Do you have a delivery date for the amp or are you still waiting to hear from Dennis? I'm anxious to hear your first impressions.

You're right about the tube ... It's a tetrode. There is no doubt that this amp will not play as loud as a big SS amp but it's about the tone & emotional content according to Dennis. I don't doubt the sound is lovely but is it loud enough? I tend to turn it up the longer I listen.

I do know one thing, my 120 wpc tube amp sounds much larger than my 100 wpc SS amp.
Still waiting. I think Dennis is just getting busy. Word has gotten out and it doesn't take much to slow things down since he is building these by hand. On 12/4, he said he was fabricating six chassis (what's the plural of chassis?) and hasn't listed anything on eBay since, so I'm guessing that he is working on direct orders now. I will be away 12/31-1/10, so I probably won't have anything to post until I get back. Even if he ships this week, it will cut things very close, so it will be after vacation that I will be able to spend some time with it.

I'll contact him now and get the status and report back.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:57 PM

I just heard back from Dennis. My chassis is at the powder coater. So it will likely ship while I'm gone. I'll hope to have it here when I return home on 1/10. It may be that my request for custom color (Jaguar Carnival Red) will mean it will take longer at the powder coater.

Maybe someone else will have one sooner and can post impressions.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 PM

Pictures are required!

I love Jaguar Red...
Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post
Pictures are required!

I love Jaguar Red...
Oh yes.... there will be pictures!