AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
Thanks for the explanation and reference. I guess a high pass at 100 Hz won't leave much room for slope differences to be noticed given the limited incidence of such low frequencies in the usual frequency distribution anyway.

Congrats on your so much more technical audio hobby. Looking forward to your impressions on the Ei KT-90's in the Triode-strapped Inspire we share. In my system, these would probably be too bold and less revealing, but you never know. BTW, this may be another potential benefit from the High Pass tweak, hopefully reducing detail-masking from the low frequency emphasis of larger tubes like KT-88 and up.
A 12db slope is not necessarily a subtle drop. You will notice more life in your Inspire and I suspect that the low end boldness that certain tubes impart will be less affecting in your system. The cost is less than a pair of tubes as well.

I think this may be one reason why our taste in Power Tubes is slightly different. I've been using the Inspire exclusively with the High Pass setup.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 PM

Default Inspire LP2 manual upload

I've read that Dennis is not crazy about manuals, and I don't know if this has been posted before, but recently I came across an LP2 manual, of sorts. It's a good resource if only for used buyers to assign proper designation to inputs/outputs on the rear chassis.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Inspire LP-2 Instructions-4.pdf (2.61 MB, 31 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane1 View Post
I've read that Dennis is not crazy about manuals, and I don't know if this has been posted before, but recently I came across an LP2 manual, of sorts. It's a good resource if only for used buyers to assign proper designation to inputs/outputs on the rear chassis.
I put that together for Dennis. Notice the red LP-2 (kinda looks a little orange in those photos, but it's my LP-2. Trouble is, he changes things up so often.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I put that together for Dennis. Notice the red LP-2 (kinda looks a little orange in those photos, but it's my LP-2. Trouble is, he changes things up so often.
LOL, how cool is that! I found it by sending a message to a seller who sold an LP2 a year ago on Audiogon. After sending the seller a PM he said, yep I've got a copy. It never hurts to ask. Was it posted here before? I'd never seen it prior to seeing it posted in a photo with a year old AG ad.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I remember you doing that. I had wanted to do something similar for my own units, but have put it on the back burner. On thing I would love to do is trace out the circuit and create a schematic. Unfortunately, with my rudimentary knowledge of tube amps it would take forever. It would probably be a good learning experience though.

Maybe I should finish up some of my other half-finished projects first.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:58 AM

On another note, a follow-up on deciding which input tube is best for the KT-77's in my Triode-wired Inspire, with the LP-27a: The Shu Guang black glass CV-181 wins it hands down! The Psvane CV-181 T-II (which is supposed to be a more advanced tube than the former) makes my system slightly "strident" in the top frequencies, and the bulk of that mid-range "magic" gets lost.

Curiously, the opposite seems to be the case with the Shu Guang KT-66Z's, which sing with the Psvanes, in spite of the potential synergy to be expected from the same brand name (black glass).

There's some hope to have larger tubes compete again (6550, 350B, KT-88 and up) through x3workshop's interesting tweak by way of the RED F MOD high pass filters. We'll see.

BTW, I came across this ad and wonder if anyone is familiar with these Siemens EL34:

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/n...pairs-quartets

Also, these MESA EL34:

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 02-06-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musica Amantem View Post
On another note, a follow-up on deciding which input tube is best for the KT-77's in my Triode-wired Inspire, with the LP-27a: The Shu Guang black glass CV-181 wins it hands down! The Psvane CV-181 T-II (which is supposed to be a more advanced tube than the former) makes my system slightly "strident" in the top frequencies, and the bulk of that mid-range "magic" gets lost.

Curiously, the opposite seems to be the case with the Shu Guang KT-66Z's, which sing with the Psvanes, in spite of the potential synergy to be expected from the same brand name (black glass).

There's some hope to have larger tubes compete again (6550, 350B, KT-88 and up) through x3workshop's interesting tweak by way of the RED F MOD high pass filters. We'll see.

BTW, I came across this ad and wonder if anyone is familiar with these Siemens EL34:

Also, these MESA EL34:

The Siemens/RFT EL34 is a very good tube. I have pairs labeled Telefunken and they've been the closest to Mullards that I've used. I'm not sure they're worth the prices they're fetching now though.

I think new issue TS EL34B are very close if not superior in some ways and the prices are easier to deal with.

Try those FMODS first. It may change everything.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3workshop View Post
The Siemens/RFT EL34 is a very good tube. I have pairs labeled Telefunken and they've been the closest to Mullards that I've used. I'm not sure they're worth the prices they're fetching now though.

I think new issue TS EL34B are very close if not superior in some ways and the prices are easier to deal with.

Try those FMODS first. It may change everything.
I hear you. Thanks, we'll do
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane1 View Post
LOL, how cool is that! I found it by sending a message to a seller who sold an LP2 a year ago on Audiogon. After sending the seller a PM he said, yep I've got a copy. It never hurts to ask. Was it posted here before? I'd never seen it prior to seeing it posted in a photo with a year old AG ad.
I put together a similar document based on my amp after seeing Peter's. Available on Google Drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwg...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhparrot View Post
I put together a similar document based on my amp after seeing Peter's. Available on Google Drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwg...ew?usp=sharing
Nice! Although mine would need to be at least 10 or 15 pages. Just add a bunch more of that tube rolling log to the end!