AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 AM

Hello Serge, Tikkenator.

Appreciate your reply!!
I'm seriously considering the Sophia II & i hope i can have enough funds within the year.
As far as positioning of the Sophia, how is the spread between the speakers ? How far should the speakers be from the rear wall ?
How critical are they to the placement ?
I noticed in a lot of Wilson advertisement that the rooms they are placed in have no acoustic of any sort. Is there some truth to it ?
How is the bass of the Sophia ? does it tend to be tight ? one that does not escalate ?
I have a pretty bad room note in the room right about the 60-70 hz range.

Thanks guys.- Noli
Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Searching for the Sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I've heard the Strads many times at my local dealer as well. Different speakers for different taste and preference for sure. I can live with either but the amps and some of the associated gear would have to be different. I love the Lamm/Wilson pairing but with the Strads, I'd go for either the Krell or MC1.2KWs. The Strads are a darker flavored speaker and Krell and MC1.2KWs would bring the balance back. Most SF speakers tend to sound their best with amps with lots of current and grip on the speaker.

The amps that are even more full bodied and harmonically rich sound better through the more neutral speakers like Wilsons. The Lamm M1.2s and to a slightly lesser degree the Ayre MX-Rs, are awesome with the Sasha.

Now that I have lived with the Sophia 2 and Sasha for a bit, I don't see myself going back to SF speakers. I love Wilson/Lamm pairing.

Serge, I would be interested in your thoughts about the synergy between MBL electronics (9008A/6010D) and the Sasha's?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolitan777 View Post
Hello Serge, Tikkenator.

Appreciate your reply!!
I'm seriously considering the Sophia II & i hope i can have enough funds within the year.
As far as positioning of the Sophia, how is the spread between the speakers ? How far should the speakers be from the rear wall ?
How critical are they to the placement ?
I noticed in a lot of Wilson advertisement that the rooms they are placed in have no acoustic of any sort. Is there some truth to it ?
How is the bass of the Sophia ? does it tend to be tight ? one that does not escalate ?
I have a pretty bad room note in the room right about the 60-70 hz range.

Thanks guys.- Noli

Noli, I find the Sophia IIs and Sasha's are rediculously easy to setup since they are such well behaved speakers. I've also had bass problems in my room with various speakers, doesn't everyone for the most part? Not with the Wilsons!

Give them at least a few feet away from boundaries and they will not give you any problems.

I personally love the Sophia IIs bass in medium to smaller sized rooms, deep, tight but also very, very, musical bass. It's fullness and great articulation down low is highly addicting!

The Sophia is also great at dynamic contrast, you will be suprised how effortlessly it reproduces dynamic swings. Most amps love Sophia's.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
Serge, I would be interested in your thoughts about the synergy between MBL electronics (9008A/6010D) and the Sasha's?

Thanks
Have not heard them together but I can see it being a great pairing. The MBLs have a broad tonal palette, "saturated colors of tone" if you will. The Sasha's love to reproduce the tonal beauty or the "soul" of music. Lamm's are similar and I hardly knew them until Wilson speakers arrived. I would be willing to bet it would be a very enjoyable pairing of MBL and Sasha.

Last edited by PHC1; 02-11-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Noli, I find the Sophia IIs and Sasha's are rediculously easy to setup since they are such well behaved speakers. I've also had bass problems in my room with various speakers, doesn't everyone for the most part? Not with the Wilsons!

Give them at least a few feet away from boundaries and they will not give you any problems.

I personally love the Sophia IIs bass in medium to smaller sized rooms, deep, tight but also very, very, musical bass. It's fullness and great articulation down low is highly addicting!

The Sophia is also great at dynamic contrast, you will be suprised how effortlessly it reproduces dynamic swings. Most amps love Sophia's.
Hi serge
Thank you for the inspiring words. I hope someday to have the Sophia II or the Sasha in my house.
When you set them up, did you use the WASP method or the Wilson voicing method ?
Does the Sophias have roller feets that its easy to move them around until you have find the right placement ?
Thanks again Serge.
Noli
Old 02-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolitan777 View Post
Hi serge
Thank you for the inspiring words. I hope someday to have the Sophia II or the Sasha in my house.
When you set them up, did you use the WASP method or the Wilson voicing method ?
Does the Sophias have roller feets that its easy to move them around until you have find the right placement ?
Thanks again Serge.
Noli
The WASP worked out to be right were I had my 3 other pairs of speakers before... While I never used the method described in WASP, I used to voice my speakers to my room by ear. It only makes sense that both came out to be the same and best sounding placement.

The Sophia IIs did not have casters but are not difficult to slide around on their hard plastic risers designed to support them before you spike them.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The WASP worked out to be right were I had my 3 other pairs of speakers before... While I never used the method described in WASP, I used to voice my speakers to my room by ear. It only makes sense that both came out to be the same and best sounding placement.

The Sophia IIs did not have casters but are not difficult to slide around on their hard plastic risers designed to support them before you spike them.
Thank you Serge!! In the meantime, I'll keep on reading on them. It will be awhile till i get to own one.
When I do, I'll let you guys know.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:19 PM

I had planned on hearing the Sasha today at my not so local dealer which has them set up with my identical gear. The snow god has cursed us again today in the D.C. area and the city set a snow emergency. No way I can head up there today. Parking is bad enough on a normal day let alone on an emergency day when one can't park on the street.

Maybe next week.

Gordon
Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Hi Gordon,

You guys are really getting slammed! I have relatives in Harrisburg and Philly and they say it is crazy up their way.

I'm anxious to hear your reactions to the Sashas, particularly in comparison to the Spires.

Right now, no speakers at my place. My Spires sold in 2 days to someone local and the Sashas are still 2-3 weeks from delivery. I was going to buy the store demos but they ended up ordering me a brand new pair for the same price as the demos.

Regards,

Dave
Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 PM

Serge; Looking at your comment on room size... What size room do you have the Sasha's in?