AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audeze

Audeze Uncompromised Audio

Old 05-27-2012, 05:39 AM

Default Audeze LCD-3 vs HiFiMAN HE-6

Has anyone compared the two? I am thinking of ordering a pair, although I am unsure if my EAR HP-4 will drive them to satisfying levels. The Bryston probably will whenever it is ready.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson3024
Has anyone compared the two? I am thinking of ordering a pair, although I am unsure if my EAR HP-4 will drive them to satisfying levels. The Bryston probably will whenever it is ready.
I demo'd the he6, but not the Audeze. The HE6 will need a powerful amplifier. The headroom amplifiers I typically use for powering headphones did not work well with the HE6. I had to use one of my McIntosh MC2102 amplifiers to properly power he HE6. The sound of the HE6 is bright even when powered from a tube amplifier. I did compare to the HE6 to the HD800, but not powered from the same amplifier. I preferred the ounce of the HD800, but still liked the HE6. I only returned the two pairs I tried for cosmetic reasons. The two samples I received had cosmetic damage from the accessory kit that floated around inside the headphone box during transportation. When the company I purchased the HE6 from said I was going to have to pay a restocking fee and return shipping on cosmetically damaged $1200 headphones I decided to not try a 3rd pair.

I would definitely recommend trying both before making a decision. I read the Cable Company is offering a in home headphone demo of multiple pairs at the same time. That might be worth it.

Last edited by RoadDawgWest; 05-28-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:47 AM

I don't find the HE-6's bright.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2
Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 AM

My HE6 deal fell through, but I will order some later. I just pulled the trigger on an interesting headphone amp called the Liquid Fire last night.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randerson3024 View Post
LCD-2 is much better in every way. I own audezes and I had a chance to compare them on one amp. I do not like the bright sound of HiFiman headphones. Between HE-6 and HE-500 I prefer the latter because of the flatter FR. But LCD-2 are more neutral and natural than the chinese.