AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Crankin' Tunes

Default Full service acoustic designer, hopefully in Atlanta?

Ok, i'm working on the spouse about the room. I think the problem is that now we're trying to have a living room and a listening room at the same time, when we should just give up and have an aesthetically optimized listening room (my point of view obviously). I think if we started from the ground up and tried to make the nicest looking listening room possible, overall - the aesthetics would come out better than trying to mingle existing stuff and put acoustic bandaids on top of it.

I have looked around on the various sites and discovered that GIK is here in town. I'd like to speak with an acoustic designer who would think about the room from that perspective, be able to generate computerized drawings, etc. If i just start trying to slip bass traps in the corner and hope she doesn't realize, I know (after 30 years of marriage), it will be all over. I'm on the edge as it stands now with the system in the living room.

So, my madness is to start with a designer, show her some photos and designs so that she sees what's possible, and hope for the best. May not work, but there's a chance. I know there's no chance trying to just slip stuff in.

This is likely the more expensive alternative, but it's better than nothing. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations in the Atlanta area?

Thanks in advance.

PS, if you're interested in a vacation home in the Highlands, NC area, I'll make you a deal and just build a dedicated room here!

Amplification > Accuphase A200 (2) / C3800 > Esoteric E03
Sources > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > DirectStream Memory Player > Silenzio by -E- (via Roon/NAS) > Magnum-Dynalab > MD-108T SE / MD-205 > ClearAudio / Innovation / Universal > Lyra / Kleos
Speakers/Cables > TAD CR-1 MKII > Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement Copper (1), Gold (1)
Power > PS Audio P10 (2) / 3 dedicated lines with PowerPorts
Foundation > Rix Rax > Hoodoo / Amp Stands > Stillpoints ultra SS (8)
IC/PC > Power // Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement HC, Grand Illusion Statement > ICs // Verastarr Grand Illusion Signature XLR > Digital // Verastarr Nemesis USB
Other > Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro

Portables and Cans:

Cans > Sennheiser 800
IEMs > Westone W50, Bose QC20
Amplification > Auralic Taurus
Sources > Auralic Altair, Onkyo DP-X1
IC/SC/PC > Sennheiser Balanced / AQ Yukon XLRs / Shunyata Venom 3 (2) / Black Dragon Balanced
Old 08-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Save Ferris

GIK is the only "full service" acoustical treatment company here in Atlanta that I'm aware of, last time I checked their small facility was over off Northridge Rd and I-85 just south of Jimmy Carter Blvd. One other idea is you can call Alan Jones down at Hifi Buys in Buckhead to see who they recommend, I would think they have someone on call for some of their nicer higher dollar installations. Also remember Jim Smith is here in town as well, he focuses on system setup....haven't talked to him in awhile but I think he still does his room play.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Eidolon Vision, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics B2 Amplification: McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh MC 402 amplifier Digital: Ayre C-5xeMP SACD/DVD audio player. Analog: VPI Classic Signature, Dynavector XX2 mkII cartridge. Phono Preamp: Audio Research Ref 2 SE
Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Crankin' Tunes

Who is Jim smith? I don't know him. Any idea on how to contact him? Quick google search didn't reveal anything clear.

Thanks !!

Sources > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > DirectStream Memory Player > Silenzio by -E- (via Roon/NAS) > Magnum-Dynalab > MD-108T SE / MD-205 > ClearAudio / Innovation / Universal > Lyra / Kleos
Speakers/Cables > TAD CR-1 MKII > Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement Copper (1), Gold (1)
IC/PC > Power // Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement HC, Grand Illusion Statement > ICs // Verastarr Grand Illusion Signature XLR > Digital // Verastarr Nemesis USB

Portables and Cans:

Cans > Sennheiser 800
IC/SC/PC > Sennheiser Balanced / AQ Yukon XLRs / Shunyata Venom 3 (2) / Black Dragon Balanced
Old 08-06-2017, 02:34 PM
Crankin' Tunes

Just did another search - found Jim smith!! Thanks.

Portables and Cans:

Cans > Sennheiser 800
Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Save Ferris

Jim Smith is the "Get Better Sound" guy.....he's been in the industry for years and is one of the best resources in the world for system and room setup. Now that being said, he's not one of those guys who shows up with a bunch of computer equipment and microphones and graphs. He'll setup a grid in your room based on dimensions and do his thing but he doesn't deal in acoustic treatments etc etc. That said, he came out to my house and did his room play and the results were great (my room was already treated however and most likely not as problematic as the usual room that he would do).

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Eidolon Vision, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics B2 Amplification: McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh MC 402 amplifier Digital: Ayre C-5xeMP SACD/DVD audio player. Analog: VPI Classic Signature, Dynavector XX2 mkII cartridge. Phono Preamp: Audio Research Ref 2 SE
Old 08-06-2017, 02:51 PM

I would find it interesting to hear how things work out for you , maybe even pictures.
And i thought it was only here in Denmark it is hard to find an acustian who could advice like that, for a reasonable price .....most Hi-Fi people i think have to just do some trial and errors, unfortunately.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Crankin' Tunes

Yep. Found him. Thanks. I'll do some asking around. It may be that I need to get the basics of the room treated (without getting divorced) and then bring him in.

Portables and Cans:

Cans > Sennheiser 800
Old 08-06-2017, 06:38 PM

I've had nothing but great experiences with GIK. They have been very helpful during my room treatment process.
Audio Room: Accuphase E-600, Esoteric K-01X, Sony HAP-Z1ES, Aurender N10, VPI Classic, Totem Acoustics Element Metal, Audeze LCD-XC, PS Audio P10, Tellurium Q Black Diamond speaker cables, interconnects and power cords, Stillpoints, HRS damping plates and all that other silly stuff

Living Room (aka Maria's system): Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated, Audio Physic Tempo Special Ed., Cambridge Audio 840C, Bluesound Node 2, Accusound and Nordost interconnects and cables

Office: Gato AMP150, Klipsch Heresy III, Bluesound Node 2, Audience Conductor speaker cables and Nordost interconnects
Old 08-06-2017, 06:42 PM
AA Founder, AB Founder, Legend AV Owner

Tell GIK you are a Subscriber here on AA, and or mention my name for the "White Glove" service.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) PS AUDIO PPP(8) RGPC 1200(20) RGPC POLE PIG(4) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, SVS SCISSOR LIFT, STEWART STUDIOTEK 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM STARLIGHT HDMI, GOLD ECLIPSE CABLES & SILVER ELECTRA PC'S
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A200 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP900 CD/SACD PRECISION TRANSPORT, DC901 PRECISION DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL VOICING EQUALIZER, T-1100 FM STEREO TUNER, PS520 POWER SUPPLY, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, HRS-SXR CUSTOM 4V-4V RACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MS750(3) MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K01-X SE CD/SACD PLAYER, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) OPPO-BDP95, PS AUDIO PPP(8) PUREPOWER 1050(4) RGPC 1200(15) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR SUB STANDS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE PRO SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART STUDIOTEK 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, BRYSTON BHA-1, ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S.
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD w/ OUTER RING & CLAMP, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, KLAUDIO RCM, HRS-MXR REFERENCE 4V RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, PS AUDIO PPP, RGPC 1200, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP LOADED, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, ESOTERIC GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM 2V-3V-2V RACK w/ M3X 1921 SHELVES, STILLPOINTS, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS IN RED VIOLIN FINISH, JL FATHOM F113(2) SOUND ANCHOR SUB STANDS(2) ASC ACOUSTIC PANELS & BASS TRAPS, GIK PICTURE PANELS, PS AUDIO P10, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S

Library System: ESOTERIC GRANDIOSO SYSTEM M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS(2), C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E03 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, SONOS ZP90-W4S MOD, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2 SANTOS ROSEWOOD, AERIAL SW12 SUBS SANTOS ROSEWOOD w/ BASES(2), CANTON REFERENCE K3, DALI EPICON 8 RUBY MACASSAR, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, FURUTECH SILVER ARROWS PHONO CABLE, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA PS8, RGPC 1200(2) STEVE BLINN COMPLETE CUSTOM RACK, ASC STUDIO TRAPS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE IC'S & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, BIT-15(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM ECLIPSE IC'S & PLATINUM ELECTRA PC'S
Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 AM

If for some unlikely reason the GIK option doesn't work for you, I believe Dennis Erskine is in Atlanta. He does a lot of THX certified work and is very highly regarded.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v