AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Guestbook > Personal Introductions

Personal Introductions Feel free to sign in

Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM

-------- Hola!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM

Hello to those of you that said hi since bedtime last night!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Bodhisattva

Hi Sunshyne, welcome to Audio Aficionado! If you like rock & your budget is $5k for speakers & an amp, i'd look at 2nd hand VMPS RM40 Series 2's if you have a medium-large size room & Hegel H300 integrated. If you're looking at the RM40's, look for an example which has all the optional upgrades. Both awesome value imho..

Cheers,

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 02-02-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Default Greetings from central Ohio

Hi all--

I am revisiting the audio world after a long period of not paying too much attention. I've been interested at different levels for years, having followed in my dad's foot steps of building kits from Heathkit and Dynaco in years past and loving music in general. I repair musical instruments as a profession, so there's a lot of listening going on all the time.

About twenty years ago I decided to get some decent Rotel components to feed into Snell C/IV speakers, and although I upgraded to a Classé preamp later, I've been happily complacent with the system as the years rolled on.

Well, the CD player died over Christmas, and it opened my eyes to the possibility of procuring 21st century audio gear to replace the aging electronics. This AA forum has been most enlightening in the diversity of opinions and experiences of the members, and I look forward to learning much more to make an educated decision on how to lighten my wallet!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
I have been lurking here for a few days and have decided to subscribe.
I recently have made the decision to acquire some gear. So far, in my journey I have decided to go for some tube amps and speakers as separate upgrades to what I will eventually call my system. I listen to vinyl and digital sources. This site has given me a lot of info to process!

I have listened to VTL, Audio Research and McIntosh for amps and Linn as well as Vienna Acoustics for speakers. Right now I have decided to go used as my budget is 5k for amps and eventually 5k for speakers. I am leaning towards McIntosh.

I like to listen to mostly rock. Some artist I listen to are: Spooky Tooth, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Megadeth, G n R, Led Zep.,Smashing Pumpkins, Neil Young, Velvet Underground, Big Brother and the Holding Co, Radio Head, Jefferson Airplane, The Chameleons, Alice in Chains, MGMT, and Pink Floyd.

I look forward to chatting with you all!
Hi Sunshyne!
I hope you have fun putting together your new system!
-oh
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
I have been lurking here for a few days and have decided to subscribe.
I recently have made the decision to acquire some gear. So far, in my journey I have decided to go for some tube amps and speakers as separate upgrades to what I will eventually call my system. I listen to vinyl and digital sources. This site has given me a lot of info to process!

I have listened to VTL, Audio Research and McIntosh for amps and Linn as well as Vienna Acoustics for speakers. Right now I have decided to go used as my budget is 5k for amps and eventually 5k for speakers. I am leaning towards McIntosh.

I like to listen to mostly rock. Some artist I listen to are: Spooky Tooth, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Megadeth, G n R, Led Zep.,Smashing Pumpkins, Neil Young, Velvet Underground, Big Brother and the Holding Co, Radio Head, Jefferson Airplane, The Chameleons, Alice in Chains, MGMT, and Pink Floyd.

I look forward to chatting with you all!
Rooting for McIntosh!
Welcome to AA!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Welcome to AA glad you joined us Chris
Old 02-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Hello everybody,

Although I am around already a couple of months now I have only today seen this thread, and I am glad to give away a few words about my background.

My name is Leon, I am 60 years old and of Dutch nationality. During the last 35 years I have not seen the Netherlands though, having worked as an international banker in many countries. Yes by then one could still say "I am a banker..." and be proud of it.. Things have changed quite alot since the last 10 years or so, by coincidence the time I have retired and moved back to the town where I was born.

I am married with my lovely wife for 31 years now and am a proud father of a 30 year old daughter.

Besides audio (as high-end as I can afford) my hobbies are photography, reading, walking, keeping up with the World-economy, architecture, design and art (preferably Art Deco and Pop Art).

My set consists of Japanese, British, Dutch and Swiss components, such as Micro Seiki DD 40 turntable with Benz Micro Gold MC cartridge, Monitor Audio speakers, MHZS CD-player (probably unknown to you guys, but pretty worthwhile with 2 double triodes and selectable sampling frequency), an Artephonos pre-amplifier (including MC input and headphone output, tubes) and a 300 B double SET by Heart Beat). Sorry that these manufacturers probably sound unknown to most of you co-forummembers

I am looking forward to reading and contributing to the best of my knowledge to this great forum and to get to know you all a bit better.

Regards,

Leon

Last edited by Leondutch; 02-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Didn't see these post till just now. Bodhisattva, hello and thank you for the suggestion. The VMPS website says they will be closing 17th Nov. 2012 but is currently still up. I'll keep my eyes open for a second hand pair should I come across one.
I have put a deposit down for a c2200 and a pair of mc60 monoblocks.
Ohthepain, Enit, Mac Brown, thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM

Clarifixer, welcome! Good luck on updating your electronics. What instruments do you repair?
Leondutch, welcome! You have a lot to contribute!