AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 07-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusmeloman View Post
Quite right.

I found a buyer for my "Inspire". Found a proposal for the CAD-300SEI (1995, also with a gold panel, like my player.).

At the same time I can not compare. Both options seem good, and the speakers are still on the road for delivery.
What speakers, Proac?

FWIW, while I was looking at 2A3 amps and reading through this 465+ page thread here on AA, back in 2014 there were some questions and feedback from members and Dennis to members about these same questions including former AES 300B kits, other 45 and 300B amps, and comparisons to the new Inspire with various tubes. What stuck with me was this statement about controlling the speakers. Perhaps if you have ProAc, may not apply but worth noting some historical questions and replies here on AA at least around this same topic.

re: 300B references... "These amps do not have the capability to control the drivers in the [said speakers]. That is the beauty of the beam tetrod/pentode vacuum tube in class A service with feedback.

Last edited by decooney; 07-10-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Funny how timing is as far as the discussions about lower powered tubes. You all will likely recall that I am a proud member of the Inspire family. My initial purchase was a 2016 HO Inspire (pre-IIPS upgrade) which is now in another tube lover's system. I still have my 16-23 WPC badass Inspire Fire Bottle PSE amp with volume attenuator as I have no need for a preamplifier. I'm running a vinyl based system (Herron Audio VTPH-2A phonostage).

I recently stumbled into a beautiful pair of walnut Klipsch Chorus II speakers that I upgraded the tweeter diaphragms and crossovers with Crites parts. Well these beauties being 101db efficient stoked my interest in a 45 based amp again.

Spoke with Dennis yesterday and he is now building me a black on black 45 SET amp with volume attenuator. He is so much fun to speak with.

I cannot wait to hear the 45 tube in my system!

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

Last edited by jdandy; 07-10-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: enlarge photo
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
What speakers, Proac?

FWIW, while I was looking at 2A3 amps and reading through this 465+ page thread here on AA, back in 2014 there were some questions and feedback from members and Dennis to members about these same questions including former AES 300B kits, other 45 and 300B amps, and comparisons to the new Inspire with various tubes. What stuck with me was this statement about controlling the speakers. Perhaps if you have ProAc, may not apply but worth noting some historical questions and replies here on AA at least around this same topic.

re: 300B references... "These amps do not have the capability to control the drivers in the [said speakers]. That is the beauty of the beam tetrod/pentode vacuum tube in class A service with feedback.
Thanks for the valuable comment!

My speakers are ProAc 1sc.

I found this option in good condition, so my heart faltered and began to think about replacing ...

Old 07-10-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
Pictures from earlier today...

...Both channels with face plates and transformer logos...
Hello straightwire,

as a builder of these amps, by chance do you happen to know what the power/wattage output is for a single Inspire Mono amp with KT150s?
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
What speakers, Proac?

And that's the reasoning behind the PSE triode experiments. The 71A amp controls the speakers way better than any other 2.5 watt amplifier I've ever heard, and Dennis will tell you that this was evident from the first needle drop he heard thru this amp. He can tell things about an amp just from the thump the needle makes when it hits the vinyl...Now I will add that I've not really been able to compare the 2.5watt 6F6G amp yet...

Last edited by Analog Addict; 07-10-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Hello straightwire,

as a builder of these amps, by chance do you happen to know what the power/wattage output is for a single Inspire Mono amp with KT150s?
Hey decooney, I don't know if Dennis measured KT-150's in a monoblock PSE yet, but I will ask him.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
And that's the reasoning behind the PSE triode experiments. The 71A amp controls the speakers way better than any other 2.5 watt amplifier I've ever heard, and Dennis will tell you that this was evident from the first needle drop he heard thru this amp. He can tell things about an amp just from the thump the needle makes when it hits the vinyl...
Looking back at the May 23rd post #4514, http://www.audioaficionado.org/showp...postcount=4514

Is the the cool PSE Triode "71A" pictured here at the front?

71A (6)

6F6G (4)

Last edited by decooney; 07-11-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
Hey decooney, I don't know if Dennis measured KT-150's in a monoblock PSE yet, but I will ask him.
Okay, thank you Sir! And, I just now heard back from Dennis, appreciate the relay.

Trying to decide to sell some other gear (or not) to help fund the monos - if it makes sense to proceed.

Also, Dennis expressed interest in my recently acquired Inspire Stereo Hot Rod amp too for another possible customer. Decisions to make, so the added info helps for deciding. Seems wattage (5-15 watt range) with KT150s is about close to the same for each Mono amp when he's testing, listening, and considering the proper "balance" between overall driver control and how the sound presents itself to the listener, and "not too forward" is an objective. As power gets pushed up too much (say up to 19 watts), the magic gets lost as I understand it now. So, he's maintaining the sweet spot by not overpowering. I sorta get it now, makes sense. He has some more testing and test results logging to do over the next week. This also helps me to partly understand how my big V12R amp can sound sweet in strapped Triode mode at 50 watts, it takes (12) EL34 tubes to get there and stay in the window.

Last edited by decooney; 07-11-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:17 AM

The system is in the assembly stage. It is planned to install the Mapleshade platform.

Last edited by rusmeloman; 07-11-2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: redact photo
Old 07-11-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Looking back at the May 23rd post #4514, http://www.audioaficionado.org/showp...postcount=4514

Is the the cool PSE Triode "71A" pictured here at the front?

That is Dennis’ PSE(Pentode) running 4 6f6g. The previous picture from that post is AA’s PSE(T) 71A with 6 power tubes. Real space heaters they both are.