AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 02-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Esoteric G-02 Initial Impressions

This morning I started more critical listening to my system with and without the Esoteric G-02 connected to my K-03X using a new 0.5 meter WW Gold Starlight BNC. I have the G-02 set to 44KHz in the main menu and output A frequency at 10MHz.

The session included CDs and streams from my NAS. The K-03x filters are set the same for any input; ORG and SL_DY 2, DSDF ON. (I bounce around on DSDF off and on in normal listening as I can't really hear much difference)

First up, RBCD Shelby Lynne - Just a Little Lovin, Title song. I love the effects of the intro of this song. The cymbals, drum and bass guitar each held in their own space in the soundstage and then her voice coming in perfectly hung about 3' above the ground, dead center.

I listened to this song four times with and without the clock engaged which I controlled by the CLK option on the K-03X. The G-02 remained powered on continuously.

What I heard comparing with and without the Clock engaged was a slight heavier nature without it. With the G-02 engaged, the instruments were even more separated and held in space and the overall character of the sound became clearer. The decay into the quiet parts of this song were beautiful and oh so real. From this song, the most obvious difference with the clock engaged is in the upper range. Cymbals are clearer and decay with added realism.

Moving on to a DSD stream from my NAS using ROON.

The Dialogue with Bass from Accuphase Sampler II, SACD rip. Similar result here. This drum and stand up bass duet abounds with cymbals and brushes which sound more real and 'in my room' with the G-02 engaged. The stand up bass sounds equally real but the benefit of the G-02 is a little less noticeable on it.

Moving to more 'complicated' compositions and jumping right in with Yes from Close To The Edge, SACD rip to DSD track Track 2, And You and I: Cord of Life/Eclipse/The Preacher and Teacher/Apocalypse. Easily reviewed. Much higher overall resolution with the clock engaged. This resolution brings no downsides such as fatigue or brightness only space in the music between instruments voices and sounds. The overall impression is that each instrument is playing with the other not 'over it'. I suppose it is just more realistic? Without the clock engaged this piece sounds warmer but there is a noticeable reduction in space within the sound stage. More of the sound is combined, not at all displeasing but now that I have heard this piece with the clock, it sounds more like the radio without it. Geesh!

My G-02 with its new WW Silver Electra PC and Gold Starlight BNC now has about 24 hours of run time and from my initial impressions it is a worthy upgrade to my system. It is not a subtle improvement. I don't claim to have good ears but loud complicated music such as YES played loud can fatigue even on the best systems. The G-02 has removed that fatigue by resolving the music.

I haven't read about a burn in period for the clock but I assume the cables will improve with time so I will repeat this session next week when the G-02 and cables have about 100 hours on them.

--- After leaving the G-02 on overnight, it readily locks with the K-03X when I switch from SACD/CD mode to USB mode. I had initial issues with that but they have disappeared this morning.

Craig
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 02-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:06 PM

Congrats Craig, sounds like a very nice addition to your fine system. Excellent analysis of the benefits it provides, enjoy it in the best of health!
Old 02-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Greetings from NC

Thanks Craig. Looking toward to learning more.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 02-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Excellent review. Looking forward to your impressions after more burn in time.
Paradigm: Persona 7F, C5v3, ADP3,
JL Audio: F113v2, CR-1,
Shunyata: Everest, Denali 6000/Sv2, Altera
Shunyata and WW: PCs, SCs and ICs.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Life is beautiful

Craig, interesting first review!
Looking forward to your further impressions.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Racing Hoopties

Thank you gentleman. I have to admit I was skeptical even while I was buying it. Now I find myself reading all I can about Master Word Clocks so I can understand exactly what it is doing. I have a long way to go but don't really care because it sounds so darn good.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 02-12-2017, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Thank you gentleman. I have to admit I was skeptical even while I was buying it. Now I find myself reading all I can about Master Word Clocks so I can understand exactly what it is doing. I have a long way to go but don't really care because it sounds so darn good.
You will need to try masterclock of 22 or 24 straight to the k03x.

Different sound yet again ompared to fee it 10m signals.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:41 AM

Congrats Craig, look forward to hearing more about the positive impact the clock is having on your system. There's so much more to learn and it's fun!

Mitch
Old 02-13-2017, 07:00 AM

Craig,

Great initial listening impressions, congratulations on the new clock! Like any other component, a master clock (have owned several) needs some degree of burn-in as do the cables. My experience has tended towards the first 100-ish hours being the biggest change and the point to due some detailed listening. Unlike transports, DACs, pre-amps, etc...I did not hear all that much change after 100-125+ hours; there may have been changes; they were very subtle if they occurred at all (at least to my hearing).

I would suggest definitely trying 22.xx Mhz master clock frequency, particularly if you are using a 75-ohm cable and play alot of RBCD/XRCD material.

Enjoy!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
Craig,

Great initial listening impressions, congratulations on the new clock! Like any other component, a master clock (have owned several) needs some degree of burn-in as do the cables. My experience has tended towards the first 100-ish hours being the biggest change and the point to due some detailed listening. Unlike transports, DACs, pre-amps, etc...I did not hear all that much change after 100-125+ hours; there may have been changes; they were very subtle if they occurred at all (at least to my hearing).

I would suggest definitely trying 22.xx Mhz master clock frequency, particularly if you are using a 75-ohm cable and play alot of RBCD/XRCD material.

Enjoy!!!

I am trying the 22.5MHz frequency now but my K03X will not lock on it only flashing 'CLOCK 22M!'.IMG_2194.JPG