AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Spoke to Andy Kerr of BW UK

Got a surprising phone call from the UK the other day. I was enroute home and was the Orlando Airport trying to get through the security lines.

It was Andy Kerr, senior product manager at BW UK!

It was very cool to speak to someone from BW, we spoke for perhaps 20 minutes or so (I wonder what kind of charge I got from this international phone call lol).

We spoke about the 800D3 primarily. We discussed the differences between the 802D3 and the 800D3. So there were a few things I learned:

1. The 10" woofers on the 800D3 are better than I even thought they were, the stiffness and construction is well above that of the 802D3, couple that with the fact that they have less excursion required to produce same bass notes, it creates for less distortion.
2. The crossover frequency is the same on both the 802D3 and the 800D3, which hangs around 350hz (different than what I had thought or thought I had read in the past, I always thought the xover was at 450hz).
3. The 800D3 uses better parts for the LF xover than even the 802D3. Someone correct me, the 802D3 uses M caps. The 800D3 uses Mundorf Supremes?
4. The midrange and tweeter are same. I did not ask about the xovers if there are differences.... shoot, I should've asked.
5. The plinth is made entirely of aluminum but with difference bracing and improving bracing.
6. There are mass tuning dampers that they use on the 800D3, I didn't ask if these were also used on the 802D3.
7. The time between the 802D3 launch and the 800D3 launch, BW didn't just sit on their laurels. They were actually tuning the 800D3, which according to Andy, probably squeezed out the last 2-3% out of the system's performance.

Apparently, my dealer who was kind enough to offer me the demo between the 802D3 and the 800D3 in the same room on the same components, they set up the conversation... so I thought that was very cool and very nice of them. I give it .

I am going back to listen to the 802D3 and the 800D3 again, but this time, I am bringing as much of my gear as I can (Emm labs Dac2x, Emm labs tsdx, and Cary Audio SLP05).... to hear the 800D3 in a more familiar system.

I would definitely like to upgrade from the 802D3 to the 800D3 if that's the best move for me, but I am not going to do it just to upgrade to the next model #. My 802D3 is already very satisfying as they are.

Thumbs up to BW however... to take time just to talk to a regular consumer is very cool.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:56 AM

Nice ! Will your dealer let you demo the 800's at your home?
Old 02-04-2017, 02:19 PM

That is very cool!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
Got a surprising phone call from the UK the other day. I was enroute home and was the Orlando Airport trying to get through the security lines.

It was Andy Kerr, senior product manager at BW UK!

It was very cool to speak to someone from BW, we spoke for perhaps 20 minutes or so (I wonder what kind of charge I got from this international phone call lol).

We spoke about the 800D3 primarily. We discussed the differences between the 802D3 and the 800D3. So there were a few things I learned:

1. The 10" woofers on the 800D3 are better than I even thought they were, the stiffness and construction is well above that of the 802D3, couple that with the fact that they have less excursion required to produce same bass notes, it creates for less distortion.
2. The crossover frequency is the same on both the 802D3 and the 800D3, which hangs around 350hz (different than what I had thought or thought I had read in the past, I always thought the xover was at 450hz).
3. The 800D3 uses better parts for the LF xover than even the 802D3. Someone correct me, the 802D3 uses M caps. The 800D3 uses Mundorf Supremes?
4. The midrange and tweeter are same. I did not ask about the xovers if there are differences.... shoot, I should've asked.
5. The plinth is made entirely of aluminum but with difference bracing and improving bracing.
6. There are mass tuning dampers that they use on the 800D3, I didn't ask if these were also used on the 802D3.
7. The time between the 802D3 launch and the 800D3 launch, BW didn't just sit on their laurels. They were actually tuning the 800D3, which according to Andy, probably squeezed out the last 2-3% out of the system's performance.

Apparently, my dealer who was kind enough to offer me the demo between the 802D3 and the 800D3 in the same room on the same components, they set up the conversation... so I thought that was very cool and very nice of them. I give it .

I am going back to listen to the 802D3 and the 800D3 again, but this time, I am bringing as much of my gear as I can (Emm labs Dac2x, Emm labs tsdx, and Cary Audio SLP05).... to hear the 800D3 in a more familiar system.

I would definitely like to upgrade from the 802D3 to the 800D3 if that's the best move for me, but I am not going to do it just to upgrade to the next model #. My 802D3 is already very satisfying as they are.

Thumbs up to BW however... to take time just to talk to a regular consumer is very cool.
Great story Joey!

You clearly have found a very good dealer. There are not enough of these guys. Reward his service with your patronage whenever you can.

Bill
Old 02-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Great story Joey!

You clearly have found a very good dealer. There are not enough of these guys. Reward his service with your patronage whenever you can.

Bill
Yessir.. as much as I can, I bring him business - although not all my equipment comes from him (a balance of used, outside market stuff... we all have to watch the pocketbook). He is a good guy. Glad I found him.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:31 PM

And btw.... They are already working in the D4.... Hehehe
Old 02-04-2017, 07:11 PM

Joey
thanks for posting the note about the call from Andy Kerr. Pretty amazing considering the size and scope of the company. I spent at evening at Paragon Sight and Sound in Michigan with B&W's North America President, and it was a night to remember. It is very special to deal with a company that is trying to be on the cutting edge, yet has not forgotten the customers that are keeping them there.
Let us know how you 802 vs. 800 demo goes.
Steve
Old 02-05-2017, 07:39 AM

I think I might reconsider B&W speakers after reading that story. Not many companies left that have that personal touch at the high-end level.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 02-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Joey

Thats a great story, so nice to here B&W and not to big to listen to the enduser.

Hats off to your dealer, he is work keeping.

Brian
Old 02-05-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
And btw.... They are already working in the D4.... Hehehe
When does it end?