AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 02-22-2017, 01:20 PM

Hi Bryston,

I just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying my new 3B Cubed (number 000005 so I guess it may have one of the first shipped to the UK?). It replaces a 3B ST, which I bought second-hand ten years ago and which gave great service. But the 3B Cubed is simply light years ahead in performance - and it looks as good as it sounds.
Highly recommended!

And here's a great review in Dutch hi-fi mag Alpha-Audio that you haven't got listed in your review section: https://www.alpha-audio.nl/2016/05/r...yston-3b-sst3/

Regards,
Martin Herrema, Kent, UK
Old 02-28-2017, 08:39 AM

[IMG][/IMG]Hi Greg
Originally Posted by GregGale View Post
Mr. Tanner, I notice that it calls for a minimum clearance around the amplifier of 3.5 inches. I have an opening in my cabinet with other audio equipment which is 23 inches depth, 11 inches high (it would appear I am slightly short on height), and 28 inches in width. Overall when looking at total space it would appear to be sufficient but I am concerned with only having 11 inches in total height which would be short of the 3.5 inch minimum and this is something I cannot adjust.

The rear of the shelves of which I have four have at least 1/2 inch of space gap between the very back of the cabinet so air can flow for example on the bottom of the cabinet where the amplifier would be located upwards.

I do like to play loudly and don't want to have an issue with thermo shut down and do not want to use any ancillary fan. Would this space work?

Your response: You should be fine. The 3.5 inches is a suggestion but not set in stone and there is plenty of heatsink on the amplifiers.

james[/QUOTE]

James, I am seriously considering the new Bryston 14B cubed but am still concerned about installing the unit inside my cabinet. As mentioned previously I have enough space on the sides and rear based on your recommendations but short an inch on height. I play the unit with the cabinet doors open so some air gets into the cabinet but the back of the cabinet is fully enclosed. I do have approximately a 1 1/2 inch gap at the rear of each shelf to run cables so this would allow some heat to escape at the rear.

Currently I am running a Classe CA2300 (this photo shows my old CA2200 but it is the same size) that has a tunnel with a fan that will adjust in speed depending on the internal temperatures that does a good job at keeping the thermal temperatures stable.

If I go with the Bryston I want to make sure that during extended loud listening sessions in the summer months when it could be 80 degrees F in the house that the unit will not shut down due to thermal overload or due to excess heat shorten the life of the unit. I also do not want to use any accessory fan to keep the area cool.

I have attached a photo of the area the Bryston would be installed and would appreciate any additional feedback you might have.

Last edited by GregGale; 02-28-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]Hi Greg
Mr. Tanner, I notice that it calls for a minimum clearance around the amplifier of 3.5 inches. I have an opening in my cabinet with other audio equipment which is 23 inches depth, 11 inches high (it would appear I am slightly short on height), and 28 inches in width. Overall when looking at total space it would appear to be sufficient but I am concerned with only having 11 inches in total height which would be short of the 3.5 inch minimum and this is something I cannot adjust.

The rear of the shelves of which I have four have at least 1/2 inch of space gap between the very back of the cabinet so air can flow for example on the bottom of the cabinet where the amplifier would be located upwards.

I do like to play loudly and don't want to have an issue with thermo shut down and do not want to use any ancillary fan. Would this space work?

Your response: You should be fine. The 3.5 inches is a suggestion but not set in stone and there is plenty of heatsink on the amplifiers.

james
James, I am seriously considering the new Bryston 14B cubed but am still concerned about installing the unit inside my cabinet. As mentioned previously I have enough space on the sides and rear based on your recommendations but short an inch on height. I play the unit with the cabinet doors open so some air gets into the cabinet but the back of the cabinet is fully enclosed. I do have approximately a 1 1/2 inch gap at the rear of each shelf to run cables so this would allow some heat to escape at the rear.

Currently I am running a Classe CA2300 (this photo shows my old CA2200 but it is the same size) that has a tunnel with a fan that will adjust in speed depending on the internal temperatures that does a good job at keeping the thermal temperatures stable.

If I go with the Bryston I want to make sure that during extended loud listening sessions in the summer months when it could be 80 degrees F in the house that the unit will not shut down due to thermal overload or due to excess heat shorten the life of the unit. I also do not want to use any accessory fan to keep the area cool.

I have attached a photo of the area the Bryston would be installed and would appreciate any additional feedback you might have.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post

I have attached a photo of the area the Bryston would be installed and would appreciate any additional feedback you might have.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Greg

Yes it is just a guideline so an inch or so (that's what she said) is not going to be an issue for you.

james
Old 03-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi

I think because the price to build a 3B is not that much less than a 4B so the prices at retail are closer than you would assume. So I think most customers pay a little more and go with the 4B.

That being said there is no 'better/best' approach when we build gear. The 3B is identical to the 4B except for power supply size and number of output devices.

james
Hello James - listening to your amps now while planning a system upgrade. A serious consideration is monitors plus subs, which would bring the 2.5 cubed into play.

Question: are there any circuit topology differences between the 2.5 SST3 and the 3B/4B cubed? for example, is the 2.5 cubed balanced throughout?

many thanks.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hello James - listening to your amps now while planning a system upgrade. A serious consideration is monitors plus subs, which would bring the 2.5 cubed into play.

Question: are there any circuit topology differences between the 2.5 SST3 and the 3B/4B cubed? for example, is the 2.5 cubed balanced throughout?

many thanks.
HI,

No differences between the 2.5 and 3B/4B other than power supply size and number of output devices.

james'
Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Superb Review on Bryston 7B Cubed

March, 2017

Hi Folks,

Excellent review on the Bryston 7B Cubed amplifiers (in English) from “Audio Activity Magazine” in Italy.

Please click on link:

http://www.audio-activity.com/bryston-7bsup3-en.html
Old 03-13-2017, 10:59 AM

Hi James

We have arranged for some reviews in Dutch media, would you place links on the Bryston Website please?

Alpha-Audio.nl:

Quote: "Bryston 4B Cubed is the new reference"

https://www.alpha-audio.nl/2016/10/r...we-referentie/

Alpha-Audio.nl:
Quote "The Bryston BDP-2 is sonically top of the bill when it comes to neutrality, transparency and fidelity. The latest "Manic Moose" firmware updates leave little to be desired and Roon compatibility is a valuable addition. In the next updates we would welcome a more intuitive and user friendly user interface. Then this outstanding sounding player will at once become more attractive to a larger audience".

https://www.alpha-audio.nl/2016/07/r...igital-player/

Music Emotion:
Quote: The new Cubed series demonstrates that high power amps can sound subtle, refined, and detailed. The pre-amp (BP26/MPS-2) delivers excellent performance and the same goes for the BDP-2 and BDA-3.

https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/25304/Re...ed-Series.html
Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM

New Bryston 7B3 Amplifier Review

I am an old music lover, and I recently exchanged my Bryston 7BSST2 amplifiers for the new Bryston 7B3 amplifiers. The rest of my system consists of a Bryston BP 26 preamp, QUAD 2905 ESL speakers, and a Cambridge Azur 840C CD player.
Was the difference between the amplifiers noticeable even for someone with my “elderly” hearing? Yes, definitely it was, in fact immediately.
First of all the soundstage became wider and somehow more “filled out.” Furthermore the overall presentation sounds “smoother”, i.e. possibly what some people might consider more tube like.

But what is most interesting and noteworthy, is how much better the new Bryston 7B3 amplifiers complement the electrostatic QUAD ESL 2905 speakers. There is a “Liquidity” in the sound presentation which was not present with the older model Bryston amplifiers.

Furthermore with this 7B3 amplifier combination voices, both classical (operatic) and popular, sound clearer and more lifelike with a better presentation of being in the area with the listener.

Additionally all of the B3 amplifiers are now available with blue LEDs, which may not be important for everyone, but I believe that the difference between the blue lights and a possible overload with the red lights is much easier to notice than the previous green vs. red, even though I know that that combination is still available.

Peter
Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: High Praise For Our 3B Cubed

April, 2017

James

“ I had the little 3BSST3 in the store on the Magico M3's last month.

WOW!!

I honestly wasn't expecting what I heard.

Tight bass, Sweet top end. I kept standing over it saying "where the hell is all that power coming from?

Not the new SST3, but I've owned the 9BSST2 FOREVER.

No wonder there is a 20 year warranty. It's built like a tank.”

Mike
Suncoast Audio