AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The Sophia 2 bass is very good indeed but I have a feeling it is not so much the different Wilson speakers as it is careful placement and voicing the speaker to the room. I did not have that impression when I listened to the Alexandria 2, in fact it was one of the most impressive sounding speakers I have ever heard if not the exactly the most "musical" combo with the Krell Evo 900s. There is also the Maxx 3 which is quite an improvement from the Maxx 2 and we'll see what the new Sasha brings.
It's not out of the realm of possibility that it's a room issue. The MAXX and Alexandria have always been in the same demo room, the largest in the store. But by the same token I've also heard the Sophias in there and they sound fine. Ok, way better than fine! Anything more posted on the Wislon site re the Sasha since last week?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 AM

Hey guys, wait till you give the Acapellas a listen! Try the High Violons MkIV! For small to medium size rooms, I have yet to hear better.

Now, does that mean I will NOT upgrade and stay faithful to just music? I tried that way back when I had the all digital McIntosh combo ... and after a few months, I itched!

Somewhere, somehow there will be something that will cause you to scratch that wallet of yours. Believe me! I tried and failed. Maybe Jean Marc you are better than me in discipline and control but I know for sure, somehow, someday, I will itch again. Why?

OK, take my case, the speakers. Nice sounding as they are and magical performance they do, STILL I have something to bitch about. At $64k they do not give me the $64k build I expected - as of Wilson. Yes, the horns and the ion plasma I can discount BUT the bass cabinet ... its quality and build is still not up to the mark as that of the Wilson or Rockport or even the Magico's. Acrylic over some form of MDF/HDF. IF theyhad bass cabs like the Wilsons, I could say "thats it" just as I would over a pair of Wavacs HE833v1.3 + PR-T1 combo. Why? Because the build is simply gorgeous and up to the mark, even at $100k+ and they do magic with almost all kinds of speakers with the 150 watts of SET power.

What I am trying to say is today I may seem happy and contended but there will be a time when something striking comes along ... and the itch begins all over! For sure, I will ...
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post

What I am trying to say is today I may seem happy and contended but there will be a time when something striking comes along ... and the itch begins all over! For sure, I will ...
jerry

I know what you mean. I do not have the itch now and I know that if I do get it I am going to have to move my 2-channel into one of my other large rooms. That will move will bring on its own set of issues.
Jim
Old 05-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Im itchin all over!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbrown View Post
Im itchin all over!
Is there are cure for the LuFlu, or does it just give temporary relief?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I would say temporary ... and it all depends what medication you have that stopped the itch. It could last for a few weeks (I nearly itched when the Wavac combo came in after only like 3 weeks when I had the second pair of MC501's) or a few years like when I had my WP6, at least a full 2 years!

The other would be when one is dead broke, then of course the itch cant even be cured! Or the itch will never start cause one will be so engrossed and busy with the situation on how to make more money ... the itch takes second place.

For all matter,s itch only happen when the wallet is full! Somehow, the money scratches the wallet! Thats how my father put it to me whenever I asked for some money for toys and he would say "huh, you have money and you got nowhere to spend? Cant you hold onto it for more than one day?".

I thought that was some silly statement until I begin to utter the same to my girls!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Right now I would say temporary. I have so far to go to get rid of the itch that I cant see much daylight! But there are moments of satisfaction even now.

I think that when you reach the point of your goal (equipment as a means to the end (which is the sound you want)) then there is a "stand on the peak and look around" moment. When you get to the rarefied air like on Everest (not the Audioquest cable) then it is likened to the system you want, and then improvements are so relatively small and cost is so prohibitive, that one can say that they are done (for a while). But again, if the system is only as strong as its weakest point, then every improvement requires an examination of the whole chain! Ahhh!