AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 12-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Bodhisattva

Cool Vitus SIA-025 review

Hi folks, having lived with my Vitus SIA-025 for a while, I thought it was time to post a review. Firstly the Vitus has wonderful Danish industrial design that is timeless. Everything about its design and attention to detail is excellent right down the the shipping materials and remote control (which is the best i've ever seen & is rechargeable). The SIA-025 is a true balanced, dual mono, 25 Watt class A amp which uses an efficient Vitus-designed UI-core potted "floating" transformer with separate windings for the left & right channels. The preamplifier stage is made from one single "buffer" module which is also used in the SL-102.. so .. really good, whilst the output stage is drawn from the SM-010 mono amps. The Vitus in every respect is the best integrated amp i've owned by a fair margin.

This amp is very flexible and has 100 watts of class a/b power @8ohms which is perfect for background listening or for movies, but can also be switched over to class A mode for best sound. At power up the amp defaults to class a/b operation and a moderate volume level of -46db from memory which I like, though i've heard atleast one other audiophile state he'd prefer the amp default to class A. I personally like the factory settings however.

But all that build quality would be useless if it didn't sound good! The easiest way to describe the sound of the SIA-025 is it sounds like real music. It avoids straying into sterility or sounding analytical by offering up a nice balance of warmth, tonal purity, richness (body) and tube-like liquidity. The Vitus has excellent resolution which reveals subtle, but important information in the music such as a bell chime in the background, or the light brush of a snare drum. It also has fast transients and can be delicate when the music calls for it. The treble is somewhat softened and the lower midrange slightly emphasised, giving the amp a sound resembling good vinyl. And the effect is cumulative as you add more Vitus components. In short, Vitus sounds best with other Vitus components. In saying that however, the SIA-025 is remarkably flexible. Not only because it can be switched from class a/b to class a, but also because this amp has the uncanny ability to sound good paired with a range of speakers and setups. It just "does its thing" and always produces great sound. Perhaps its ability to make average recordings sound very good extends to less than perfect speakers?

I also strongly agree with Chris Thomas's comments in his HiFi Plus review in which he stated -

"From stand-by, straight into class A I would say that you are looking at a half hour before it really begins to sing and then it just seems to keep getting better. Even after a solid afternoon and evening's listening I would swear that the amplifier was growing more fluid, textural and resolute with better dynamic contrasts, tonal shading and the delicacy of its musical message just seems to become more profound."

As a side note, good isolation is very important to bring out the best sound from this amp. Notwithstanding the potted, floating transformer and anti-resonant chassis, stuffing so much gear into a modest sized chassis does create some resonance. Placing the amp on a solid rack with Stillpoints Ultra 5's and an Ultra LPI on top made a big difference which created a blacker background, improved bass & brought the sound stage into clearer focus. I now consider the Stillpoints mandatory with the Vitus Sig Series such has been the level of improvement.

But has it got balls? That is a question I get quite a bit. With "only" 25 watts class A power, on paper it doesn't look like this amp is capable of driving a full size speaker with a moderately difficult load. Let's look a bit deeper. Most of the amp's real estate (and 42kg weight) is taken up by a huge 1.4kVa Vitus-designed UI-core transformer. Most audiophile-grade toroidal transformers lose up to 25% voltage (both channels driven), however the Vitus loses max 1.5% voltage tested. It is also a very high current amp, meaning that 1.4kVa tranny feels more like a big 2kVA tranny. In practice I have found the SIA-025 drives my Magico S5's without breaking a sweat and at only 140hrs is already delivering deep bass and a nice, coherent sound stage. Of course once my amp and speakers reach 500hrs the bass and sound stage should open up even more & sound more resolving.

In summary, this is a sublimely good integrated amp. I never thought i'd find an integrated which would convince me to dispose of my previous Boulder 1060/1010 combo, but the Vitus achieves that feat and sounds like very good high end separates. That revelation coincided with a wish to reduce my box count and change direction with my system. What I didn't realize at the time was how much of a sea change that would prove to be!

Cheers,
Bodhi.

The Vitus securely packed on its own plastic pallet..

Initial setup..

On my Taoc rack with Stillpoints Ultra 5's installed..

With both Taoc racks installed..

So what's under the hood?..

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 04-08-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 12-22-2013, 09:13 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

David... Super nice, looks very well made; glad you are enjoying the new addition. Great pics too, keep us posted as it breaks in!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Bodhisattva

Thanks Ivan . The Vitus is already sounding great. I will post another update when it reaches 250hrs, and again when it reaches that magic number...500hrs

Cheers,

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-22-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: updated thread
Old 12-22-2013, 11:21 PM

Hi David,

Beautiful looking integrated amp and very well built. I bet it sounds fantastic with the S5. As a jazz lover, I can see the advantage of being able to switch to pure Class A to enjoy jazz vocals, piano or small combos. Then switching to Class A/B for big band, Santana or Tchaikovsky at full tilt. Seems like all bases are well covered.

Enjoy,
Ken
Old 12-23-2013, 12:00 AM

So cool to find a component that meets all your needs. Congrats.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 AM

Excellent write-up. Vitus gears seem to synergize well with Magico speakers. I am tempted.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi David,

Beautiful looking integrated amp and very well built. I bet it sounds fantastic with the S5. As a jazz lover, I can see the advantage of being able to switch to pure Class A to enjoy jazz vocals, piano or small combos. Then switching to Class A/B for big band, Santana or Tchaikovsky at full tilt. Seems like all bases are well covered.

Enjoy,
Ken
Thanks Ken There is no doubt that Magico speakers have great synergy with Vitus. The S5's are great "all rounders" and sound terrific with a wide range of music. With Norah Jones, this combination provides an engaging sound and feeling of intimacy. The Vitus imbues Norah's voice with warmth and delicacy, and provides correct tone and body for piano and acoustic guitar. It seems to serve jazz, female vocals & brass instruments particularly well and provides warmth, richness and life to these styles. It should be mentioned the S5's also do a great job of handling large, complex orchestral pieces without getting flustered.

Re: switching from class a to class a/b, to be honest i'm having a hard time getting the Vitus to run out of steam in class a! I find I only really need to switch it over to class a/b for movies. But it is nice to be able to switch over to class a/b for background listening also

Cheers,

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-23-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyjack View Post
So cool to find a component that meets all your needs. Congrats.
I agree, and thanks Willy
Old 12-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEE View Post
Excellent write-up. Vitus gears seem to synergize well with Magico speakers. I am tempted.
Thanks Clee I agree. When I was auditioning the S5's, I heard them paired with a range of amps including the Dart separates, Vitus RI-100, Vitus SIA-025, Audia Flight Strumento pre/power & the Soulution 710/540 combo. Of those, I liked the Soulution 710 the most, followed by the SIA-025, but can more easily live with the Vitus. And i've found adding further Vitus components has a cumulative (positive) effect as I mentioned. Btw, another member told me Vitus' current production run of SIA-025's are sold out, and new orders wont be delivered until March, 2014. So they must be doing something right

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-23-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

Re: switching from class a to class a/b, to be honest i'm having a hard time getting the Vitus to run out of steam in class a!

Cheers,
David,

This is a great problem to have! I also would stay in the Class A mode if there's enough steam. Sounds like the S5 is not too difficult a load, which is a good thing. I've never even moved the needles on my XA-100.5 (which denotes leaving Class A).

Best,
Ken