AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Jerome, anyone in the high end audio hobby should know that "The journey is just as fun and important as the destination". Enjoy the ride and have fun discovering and enjoying different gear.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Hey Jérôme, you sound like you are at the place I was until I went all MSB components. I couldn't believe how something could sound so good & then so bad from one recording to another. The sound was ultra revealing but sometimes the synergy just wasn't there. Am in a happy place with my system at the mo.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 AM

Guys,
Thanks.
Serge, I know that the hunt is fun. It has always been the case for me too but I'm fed up now and I want to spend my energy to something else. If I buy an other preamp than the 300B, it is just because I have no choice at this point. Vinyl playback left my system and I cannot stand it.
Yes, I must be crazy but not so much. Vinyl has always been a high love for me and this went beyond all with the ARC REF PHONO 2 . So I just cannot accept the sound I ' m hearing now from my vinyl playback with the 300B.
I hope that this does not come from the use of unbalanced cables between the REF2 and the 300B. Because this will still be the same with the other preamp I will get. I always listened to the REF 2 in the C1000P through balanced outputs until now. ( I am actually using the XLR outputs of the REF2 but with a "bastard" cinch / XLR SE6 WW cable).
Honestly, when I will get back to the correct sound with the REF 2, my "quest" will be over in audio, I SWEAR !
Anyway, my next preamp will have a phono stage. If it is better than the REF 2, then the REF2 will leave the house.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinid

Ha!

And everyone thinks I'm crazy Now you are getting a taste of what I was experiencing with different gear. We want, what we want, and sometimes it takes a long time to get there. Good luck Jerome. Enjoy the ride.
Joe,
Yes I understand you. Well I'm trying....! .
And yes, like you, I think that I have a very precise idea of the sound I'm looking for.
Actually there is very little chance that the 300B would leave my home.
It is stunning with digital. The Remora radio remote control is great to use, especially when I work in my office next to the audio room with the door opened. And yesterday night, fed up by the poor LP playback I listened to a recording with my Grado headphones on the 300B. I lied on the floor and I was probably looking like Doug's big Leibowski signature ! Simply wonderful and mesmerizing !
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Joe,
Yes I understand you. Well I'm trying....! .
And yes, like you, I think that I have a very precise idea of the sound I'm looking for.
Actually there is very little chance that the 300B would leave my home.
It is stunning with digital. The Remora radio remote control is great to use, especially when I work in my office next to the audio room with the door opened. And yesterday night, fed up by the poor LP playback I listened to a recording with my Grado headphones on the 300B. I lied on the floor and I was probably looking like Doug's big Leibowski signature ! Simply wonderful and mesmerizing !
Ah, Jerome. That's what I am talking about. Exploring our options is a wonderful thing. I am now a big believer that multiple pieces of gear for different flavors of music. It's all fun!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jérôme.......Where did the Zen Jérôme go?
Go back to mac ..Jerome
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Gary. My wife will kill me for what I'm going to do. But that will be a fast death !
Jerome face the fact that you are a incurable audiophile It is obvious that if you hang around here you will be on a constant upgrade wheel of fortune Looking forward to reading about your next audio adventure By the way your wife tried to make you feel bad that you are not satisfied with what you have, that is what wives do. Just smile, nod and say yes dear
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW

Jerome face the fact that you are a incurable audiophile It is obvious that if you hang around here you will be on a constant upgrade wheel of fortune Looking forward to reading about your next audio adventure By the way your wife tried to make you feel bad that you are not satisfied with what you have, that is what wives do. Just smile, nod and say yes dear
David,
I will be cured with my new preamp.
Besides I changed the power cables on
my main amps and it is much better.
At our level, everything really matters.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Jérôme and all,

You should see the movie in this thread: http://www.audioaficionado.org/gener...hile-club.html

I find it very entertaining and any of us will identify with some part of the movie.

Cheers, Pedro
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Before you replace any components cables etc, have you tried adjusting & fine tuning the VTA?