AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Stillpoints

Stillpoints Lower Your Noise Floor

Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Default Stillpoints under the Mcintosh MC501 amplifiers

I decided to try Stillpoints Ultra SS on my Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand speakers. I have hardwood floors throughout my room, and getting a pleasing balance of music has proven a challenge over time. The floors themselves are highly reflective, but are also uneven, and suffer from obvious vibrations when music is playing.

But before I installed them on my speakers I decided to try them under my Mcintosh MC501 amps.
My MC501’s sit on 4 inch black lacquered, maple platforms from Mapleshade, which themselves are on Mapleshade isoblocks. They look great and it appears to isolate the amps from floor vibrations that my speakers release into the floor.

I played a SACD through my Oppo BDP 95 (the new MFSL Pretenders SACD of the first album) to gauge the effect of the Stillpoints. My initial listens to this disc, last week, weren’t entirely positive, and I felt the soundstage was too one dimensional, and that overall, the SACD sounded kind of fatiguing. I found sibilants to be accentuated, as well.
With the Stillpoints installed in the point up configuration, I was really surprised what happened. The sense of REFINEMENT, better sound staging, and relaxing presentation of the music was fairly obvious, but I still had to triple check what I heard. I removed the Stillpoints a few times and, each time I did, the fatiguing, element came back. The sound was just more “in my face,” and one dimensional.
I also tried reversing the Stillpoints, to the point down configuration, but wasn’t thrilled with the sound. I perceived a loss of low frequency energy and just less bass, overall.

I have a feeling there may be more Stillpoints in my future….
I don’t think they are coming out from under the amps…

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 12-16-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I decided to try Stillpoints Ultra SS on my Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand speakers. I have hardwood floors throughout my room, and getting a pleasing balance of music has proven a challenge over time. The floors themselves are highly reflective, but are also uneven, and suffer from obvious vibrations when music is playing. But before I installed them on my speakers I decided to try them under my Mcintosh MC501 amps. My MC501’s sit on 4 inch black lacquered, maple platforms from Mapleshade, which themselves are on Mapleshade isoblocks. They look great and it appears to isolate the amps from floor vibrations that my speakers release into the floor. I played a SACD through my Oppo BDP 95 (the new MFSL Pretenders SACD of the first album) to gauge the effect of the Stillpoints. My initial listens to this disc, last week, weren’t entirely positive, and I felt the soundstage was too one dimensional, and that overall, the SACD sounded kind of fatiguing. I found sibilants to be accentuated, as well. With the Stillpoints installed in the point up configuration, I was really surprised what happened. The sense of REFINEMENT, better sound staging, and relaxing presentation of the music was fairly obvious, but I still had to triple check what I heard. I removed the Stillpoints a few times and, each time I did, the fatiguing, element came back. The sound was just more “in my face,” and one dimensional. I also tried reversing the Stillpoints, to the point down configuration, but wasn’t thrilled with the sound. I perceived a loss of low frequency energy and just less bass, overall. I have a feeling there may be more Stillpoints in my future…. I don’t think they are coming out from under the amps…
Ah, that oh so familiar story. Another slave marching to the tune of world domination. I thought we fought (trade) wars to stop this kind of thing...

Seriously though, mrmf1971, I am glad that they work for you. Get an additional job, so that you buy more, quicker!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 12-16-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
Ah, that oh so familiar story. Another slave marching to the tune of world domination. I thought we fought (trade) wars to stop this kind of thing...

Seriously though, mrmf1971, I am glad that they work for you. Get an additional job, so that you buy more, quicker!
They certainly do work. The "pro reviews" aren't hyperbole. Additional ease of musical presentation and resolution are built into the Ultra SS, without question. Nothing gets "brighter," either. Just "clearer." I feel like if someone feels that their system is missing a certain "something," Stillpoints may well be that "something."

8 more are on the way to me, along with spikes, for my speakers. I really looking forward to what these can do on my speakers.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

Old 12-16-2014, 09:46 PM

Christian...Thanks for this information!

I've wondered how the Stillpoints would work under a pair of MC501's.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:37 PM

Pics of the amps with stillpoints? Considering the same under my 501's!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:47 PM

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siglo vi View Post
Pics of the amps with stillpoints? Considering the same under my 501's!
Just saw this post....
So here you go. Front and side view. The amp just sits on the high hat part of the Stillpoint SS. The high hat isn't completely tight against the body, as Stillpoints recommends.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0857.jpg (79.3 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0867.jpg (95.7 KB, 274 views)

Old 01-10-2015, 12:49 AM

Stillpoints is like drug. Once you have tried it, you get addicted to it. More and more stillpoints are added.

I now have 14 pieces of Ultra 5, 8 pieces of Ultra SS and 8 pieces of Ultra mini under my system. More is on its way.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:58 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
Stillpoints is like drug. Once you have tried it, you get addicted to it. More and more stillpoints are added.

I now have 14 pieces of Ultra 5, 8 pieces of Ultra SS and 8 pieces of Ultra mini under my system. More is on its way.
I completely lost count how many I'm using.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-10-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post

I just installed them on my speakers, tonight. I installed Ultra SS's with the spikes.
It's difficult to exactly say what they're doing here, because quickly A-B'ing is impossible. But after about 4 cd's, I'd say there is NO negative, versus my factory spikes. I may be getting more detail, but, if not that, the soundstage may have opened up to make the instruments easier to differentiate between.

I was a bit skeptical while installing these on the speakers as I didn't think I'd be able to get the speakers as stable and spiked to the floor as I had with the factory spikes. It took some trial and error but I got them stable and I like what I hear. I just can't specifically say what effect they had which is something I was able to do with the amps where I could switch the Stillpoints out every 30 seconds or so.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:57 AM

sir, is that granite slab under the Mc amps ? those are definitely not my cup of tea. The sound of equipment placed under granite, marble, glass makes it in my opinion hard and brittle. The stillpoints in between the Mc and granite would be a definite help as you have experienced.
Good luck with your experiments but stillpoints are great.