AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Right. I get that part. I just am unsure of where the process loop part came in. So, basically, in your scenario, I would be using the MEN220 as a pre-amp, leaving my DAVE with a fixed signal, in DAC mode only. Yet, essentially, the MEN220 does an additional ADC to analog conversion after the DAVE, which wouldn't seem optimal. This makes me think that yeah, I'm barking up the wrong tree. Shuck. I thought I might be on to something.
EVOLVIST.......No, you would not be using the MEN220 as a preamp. What I described above put the MEN220 between you preamp/DAC (Chord DAVE) and your amplifier. The Chord DAVE would continue to be your preamp. The Room Perfect processing would happen beteen the preamp and the amplifier.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Racing Hoopties

Evolvist - What are you trying to accomplish with the MEN220?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Merry Christmas to all

EVOLVIST.......Basic membership on Audio Aficionado requires your first 10 posts to be approved before they appear on the forum. After 10 posts have been approved you will be able to start your own threads.

Subscriber level membership omits the 10 post requirement along with adding many membership benefits unavailable to basic members. If you would like to become a Subscriber follow this link:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-15-2017, 10:47 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Evolvist, I am looking for an MEN220 for both its room correction prowess as well as using it as a completely transparent active crossover integrating dual subs into my system.

The MEN stands out as its really two+ units in one.

If you only need room correction, there are other options (including software that can EQ ahead of your DAC). Where I'm sold is the additional features, which aren't necessarily for everyone.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 AM

Just to let you know the processing in men220 also happens in software. The crossover feature also happens in software.

This is how men220 and all similar products work:

analog input-> analog to digital conv. -> digital processing -> digital to analog conv. -> analog volume control on variable output.

Digital processing includes all room eq. Xover, voicing curves, and other digital filtering.

Lyngdorf and accuphase units work exactly the same way. The differences could only occur in the analog to digital and digital to analog conv. Due to different chip sets and implementations used. Once the signal is digitized, they will all perform equally given they use the same sw(room perfect).

On analog to digital conv. : if the sampling is high enough, this could be transparent. Analog audio is in continuous time that is indefinite number of samples limited only to the ability of your medium( i.e. how many of those indefinite impulses that can be possibly/physically burned on the vinyl surface of the record). If you take samples high enough, you can create a close enough digital representation of the analog signal. Can you tell a difference? The answer varies per person.

There is also a mental insatisfaction involved with this. Now you know your signal is resampled(digitized) you will always wonder if you are defeating your good dac ignorance is a bliss, I sincerely apologize for telling you how these thing work
Old 05-04-2017, 04:12 PM

I looked up again. Men220 uses an akm analog to digital chip to digitize the signal and two wolfson dac chips (one per ch) to convert back to analog after processing. These wolfson chips are 24/192 and about 120db ratio. Not bad but certainly not the best.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Thanks again Dan for this review.

I FINALLY bought an MEN220. Best upgrade I have ever done.

I can't believe how awesome this magic box is.

Anyone on the fence should demo one in your room.

I can't believe how much bass I am hearing. Clean, tight bass!!!

I shut off my subs for now.

Had I bought the MEN220 before I had bought my subs, I wouldn't have felt the need for subs.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 05-13-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Thanks again Dan for this review.

I FINALLY bought an MEN220. Best upgrade I have ever done.

I can't believe how awesome this magic box is.

Anyone on the fence should demo one in your room.

I can't believe how much bass I am hearing. Clean, tight bass!!!

I shut off my subs for now.

Had I bought the MEN220 before I had bought my subs, I wouldn't have felt the need for subs.
Congratulations. That is awesome. Did you let the MEN do all the calculations or did you utilize other software/hardware?
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtroo View Post
Congratulations. That is awesome. Did you let the MEN do all the calculations or did you utilize other software/hardware?

Thank you Tim.

I let the MEN220 do everything.

Out the box, no exaggeration, a 25-30% improvement in sound.

I listened today for 90 minutes at like 95+ decibels...zero fatigue.

This little box is amazing!!!

Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Racing Hoopties

Glad to hear you score an MEN220 and find it useful. You are only using a fraction of its capabilities although perhaps the biggest impact function, Room Perfect. It will help you seamlessly integrate your subs and when you get bored, you can do some measurements of your room and create custom EQ settings for your room. It is a digital Swiss Army knife!
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack