AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 11-30-2015, 09:50 AM

Default Sonus Faber Speakers vs Wilsons

I am looking to change my Wislon 6.1s for a speaker that is a bit warmer and more organic so I am considering Sonus Faber.

I currently have two sets of amps, a ARC Ref 5SE/ARC 75SE and ARC Ref5SE and 2x krell Evolution 600s. the speakers I am interested in are:

* SF Amati Futuras
* SF Stradavari
* SF Ellipsas

I appreciate that is a wide range but they are available at nice used prices in my range. Questions,

Are the Futuras a little dull an undynamic based on the Sterophile review?
Is the Ref 75 SE out of the picture due to lack of power particularly for the Strads?

I live in the UK and the room is 30'x20' but I do not listen too loud.

Are the Ellipsas outclassed by the others?
Old 11-30-2015, 03:36 PM

The strads are the best of not just this group, but for some, the whole SF product line. Having lived with most of the SF line, the strads just fall short of the mighty Aida.

And yes, the Ref 75 will easily handle the Strads.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:58 PM

If you'd like to stay in the Wilson family, to me the Sophia 3 is the only Wilson speaker that makes me smile.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:08 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by George47 View Post
I am looking to change my Wislon 6.1s for a speaker that is a bit warmer and more organic so I am considering Sonus Faber.

I currently have two sets of amps, a ARC Ref 5SE/ARC 75SE and ARC Ref5SE and 2x krell Evolution 600s. the speakers I am interested in are:

* SF Amati Futuras
* SF Stradavari
* SF Ellipsas

I appreciate that is a wide range but they are available at nice used prices in my range. Questions,

Are the Futuras a little dull an undynamic based on the Sterophile review?
Is the Ref 75 SE out of the picture due to lack of power particularly for the Strads?

I live in the UK and the room is 30'x20' but I do not listen too loud.

Are the Ellipsas outclassed by the others?
If you are looking to maximize dynamic range on any of those speakers, the REF75SE is insufficient. In every other parameter, the REF75SE is gorgeous.

If you are looking at Elipsas, they should be the SE (or Red as it is sometimes called in Europe). It uses the Strad woofer and tweeter and resembles the Strad in the way it pressurizes the room.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:07 AM

Metaphacts, as somebody who's just bought a pair of Elipsa SE (used) for a very narrow room, I'd really love to get some advice on suitable set-up from an experienced hand. I'm playing with positioning all the time, but I feel like my approach is slightly haphazard. Would you be willing to share any advice? I know you're THE guy when it comes to SF setup!

Sorry to thread hijack, George47. FWIW, I heard the Amati Futuras sound a little bit "dark" (I wouldn't say dull or undynamic per se) at a demo with a friend where they were driven Audio Research amps (I wish I could remember which, but I know they had KT120 valves). However, now that my friend has bought the Futuras and brought them home to his own system (Jadis JA80 amps) they sound completely different: open, lively yet smooth, very dynamic and with great impact. I'm an enormous fan of these speakers.

As regards the Elipsa SE, I've only just bought them and I'm still getting used to them, but they're a joy to listen to. I've never heard the Strads, but I strongly suspect that if you have the space and budget, they'd be magnificent. I can't really compare the Elipsas to the Futuras as I've never heard them in the same room or the same system, but my sense is that the Futuras are capable of more than the Elipsas. Of course, preference always plays a part at this level.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 AM

amati futura's dull and undynamic per stereophile? Aren't they on the recommended loudspeakers list with a class A rating?
Old 12-01-2015, 11:57 AM

I have a pair of the Elipsa SE Reds driven by an Audio Research Ref 110. They are magical, like baby Strads. I have never had the opportunity to hear a pair of the Stradavari other than at shows. I have spent a bit of time with both the Lilium and Aida.

I have talked to my dealer, who is a very good friend about moving to the Ref 75se. He told me the Ref 75se would not have any problem driving my Elipsa SEs. So I would think they would have no problem driving the Stradavari either.

If it were my choice, I would choose the Stradavari. They are everything the Elipsa SE Reds are and more. I would not even consider a pair of the original Elipsa speakers.

Diapason, have you played with the rake? I have found it can make a big difference.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post

Diapason, have you played with the rake? I have found it can make a big difference.
Not so much other than trying to get both speakers to have equal rake (bad floor!) but I'll adjust that more now that you say it. The biggest surprise for me so far is that I'm playing with really large toe-in, which is the exact opposite of what I was expecting. I think this might be a room-specific solution in my case, since the room is small.

Anyway, maybe I should start a new thread rather than hijack this one any further. Sorry George47!
Old 12-01-2015, 01:34 PM

Thanks guys.

I am getting the impression that if I can get them the Strads are the ones to go for and provided I do not need them too loud (rarely listen above 90-95db) then they are the top ones. The Ellipsas are a bit cheaper but I am not pushed to economise and do not need to worry too much about space.

I wondered whether the Futuras would sound better as they are a more modern design but I am looking for something more human, more organic and more relaxing. I have not heard the Futura but the Strads I heard were sublime.

I did listen to Wilson Sophia 3s and they are a more integrated Wilson that is less on a razors edge than Watt/Puppys but think the Strads may hit the target better.

I just wanted to make sure that I would not be hitting the end stops having never driven Strads. I am sure the Krells would do it but it seems a 'sin' to run Strads with a SS and not a nice valve amp.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:14 PM

Have owned Stradivari for some years, and tried out many amplifiers tube / solidstate at the time.
Don't let the relatively high sensitivity conclude these are easy drive. They just go a bit louder with less Watts, ease of drive is something else.
I would say keep the sinfully Big Krells, and forget about 'nice' valve amps.
In my case a big Accuphase transformed the Strads at that time, and the Accuphase was not the most expensive amp tried.

Most SF have huge electrical phase shift going on, which is the actual amp killer.
If only the 4 ohms would be very linear..
Have listened to Futura on many occasion, I would be very tempted to say that in a most optimal circumstance the Futura has the nod to Stradivari. Futura surely sounds modern, fresh, exciting, and does offer a better more free soundstage to my ears. I would go Futura anytime.