AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-25-2018, 05:57 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Default MX150 wont fully power on. Help!

Hey Everyone!

I have been away from the site for a LONG time... Glad to be back but was greeted with my subscription being lapsed... DOH!!!

I have an issue with an MX150 I am hoping someone here can help. I tried searching on the forum here as well as out on the greater internet and didnt see this issue addressed anywhere.

My MX150 is hooked up to a PurePower 2000. The batteries are old (I have replacements, just dont have them installed yet) and unfortunately, I had a short power sag/spike/something happen while I was using the system. The PurePower didnt keep the equipment running; everything immediately turned off, then came back on. The MX150 did the reboot count down, but got stuck with the display saying "McIntosh MX150" and the power standby light flashing. I let it sit like this for about 5 minutes with no change. I unplugged the unit and let it sit unplugged for ~20 hours. I plugged it back in, it did the count down, and is stuck again with the display saying "McIntosh MX150" and the power standby light flashing.

I tried doing a MCU Reset, but it wont let me do it in its current state. Of all the issues I have ever run into with the two MX150's I have, this is a new one.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should try? I have a Mc dealer locally and will contact them tomorrow, but they arent the most knowledgeable on this sort of thing.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
Hey Everyone!

I have been away from the site for a LONG time... Glad to be back but was greeted with my subscription being lapsed... DOH!!!

I have an issue with an MX150 I am hoping someone here can help. I tried searching on the forum here as well as out on the greater internet and didnt see this issue addressed anywhere.

My MX150 is hooked up to a PurePower 2000. The batteries are old (I have replacements, just dont have them installed yet) and unfortunately, I had a short power sag/spike/something happen while I was using the system. The PurePower didnt keep the equipment running; everything immediately turned off, then came back on. The MX150 did the reboot count down, but got stuck with the display saying "McIntosh MX150" and the power standby light flashing. I let it sit like this for about 5 minutes with no change. I unplugged the unit and let it sit unplugged for ~20 hours. I plugged it back in, it did the count down, and is stuck again with the display saying "McIntosh MX150" and the power standby light flashing.

I tried doing a MCU Reset, but it wont let me do it in its current state. Of all the issues I have ever run into with the two MX150's I have, this is a new one.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should try? I have a Mc dealer locally and will contact them tomorrow, but they arent the most knowledgeable on this sort of thing.

Thanks!
Try setting to factory defaults through the web interface if you can't access the OSD.

There is a Compact Flash Memory Card on the back that SHOULD NOT BE REMOVED unless instructed by McIntosh Labs that could be the problem. There was another thread one user reported "This is the card that recently got blitzed in my MX150 during a power surge. Mc sent a replacement to my dealer the next day and I was up and running the day following."

I suggest contacting McIntosh Technical Support via there website for proper procedure recommendations.

Good Luck!
Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Craig.......Good to see you visiting AA again. Sorry to hear about your MX150 dilemma. You should get the fresh batteries installed in your PurePower 2000 ASAP. That would have saved the MX150 from ever seeing the power glitch. I replaced my PurePower 2000 batteries a year ago. You might want to read my PurePower 2000 AC Regenerator gets new batteries thread.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-25-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Craig.......Good to see you visiting AA again. Sorry to hear about your MX150 dilemma. You should get the fresh batteries installed in your PurePower 2000 ASAP. That would have saved the MX150 from ever seeing the power glitch. I replaced my PurePower 2000 batteries a year ago. You might want to read my PurePower 2000 AC Regenerator gets new batteries thread.
Definitely good advice Dan.. I am going to get it done today. I have 4 Puerpower 2000's and a few 1000's and they all need replacing. I got a couple of them done now, but still have a ways to go. And awesome instruction video BTW!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:26 PM

I have good news to report. I was able to resurrect the MX-150 from the dead!!

I reached out to the local Mc dealer and they contacted McIntosh on my behalf via email. While he didnt provide me the email, he did read it to me verbatim. Here are the steps they said to do:

1) Try to get to the MX-150 via the Web Interface and do a reset
2) Reseat the compact flash card
3) Swap the compact flash card for a known good one
4) Reseat the CPU board

I tried to get to the web interface on mine, but it was a no-go. Mine was not even showing up on the network whatsoever, so had nothing to even attempt a connection to. I re-seated the compact flash card for kicks; no shocker in that not doing anything. I happen to have a second MX-150, so I tried the compact flash swap. That too did not work. Only option I had left was to open the case and re-seat the CPU board. Believe it or not, but re-seating the board worked!

Let me know if people want me to document exactly what to do just in case this happens to someone else. The overall process is not that hard, but I am used to working on electronics (used to be an airplane electronics guy, have built computer systems for over 20 years, and worked at Microsoft for 10 years) it seriously is not that hard. I did use a couple tricks to get the top cover off (mine would have been near impossible to get off without using the method I used) and you need an H2 hex screwdriver as well as a #2 Philips.

Let this be a lesson to all PurePower users out there to change their batteries so you dont have something like this happen to you!!!!!
Old 01-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Craig.......

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-27-2018, 09:12 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Happy Day Craig!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-27-2018, 09:28 PM
Greetings from NC

Craig: Will be great to hear more details on your fix. My MX-150 (with the MX-151 firmware) is getting long in years but I hope it lasts another 20. Has always been a faithful friend and the mainstay of the hone theater. Thanks for the thread. Jim
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 01-27-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
I have good news to report. I was able to resurrect the MX-150 from the dead!!

I reached out to the local Mc dealer and they contacted McIntosh on my behalf via email. While he didnt provide me the email, he did read it to me verbatim. Here are the steps they said to do:

1) Try to get to the MX-150 via the Web Interface and do a reset
2) Reseat the compact flash card
3) Swap the compact flash card for a known good one
4) Reseat the CPU board

I tried to get to the web interface on mine, but it was a no-go. Mine was not even showing up on the network whatsoever, so had nothing to even attempt a connection to. I re-seated the compact flash card for kicks; no shocker in that not doing anything. I happen to have a second MX-150, so I tried the compact flash swap. That too did not work. Only option I had left was to open the case and re-seat the CPU board. Believe it or not, but re-seating the board worked!

Let me know if people want me to document exactly what to do just in case this happens to someone else. The overall process is not that hard, but I am used to working on electronics (used to be an airplane electronics guy, have built computer systems for over 20 years, and worked at Microsoft for 10 years) it seriously is not that hard. I did use a couple tricks to get the top cover off (mine would have been near impossible to get off without using the method I used) and you need an H2 hex screwdriver as well as a #2 Philips.

Let this be a lesson to all PurePower users out there to change their batteries so you dont have something like this happen to you!!!!!
Thanks for reporting back as this may help others with the same problem. It is strange that the CPU board had to be re-seated unless the unit was recently moved.
Way-to-go and Happy Listening!

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-29-2018, 02:50 AM

Here are the instructions to reseat the CPU daughter board:

1) Make sure you power down your MX-150 and unplug it. Move it to an area where you have plenty of light and space to work.

2) I would also recommend you wear a grounding strap to ensure you have no static electricity stored in your bnody:
https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Anti...rounding+strap

Another option is to touch a grounded metal case. While its not perfect, it should be sufficient for what we are doing.

3) There are 4 Philips head screws holding the top cover on. Two are on top near the front display while the other two are on the back of the unit. I dont have pictures of the location, but it should be obvious which ones you need to take out.

4) Once the screws from step 3 are removed, the top cover can be removed by sliding it away from the front display. Mine happened to be EXTREMELY tight and I was unable to remove it with just my hands. I ended up using car trim removal tools which are designed not to mar the surface. I put them into the vents on the top of the MX-150 and used it as leverage to slide the top case off.
https://www.amazon.com/KINGLAKE-Pane...m+removal+tool

5) Now that you have the top off, we need to locate the CPU daughter board. I have it shaded in blue in the picture. The board is in the lower right of of the MX-150 (if you have the front panel facing away from you).

https://postimg.org/image/3t8ma7gor/

6) You need to remove the 4 surface mount screws holding this board in place. They are H6 Allen head and are marked with the red arrows in the picture above.

7) Now that you have the surface mount screws removed, we need to unplug the CPU board from the main board. It is attached via two sockets **underneath** the CPU board.. I have the two areas marked in purple in the picture above, but they are located in the top left and bottom right areas of the CPU board. You need to gently pry those areas until they separate from the main motherboard. Keep in mind that there are ribbon cables also attached to the CPU board. I did not remove the ribbon cables on mine and I suggest you leave your in place as well, but you only need to detach and re-attach the CPU board; we are **NOT** taking the CPU board out of the case. Tip: Do one socket position at a time. Grab the CPU board near the purple area and gently rock the CPU board from front display to back while pulling CPU board away from motherboard. It should detach at each location without using too much force.

8) Once you have the CPU board detached from the motherboard, you need to re-attach it. The connectors have pins on one side and a female connector on the other and they must line up! One easy way to make sure they line up is to use the surface mounting hole screws at a guide. If those all line up, then the sockets should also line up. Once you are certain of the board alignment, firmly press the CPU board back into the motherboard by pushing down in the purple areas marked in the picture.

9) Slide the top cover panel back into place. Mine went on a lot easier than taking it off and I had no issues getting it to seat back on all the way.

10) Screw back in the 4 Philips head screws you removed from step 3.

Thats it! Plug your MX-150 back in and it should (hopefully) be back to life!!!

Last edited by IM3CPO; 01-29-2018 at 08:03 PM.