AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Photography

Photography Digital & Film Buffs here

Old 12-10-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
You're correct, I can't read your mind!

I don't recommend the Peak Design straps themselves as they do not have anti-slip material on them. I just use their Anchor Links. I would recommend getting an Optech strap that has 3/8" wide strap ends that you can put through the Peak Design Anchor Links.
Perfect. I just placed an order with Peak Designs to include the messenger bag and Anchor Links.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 12-17-2016, 09:53 PM

Puma Cat got me. I pulled my upstrap out and it felt like a big thick useless piece of rubber. Have the Peak Design connectors and the strap on order - it looked pretty good to me (but I have to be convinced of its stickiness when on the shoulder (as it doesn't look very sticky)). Just never have found an OpTech or Domke that did it for me (which is why I sought out the upstrap all those years ago). The Peak Design connectors are way cool and so useful.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Puma Cat got me. I pulled my upstrap out and it felt like a big thick useless piece of rubber. Have the Peak Design connectors and the strap on order - it looked pretty good to me (but I have to be convinced of its stickiness when on the shoulder (as it doesn't look very sticky)). Just never have found an OpTech or Domke that did it for me (which is why I sought out the upstrap all those years ago). The Peak Design connectors are way cool and so useful.
Took delivery of a Peak Designs Slide Lite. I really like it. I will using in Japan on vacation for two weeks.
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 12-19-2016, 01:08 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

I've tried to like the Peak Design straps - but they just don't work for me. Got a couple in a box if anyone's interested. I've also tried the Peak Design bags and they are not compatible with me or my cameras. (I despise them)

I've also tried the Up Straps and dislike them for the same reasons Stephen stated.

For Fuji cameras (and other smaller mirrorless) I really like the Footprint straps, custom made in England. - Too thin for big Nikons etc. but for the Fujis, they almost match the elegance of the cameras. I really like these straps.

Here's an example of a Footprint strap with a shoulder pad. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Came...IAAOSwJ7RYSDCW

The man who makes these straps had a very serious medical problem and his production has suffered, but they are worth any wait.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
I've tried to like the Peak Design straps - but they just don't work for me. Got a couple in a box if anyone's interested. I've also tried the Peak Design bags and they are not compatible with me or my cameras. (I despise them)

I've also tried the Up Straps and dislike them for the same reasons Stephen stated.

For Fuji cameras (and other smaller mirrorless) I really like the Footprint straps, custom made in England. - Too thin for big Nikons etc. but for the Fujis, they almost match the elegance of the cameras. I really like these straps.

Here's an example of a Footprint strap with a shoulder pad. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Came...IAAOSwJ7RYSDCW

The man who makes these straps had a very serious medical problem and his production has suffered, but they are worth any wait.
I am with ya, Julian, I don't like the Peak Design straps, either. They are way too slippery for me and I don't like sling style straps, either. I do like their anchor links and little red/black circular tabs that you connect to the camera, but I use a canvas LowePro Street & Field strap on my X-T2 and my Fuji X-T2 strap on my X-T1.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:49 PM

Early report on the Peak Design strap is that, overall, I like it. It is way too slippery for a shoulder strap of any reliability, but I'm finding I like the sling. I never really liked moving with the strap around my neck (walking, when I wasn't shooting), and no matter the strap, I pay attention when it's on my shoulder. So, the sling works pretty well - well enough not to send it back and then we'll decide.

I got the size for the SLR, rather than the mirrorless (same strap/smaller size), because there's still a bit of weight (particularly with the FABULOUS 16 mm 1.8 prime). So far, so good.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Early report on the Peak Design strap is that, overall, I like it. It is way too slippery for a shoulder strap of any reliability, but I'm finding I like the sling. I never really liked moving with the strap around my neck (walking, when I wasn't shooting), and no matter the strap, I pay attention when it's on my shoulder. So, the sling works pretty well - well enough not to send it back and then we'll decide.

I got the size for the SLR, rather than the mirrorless (same strap/smaller size), because there's still a bit of weight (particularly with the FABULOUS 16 mm 1.8 prime). So far, so good.
Glad you like the sling approach. I never really got on with it because I was always worried about banging the camera into K-walls, light poles, fences, grandstand towers, etc. when I zipping around the racetrack at motorsports events. I often have to weave in between the spectators when heading out to a corner. I agree the strap is way too slippery for shoulder use.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:01 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

As I said previously, I didn't much like the Peak Design strap, and never particularly liked sling straps in general, but I have used (and was actually quite fond of) a BlackRapid Cross Shot Breathe Camera Strap. The Black Rapid straps have a extremely grippy shoulder pad, and are comfortable to wear across the body and easy to manipulate a camera. Black Rapid does offer straps with "extreme sport" retainers to minimize camera swing if that is a challenge.
As for the Peak Design strap, it is the same width for its full length, all the way down to the camera. I personally think it is too wide and prefer straps that are wide over the shoulder (or have a long shoulder pad) and taper down for the last few inches before attaching to the camera. I don't like the feel of wide straps in my hand when I'm shooting.
I guess my main objection to any sling strap is that they are just "too much strap" to fit in my "gadget" bag. I might use this type of strap on a big Nikon or Canon; but probably not on a small mirrorless camera.

I do like the Gordy's straps for small cameras and the Domke straps for larger. (but still like the Footprint straps best for my Fuji's.) I currently also use both Gordy's and Domke straps.

The man of many words, Ken Rockwell, likes and apparently uses Leica straps, and they are quite nice, but they will severely scratch the finish on Fuji cameras. The plastic collar rubs the area above the strap lugs and will do significant damage. Mr. Rockwell says that he uses electrical tape to cover the area - but that would look pretty crappy on a silver body. I do speak from personal experience here.

Most of the time, I carry my camera in my right hand and wrap it's smaller strap around my wrist and forearm. Very secure, almost theft proof, extremely user friendly and easy to use, and the small strap does wad up and lie comfortably in my camera bag.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .