AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 12-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
I did try using the Oppo at 1080p and let it convert native rates...but the Runco did a much better job with managing artifacts and it felt like the Runco processor's 1080p output...when using a 480p or 720p resolution...was much better.
For 1080p or 1080i sources, did you notice much difference between the Oppo and external video processor? I don't imaging you'll see much because 1080p source doesn't need any processing and 1080i source needs only de-interlacing.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:46 PM

I didn't play any native 1080i sources through Oppo so I don't have good answer. The Oppo is a great product...I just preferred using the new Runco processor and like the ability to send native rates into it. The new Comcast box also allows this and results in a much better picture...since some broadcasts are in 720p (ESPN). And some in 1080i. (CBS)
Old 12-10-2011, 09:22 PM

Question

Quote:
Sorry...I have been playing in the analog world the last few weeks. With respect to the VX-11d...its awesome and is quite a step up for the VX-1000d i had previously. I have my main sources...(cable box and Oppo 93 set up to send native resolution to the 11d. Other sources are AppleTV (720p), Vudu (1080p) and Roku (720p/1080p). The 11d works well with all signals and is relatively fast in switching between resolutions. The contrast and brightness of the projector is awesome...very black blacks and a good picture even with some light in the room. I have not noticed many artifacts...and while the 1000d was difficult to watch on some sports programs...the 11d is superb. I am also very thrilled with the Vistage 63 plasma...which gets used for most TV material. beautiful both on and off. I use the identical external controller for the plasma...which also switchs between resolutions flawlessly.

I did try using the Oppo at 1080p and let it convert native rates...but the Runco did a much better job with managing artifacts and it felt like the Runco processor's 1080p output...when using a 480p or 720p resolution...was much better.
Would you mind commenting more on the picture with the VX-11d?
What size Screen are you using with it?

The reason I am asking for more information is this.
Monday afternoon my Runco Dealer is dropping by to provide me with a quote on the VX-11d.

I now have the VX5000ci W/DHD controller.
Which is a 720p or 1080i image.
Screen is 123" W/4-way remote masking.
I have a dediacted room for the HT and with the sconce lights out it is DARK like a cave.

I'm very much looking forward to the New Runco VX-11d.
If all works out for that to take place.

Any further info. you could provide me with regarding the VX-11d I would appreciate.

I have Dish Network for my satellite provider and wonder how this new unit picture is going to look versus the one I have now.
I'm thinking it should be a dramatic difference in Contrast & Brightness.
And the Blacks should be a major difference as well.

Terry
Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 AM

I use a 108" Stewart which is 16:9. I jumped from a 720p native single chip to the 11d which is a3chip 1080p native. The processor switched from vivix2 to the new vivix4. Bluray is the only native 1080p source...and vudu HDX puts out 1080p but I don't believe it's true 1080p. All signals are converted to 1080p by he processor. It was a big upgrade from the 720p 1000d. More vivid, better contrast on dark scenes, and the resolution is incredible. Brighter as well. Technology keeps changing...I would upgrade. Runco should give you some credit to trade in your 5000
Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
I use a 108" Stewart which is 16:9. I jumped from a 720p native single chip to the 11d which is a3chip 1080p native. The processor switched from vivix2 to the new vivix4. Bluray is the only native 1080p source...and vudu HDX puts out 1080p but I don't believe it's true 1080p. All signals are converted to 1080p by he processor. It was a big upgrade from the 720p 1000d. More vivid, better contrast on dark scenes, and the resolution is incredible. Brighter as well. Technology keeps changing...I would upgrade. Runco should give you some credit to trade in your 5000
Thanks for the reply.

You just told me what I thought would be the difference.

On Dish you can buy movies that they say are broadcast in 1080p.
So that I am looking forward to seeing what they will look like.

You Demand. We Deliver!

HD Movies On Demand, TV & Video On Demand - DISH Network

DISH Network is the first to offer 1080p VOD. Watch your movies with stunning clarity, unsurpassed detail, and resolution
equal to Blu-ray Disc! Select from thousands of movie titles and TV shows.
Watch it as often as you like within a 24-hour period.
Available for the 512 (SD/DVR), 522, 612, 622, 625, 722 and 922 DVR receiver models.

Yes, I am getting a trade-in on the VX5000ci if all goes well.
There would have to be something really weird to take place once he arrives for this not to take place.
But I have been around for a long time so not taking anything as fact until it it is a signed work order.

I'm really looking forward to this up-grade.
I have had mine now for 9-yrs. so it is time for a change.
Also going to add a Sony Blu-Ray player.

Thanks again,
Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 AM

I would strongly consider the Oppo blu-ray. Either the 93 if you only use HDMI for audio( digital out) or 95 if you want to use the players analog out.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:53 PM

OP,

I just did a recent thread/post I think you might find of interest.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/home-...rporation.html

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 03-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Thumbs down

Guys,

My DHD Controller has an issue and is down.
Called my guy and found out Runco per the Regional Rep is {Dead}.
Mine unit is still under Warranty so my guy is trying to see if Runco is still backing up the customers that are under Warranty.

To be Brutally-Blunt men ...........

This IMHO totally "SUCKS" !!!

There goes $30,000.00 USA Dollars down the drain.

Just found this out yesterday about Runco researching On-Line.

http://www.cepro.com/article/goodbye_runco#

Quote:
Julie Jacobson · February 26, 2016
It looks like Runco is finally dead. The pioneering home theater projector manufacturer, founded by Sam Runco in 1987, appears to be getting out of the projector business. And as that business goes, so goes the famous brand.

Runco was acquired by Planar, a commercial display manufacturer, in 2007. As Runco was built on personality as much as product, Planar promised to continue with the famous Runco conferences and parties previously hosted by Runco and his wife Lori.

But the Runco vibe was never the same, and Runco slowly lost its cachet. Now it's losing its flagship projectors.

Just six months after Chinese LED manufacturer Leyard acquired Planar, the company has announced a phase-out of Runco projectors.
Quote:
Here's the memo that just went out to Runco dealers and reps:
Quote:
The Runco Price List has been updated and you will notice that all Runco projectors are now listed as “limited availability.” Our pioneering efforts once focused on projection are now directed to new breakthroughs in video wall technology and flat panel displays, categories in which many of you have been very successful.
We expect availability on most models for the coming months, but all orders and product configurations are subject to availability. As always, we encourage our dealers to place orders immediately to ensure delivery for upcoming projects.

We will continue to honor our warranty commitments on previous and future sales, stock and sell service parts, and offer out-of-warranty support, as we do today. We look forward to seeing our customers and their clients through the transition of the market to new display technologies. For more information about the Runco line-up or for product details, see www.runco.com.
RIP, Runco.

Terry