AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Save Ferris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Your fortunate, I wonder how others on the Island reacted?
No kidding, I wouldn't be one to normally overreact to something like this, with the frequency that North Korea has been in the news the last year, I admit I would've probably been freaking out a bit. Wonder who's gonna be fired over this? The button guy??

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Eidolon Vision, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics B2 Amplification: McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh MC 402 amplifier Digital: Ayre C-5xeMP SACD/DVD audio player. Analog: VPI Classic Signature, Dynavector XX2 mkII cartridge. Phono Preamp: Audio Research Ref 2 SE
Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Ballistic missile threat alert in Hawaii was a mistake

Here’s a guy who knew what to do: open a $500 bottle of whiskey and kiss your ass goodbye.

From the Guardian:

“For some, the prospect of the end of the world was an opportunity to indulge. Joshua Keoki Versola was home alone in Mililani when he received the alert. As he waited for his fiancee to drive home from her place of work, the 35-year-old network engineer opened a bottle of Hibiki 21, an award-winning and expensive Japanese whisky.

“I was about to start pouring drinks and go out in style,” Versola said “What are we going to do in this situation? We really can’t do anything but just try and make the best of it.””
Main system: Linn Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Linn Uphorik; Rega RP10 w/Rega Aphelion; Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Shunyata Denali 6000T, Alpha NR & various Ztron powersnakes; Shunyata Ztron Cobra IC & SC; Quadraspire Sunoko-Vent T, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Mini, HRS Damping Plates; Synology DS412+; VPI HW-27
Personal audio: Woo Audio WA6 & WA7, Auralic Aries Mini, A&K AK100 II, AKG Q701, Shure SE535, Shure SH1540, Westone ES50 Custom, Sennheiser HD800, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow C, Various Moon Audio dragons
2nd system: Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, REL T-5, refurbished AR XA w/Nagaoka MP-200 & VPI cabling, Linn Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata Venom PS8 w/Defender & Viper, Nordost Blue Heaven power & IC, Acoustic Zen sc, Symposium Svelte Shelves
Workshop: Cambridge Audio Azur 340R, Martin Logan Motion 4, Squeezebox Touch, Schiit BiFrost, AZ & WW cables
Video: 65” Sony XBR65X850C; Vienna Acoustics Schönberg L/R, Webern center & surrounds; REL T1/T2/T3 subs; Arcam AVR850; Cambridge Audio 752BD; MIT-EXP SC
Old 01-13-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Here’s a guy who knew what to do: open a $500 bottle of whiskey and kiss your ass goodbye.

From the Guardian:

“For some, the prospect of the end of the world was an opportunity to indulge. Joshua Keoki Versola was home alone in Mililani when he received the alert. As he waited for his fiancee to drive home from her place of work, the 35-year-old network engineer opened a bottle of Hibiki 21, an award-winning and expensive Japanese whisky.

“I was about to start pouring drinks and go out in style,” Versola said “What are we going to do in this situation? We really can’t do anything but just try and make the best of it.””
A very ignorant person for sure..........I would gather family, seek shelter and PRAY!

Ron
A/V Processor: McIntosh MX-150. Amps: McIntosh MC207. Preamp/Phono: Van Alstine Fet Valve CF. Digital Sources: PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Squeezebox Touch w/MCRU Power Supply + EDO, Oppo BDP-95. Analog Sources: Pro-Ject RM5 SE, Denon DL103R Speakers: Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M, Sonus faber Cremona Center M, Sonus Faber Wall Domus, JL Audio e112 Sub. Wires: Belkin Gold USB, DIY Speaker Cable Furez FZ102AS 10-2, Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Audio Cables, Monoprice HDMI and Power Cords. Power: PS Audio Quintet, PS Audio Duet.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 PM
It's not just the music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post

From the Guardian:

With a direct hit on a small island, best thing to do IMHO. Scary world we live in.

Main System:

Amplification: Luxman L-590AX Mark II. PrimaLuna Dialogue HP EL34

Speakers: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary

Headphones:

ZMF Auteur Blackwood, Audeze LCD-3, Audeze LCD-2C, Sennheiser HD600, HD650, Fostex TH-X00EB, E-MU Teak

Headphone Amplification: Violectric V281, SPL Phonitor 2730, Audeze Deckard, PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Luxman L-590AX Mark II, Woo Audio WA6

Source/DAC. Roon/Tidal.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Your fortunate, I wonder how others on the Island reacted?
Since the Attack Warning Sirens never went off, I wasn't worried.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:04 AM

According to the Washington Post

Quote:
Around 8:05 a.m., the Hawaii emergency employee initiated the internal test, according to a timeline released by the state. From a drop-down menu on a computer program, he saw two options: “Test missile alert” and “Missile alert.” He was supposed to choose the former; as much of the world now knows, he chose the latter, an initiation of a real-life missile alert. […]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.afaf4a4a2371

They could have designed the system a bit better to avoid this type of easy mistake.
Avid Sequel SP - SME V - Ortofon Cadenza Blue
PC Electra 7 - Speaker WW Silver Eclipse 7 - XLR WW Silver Eclispe 7 - Stillpoints - Digital WW Platinum Eclipse USB
Room treatment by GIK
Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
According to the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.afaf4a4a2371

They could have designed the system a bit better to avoid this type of easy mistake.
Looks to me like they need to replace the Drop Down Menu on a computer with a big red button and a clear flip up cover like we have all seen in the movies as kids.

Glad it was a false alarm.
Audio Room: Ayre AX-5 Twenty, Ayre P-5xe, Esoteric K-01X, Aurender N10, VPI Classic, Totem Acoustic Element Metal, Audeze LCD-XC, PS Audio P10, Audience AU24- SX speaker cables, Tellurium Q Black Diamond & Wireworld Platinum interconnects and power cords, Stillpoints, HRS damping plates and all that other silly stuff

Living Room: (aka Maria's system): Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated, Audio Physic Tempo Special Ed., Cambridge Audio 840C, Bluesound Node 2, Accusound and Nordost interconnects and cables

Office: Accuphase E-600, Diapason Neos, Bluesound Node 2, Chord 2Qute DAC, Tellurium Q Black Diamond speaker cables and Nordost Frey 2interconnects
Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Alarms and warnings are ONLY good if proper systems are developed preventing false alarms so we don't develop the "Crying Wolf Syndrone."

Hopefully no one was injured during this incident. At least this makes us think what to do and where to go.

Ron
A/V Processor: McIntosh MX-150. Amps: McIntosh MC207. Preamp/Phono: Van Alstine Fet Valve CF. Digital Sources: PS Audio DirectStream DAC, Squeezebox Touch w/MCRU Power Supply + EDO, Oppo BDP-95. Analog Sources: Pro-Ject RM5 SE, Denon DL103R Speakers: Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M, Sonus faber Cremona Center M, Sonus Faber Wall Domus, JL Audio e112 Sub. Wires: Belkin Gold USB, DIY Speaker Cable Furez FZ102AS 10-2, Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Audio Cables, Monoprice HDMI and Power Cords. Power: PS Audio Quintet, PS Audio Duet.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
With a direct hit on a small island, best thing to do IMHO. Scary world we live in.
Agreed. A nice hit of fine whiskey and hopefully a final shag with his fiancé.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
A very ignorant person for sure..........I would gather family, seek shelter and PRAY!

Ron
Did we read the same post? I believe that he was waiting for his fiancee to arrive. There was NO family there. In case you were not aware, each person reacts differently to an emergency. I should know as I got to see their panicked faces for 29 years after dialing 911. Why are you being so critical because he did not do what YOU would have done? There were reports of people cowering behind their couches.
Speaker Wilson Audio Maxx3,
Cables Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's. Transparent power cords
Power conditioning Transparent PowerIsolator
Isolation HRS
Room treatments Vicoustics