AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
I've been reading a lot of finance book/novels. The recent read were:
Liar's poker -> story of a young college kid entering the world of finance and fixed income during the junk bond heyday and arbitrage.
Lords of finance -> extremely fascinating novel about the head of the central bank of the US, Germany and UK before, during and after WWI including the lead to 29 and the aftermath. I really enjoyed this one and give you insight into how each country is reacting today
Too big too fail -> very well documented of the back story behind the TARP and the timing during the crisis and how people reacted. I didn't enjoy it as much as Street Fighters
Street fighters -> the story of Bear Sterns and what led to their fall. I really loved this one. It is fast paced, you really get the sense of urgency and people fighting against something bigger than them.
When genius failed -> the rise and fall of LTCM filled with hubris and oversized ego. It shows that Wall Street is a humbling place and the star of the day can fall as fast as he rose.

I'm currently reading The Snowball, the biography of Warren Buffett. It's a big book which takes you from his birth and childhood, to his first work experience to today. It's very well documented with a lot of references. I'm really enjoying it even though it's making me change my opinion on Buffett.
Interesting list. I'm going to pick up "When Genius Failed." If you have not read "The Big Short," I'm guessing that's a book you'd enjoy based on your list above.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio badger View Post
Interesting list. I'm going to pick up "When Genius Failed." If you have not read "The Big Short," I'm guessing that's a book you'd enjoy based on your list above.
Good pick. I've enjoyed it a lot. Let me know what you think of it.

The Big Short is on my to read list. The other books of the same kind in my wish list are The House of Morgan, All the Devils are Here, More Money than God and the End of Wall Street ... I'm starting to see a pattern
Avid Sequel SP - SME V - Ortofon Cadenza Blue
PC Electra 7 - Speaker WW Silver Eclipse 7 - XLR WW Silver Eclispe 7 - Stillpoints - Digital WW Platinum Eclipse USB
Room treatment by GIK
Old 03-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Just got done reading "Killing Jesus" (excellent read) and now I'm reading "The Monuments Men".
Amplifier: Dennis Had Inspire Fire Bottle PSE or David Belles Aria integrated amplifier
Cables: Nordost and Audioquest
Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 AM

Beria - by Sergio Beria, his son.
Esoteric, Simaudio Moon, Oppo, Bryston, Olive, RSA, Shunyata, Stax, EAR, Classe, Ayre, Lehmann, Elekit, Sumo, Cavalli, Sennheiser, Audeze, Beyer, Ultrasone, Wireworld, Nordost, Crystal, Siltech, Kimber, etc.

Home:
Esoteric, Krell, Pass Labs, Magnepan, Mark Levinson, Aesthetix, Kiseki, Koetsu, Air Tight, Linn, Martin Logan, Avalon, Stax, Basis, VPI, Shunyata, Crystal, Nordost, Stealth, Magnum Dynalab, Nakamichi, EAR, YBA, Counterpoint, GAS, Audio Research, etc
Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. With all of the excellent photographers on this site I need all the help I can get!

MX119, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500, MS750
Pioneer BDP-95FD
ML Ascents, Theater, Fresco, Descent
Old 03-18-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylode View Post
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. With all of the excellent photographers on this site I need all the help I can get!

This is the best book to start photography. It's a must read for anyone.

Beyond portraiture and understanding shutter speed are great ones to follow too.
Avid Sequel SP - SME V - Ortofon Cadenza Blue
PC Electra 7 - Speaker WW Silver Eclipse 7 - XLR WW Silver Eclispe 7 - Stillpoints - Digital WW Platinum Eclipse USB
Room treatment by GIK
Old 03-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post

This is the best book to start photography. It's a must read for anyone.

Beyond portraiture and understanding shutter speed are great ones to follow too.
Thanks for the endorsement on the book, and I'll check out your recommendations too!

MX119, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500, MS750
Pioneer BDP-95FD
ML Ascents, Theater, Fresco, Descent
Old 03-19-2014, 12:40 AM

Doing some dedicated light reading, I'm on a mission to read all of Robert B Parker's "Spenser" mysteries in chronological order. I'm up to #27. Not serious reading by any stretch, but I love Parker's terse style and characters and the way he describes the Boston locale. It's interesting reading them in a fairly compressed time frame (about 6 months) and seeing how the characters and social mores evolve.
Main system: Linn Klimax Katalyst DSM; D’Agostino Momentum S250; Linn Uphorik; Rega RP10 w/Rega Aphelion; Sonus Faber Amati Futura; Shunyata Denali 6000T, Alpha NR & various Ztron powersnakes; Shunyata Ztron Cobra IC & SC; Quadraspire Sunoko-Vent T, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Mini, HRS Damping Plates; Synology DS412+; VPI HW-27
Personal audio: Woo Audio WA6 & WA7, Auralic Aries Mini, A&K AK100 II, AKG Q701, Shure SE535, Shure SH1540, Westone ES50 Custom, Sennheiser HD800, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow C, Various Moon Audio dragons
2nd system: Luxman SQ-N100, PSB Imagine Mini, REL T-5, refurbished AR XA w/Nagaoka MP-200 & VPI cabling, Linn Klimax DSM Renew, Shunyata Venom PS8 w/Defender & Viper, Nordost Blue Heaven power & IC, Acoustic Zen sc, Symposium Svelte Shelves
Workshop: Cambridge Audio Azur 340R, Martin Logan Motion 4, Squeezebox Touch, Schiit BiFrost, AZ & WW cables
Video: 65” Sony XBR65X850C; Vienna Acoustics Schönberg L/R, Webern center & surrounds; REL T1/T2/T3 subs; Arcam AVR850; Cambridge Audio 752BD; MIT-EXP SC
Old 03-19-2014, 04:05 PM

Read it when it came out but enjoying a lazy view of the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McIntosh-book.jpg (19.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 AM

Currently reading Thomas Pynchon's Bleeding Edge, and also just started Juliet Macur's Cycle of Lies, documenting Lance Armstrong's fall from grace.

+1 re Kindle, excellent little device, somewhat to my surprise as an old fashioned book lover!
Technics SL1210 + Jelco 750D + Furutech AG-12, PAB AVF's, Funk Firm Acromat, Zu modified Denon 103/ Whest PS.30RDT / Marantz DAC / Mac Mini/ Pure music, Croft Micro 25R / Manley Snappers; Harbeth P3ESR's