AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 03-09-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Can you explain?

Hello everyone,

I need your help to explain the theory behind cables in particular Shunyata Alpha speaker cable.

I do have a super revealing and super expensive system. I am looking for a speaker cable to drive my speakers.

I do believe in speakers cables and how they make difference, this is based on personal experience. I did compare Nordost and Shunyata in my system.

My understanding that cables are supposed NOT to add or remove anything from the signal casing to the frequency. I also know that cables can ONLY remove (attenuate) parts of the frequency which will lead to an emphasis on some parts of the frequency. For example, some (I said some) copper cables attenuate high frequencies which make them bolder and warmer cables. On the other hand, "pure Silver" cables are supposed to be a superior conductor and supposed to send the whole frequency with no alteration. My questions is, is this applicable on Shunyata cables?

Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to try pure silver cables. Nordost is copper and around 1% silver. This combination cause the high frequencies to travel faster on the outer part of the conductor and cause the forwarded sound signature.

When I compared Nordost and Shunyata, I noticed that Nordost is more forward (which I don't like) and not as relaxing as the Shunyata. Does that mean Shunyata is attenuating highs? What about the Nordost, is it attenuating the low frequency to emphasize on the highs and provide the WOW factor for the first 20 minutes of listening?

I don't need a cable that attenuates something to emphasize on something else. I just need a transparent cable, not forward not laid back. My system is super expensive and the last thing I need is a cable that alter my system's voice.
What about the Shunyata Alpha? is it a transparent cable?

Last edited by Sonic Guild; 03-09-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:55 AM
Ultra-Fast 69

Why not just stick with the brand you use and carry forward the loom?
Old 03-10-2020, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Guild View Post
Hello everyone,
What about the Shunyata Alpha? is it a transparent cable?
Transparent is a relative term. While I have never tried the Alpha speaker cables, I do have Alpha interconnects. They are by far the most transparent interconnects I’ve owned. Previously brands I owned included MIT and Nordost.

I really don’t think you can go wrong with Shunyata’s cables. They also represent a tremendous value. Nordost cables are overpriced in my experience.

My first experience with Shunyata was to replace all my Nordost Brahma power cords and Nordost Quantum power conditioner with just Shunyata Alpha HC power cords. After selling all the Nordost stuff I actually came out ahead while at the same time getting a significant upgrade.

One more thing about Nordost is their signal cables are designed to be used with their power cords. The low frequency attenuation you heard would lessen with the appropriate power cords in place.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Last edited by kennyb123; 03-10-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:00 PM

I have Alpha speaker cables and find them quite transparent. I don’t feel like anything is being attenuated. But of course it depends on your system: what amplification and speakers are you using?
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-10-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Guild View Post

My understanding that cables are supposed NOT to add or remove anything from the signal casing to the frequency. I also know that cables can ONLY remove (attenuate) parts of the frequency which will lead to an emphasis on some parts of the frequency. For example, some (I said some) copper cables attenuate high frequencies which make them bolder and warmer cables. On the other hand, "pure Silver" cables are supposed to be a superior conductor and supposed to send the whole frequency with no alteration. My questions is, is this applicable on Shunyata cables?

e?
I am in the minority but I disagree that cables shouldn't add or remove anything from the signal. I look at cables just like any other component in my set-up. I A/B (sometimes C) everything before inserting it in nays system. If a component gets the SQ closer to what I want to hear then I don't care if it is adding or removing something.

Audiophiles are always making choices. Tube vs SS, Tubes Brand A vs B, cartridges, Class A, B, AB, Class D etc, planer vs box, vs horn........ If a cable brand A vs B gets me closer to what I want to hear then assuming the price isn't crazy (hard to define) it might get a place in my system.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
I am in the minority but I disagree that cables shouldn't add or remove anything from the signal. I look at cables just like any other component in my set-up. I A/B (sometimes C) everything before inserting it in nays system. If a component gets the SQ closer to what I want to hear then I don't care if it is adding or removing something.

Audiophiles are always making choices. Tube vs SS, Tubes Brand A vs B, cartridges, Class A, B, AB, Class D etc, planer vs box, vs horn........ If a cable brand A vs B gets me closer to what I want to hear then assuming the price isn't crazy (hard to define) it might get a place in my system.

Good post.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-10-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Well put.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 03-10-2020, 07:18 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
I actually think you are in the majority while my view puts me in the minority. I don’t have a particular “what I want to hear” in mind other than to say that I just want my equipment to get the heck out of the way of the music. I have many audiophile friends select cables that help to flavor the music to their liking. I don’t want cables to do that for me - I want them to vanish as best as they can. The Alpha interconnect did that better than any other cable that I’ve tried. Same for the Sigma USB.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 03-12-2020, 08:22 AM

In the lower series of Nordost I've the same feeling as you. Sacrificing body for upper flair.

But ask yourself which cable lets you connect with the singer and the music. Which cable gets you closer to the actual performance.

Sonic guild, I would also recommend auditioning the corresponding shunyata preamp->amp interconnects at the same time you are listening to their speaker cable.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
Why not just stick with the brand you use and carry forward the loom?
I am just concerned that if I keep using the same brand, I will keep encountering the same bright signature.