AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 08-03-2019, 02:18 PM
Semi-audiophile

UPDATE: I heard from Transparent, and I could get that 1.5m Premium for only $9 more than the Venom NR-V12, due to Transparent's upgrade program. The V12 is 1.75m, a roughly 9-inch difference, and is probably more flexible. That could be important given that my preamp sits only 15" above my power conditioner; I don't know for sure. The extra length isn't desirable either, so a trade-off may occur.

Would still prefer to clear the financial damage from my new A/C first, but I may get impatient.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-14-2019, 06:03 AM
Semi-audiophile

I am in the process of ordering a new Transparent Premium through their Upgrade program. It's a custom 1.5m length, as mentioned earlier. It will go on my preamp. We will see what happens.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I am in the process of ordering a new Transparent Premium through their Upgrade program. It's a custom 1.5m length, as mentioned earlier. It will go on my preamp. We will see what happens.
It's official: the Premium has been ordered. I could have gotten it sooner by ordering the standard 2m length, but that would be too much slack. It should be available for pickup in a week to a week and a half.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:32 AM
Semi-audiophile

The Premium is in, and I plan to pick it up today. Due to a price snafu, the cost is $70 more than I was quoted originally, and I'm getting the 2m length rather than the 1.5m (same price) for additional flexibility, but we'll see what happens once I put it into the system.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:41 PM

I make my oun power cables and use a Poor copper sleeve that I put on the outside of him and then a braided cloth sleeve to cover it back that way I don’t get any interference from the power going to the cable I just don’t see and can’t hear or measure any difference by using these overpriced cryogenically treated type of cables just to a certain point there’s no benefit for buying cables it cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars the goal of a good quality power cables to have it shielded so there no RF interference or any other type of interference from the power going through the cable. And yes I know the math for making a good or even great power cable
You need to use a cable that can handle the Amperage of whatever the audio devices being powered like a regular solid state preamp is not going to pause many amps is a large wattage powering up so of course she would need to use a higher gaged wire in the cables with the main goal in my belief is that you need to have them she wanted and use the best ends that you can use on your cables. And sometimes you don’t need the 3rd wire in the cable as some preamps and amps and other audio gear don’t even use the earth ground wire
Old 10-26-2019, 04:49 AM
Semi-audiophile

And here it is.

At the first good opportunity I'll connect it and see how it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0498.jpg (88.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 10-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Default Power Cord Possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
And here it is.

At the first good opportunity I'll connect it and see how it does.

Congrats! I’ve been debating between Shunyata Venom NR’s and Transparent Premium. The YouTube videos on the Venom’s are impressive. I’m very curious to hear your thoughts. I recently moved from WW Silver Eclipses to Transparent Super Gen 5 speaker cables and they made a remarkable improvement in my system. Super Balanced interconnects and power cables are next on my list.
McIntosh MA12000, Wilson SabrinaX, Bluesound Node 2i, Transparent Ultra Gen5 Speaker Cables, Transparent Gen5 Powerwave, Transparent High Performance Gen5 Power Cables, Transparent Premium Gen5 75 Ohm Digital Cable, Tidal Connect

Last edited by knecht; 10-26-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Semi-audiophile

I have roughly two hours on the C2300/Premium cord combo. I'm listening first to the tracks I played two weekends ago when I fired the system up after over three months. I'm working other tracks in bit by bit as time permits. It's mostly video tracks (DVD/BD) so far.

The first impression I have is that the sound so far is smoother overall. I played "Them Changes" from Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood Live at Madison Square Garden, "Woke up Dreaming" from Joe Bonamassa Live at Carnegie Hall an Acoustic Evening, and "Man of Steel" from Hans Zimmer Live in Prague. Last night Antonio Carlos Jobim's Wave CD was added to the mix, along with "Fanfare for the Common Man" from the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (the very first CD I ever bought, way back in 1986!).

In addition to the smoother sound, I noted the kickdrum on "Them Changes" had a bit more kick, with Steve Winwood's rhythm guitar a bit more obvious underneath Clapton's solo. Bonamassa's acoustic guitar sounded a tad more acoustic, and the percussion on "Man of Steel" had more transient leading edges, as if the sticks struck the heads rather than simply running into them. None of this was earth-shaking, but I noticed it, as well as the occasional bit of detail I don't remember hearing before.

I'm not keeping tabs on the actual time logged with the new PC, but will be paying attention as the hours and tunes pile up.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Semi-audiophile

Ok, last night I spent time with another of my reference DVDs, Moody Blues: Hall of Fame. It's a live 2000 performance at the Royal Albert Hall with an orchestra behind the MBs. What struck me was that I heard more low-level details and subtleties than before, sounds I'd never heard before, yet didn't hear one or two familiar sounds. The extra details made things sound more like a live performance. I heard more music overall, but the absence of those one or two notes (from a xylophone, it sounds like) on "Tuesday Afternoon" were noticed, as was the increase in low-level detail of the orchestra's playing. And the tympani at the close of the orchestra's opening medley had more of a musical note in it. It's good.

I do wonder if the Venom NR cords would make more of a difference, but for now the Premium is still being tested and will remain on my 2300, most likely.

Last edited by prepress; 12-05-2019 at 05:13 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-12-2020, 06:32 AM
Semi-audiophile

It's crazy but I keep coming back to this issue. I just laid out over $4300 on a new turntable, yet I'm back again to contemplating power cord changes on my sources (when funds permit, of course). It won't go away. And again, the two choices are Transparent Premium and Shunyata Venom NR-12 or 10 because those are the brands in my setup now.

I've had pleasing results with the Premium on my preamp. I've noted increased detail on numerous occasions, and I'm a big fan of detail. Some instruments decay better. Transients are a bit crisper. These improvements are noticeable, if not earth-shaking, and I'll take them. Now, would this go even further with an upgrade over the Transparent High Performance cords I have on my sources, which are quite good themselves? Or are the Premiums on the preamp and power amps enough? Is there an advantage in using a Venom NR-10 over a NR-12 on a CD player? ARGH!

This whole thing is driven by curiosity more than anything else. Maybe I should try to just turn off the brain and enjoy what I have.