AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Semi-audiophile

Default Speaker Possibilities

This is a somewhat different idea than my preamp thread.

I have had my Mirage M-3si speakers since February 1993, and they have been great for the whole time; they are the oldest part of my system other than the turntable. And as the upstream equipment has changed the sound has improved. But now I find myself at a point I didn't think I'd ever be.

In theory I will be retiring in 7–8 years, Lord willing, at which time I will be on a fixed and reduced income; the Mirages would be about 28.5 years old if I still have them then. With that, it may be difficult or even impossible to replace them adequately for financial reasons, should they fail during retirement. The idea came to me to consider a preemptive strike of sorts and replace them now, or at least before retiring, to give my wallet a chance to recover. I would then have a new(er) speaker which should take me well into my later years. The logic made sense at one point, but during a brief session yesterday listening to a local college station playing old R&B from the 50's, I considered how good the sound was, and now question the "early replacement" theory I started with.

I'd be giving up a working, well-liked known for an unknown. I really like the M-3sis. And as time moves on, money is a bigger and bigger factor regarding a potential replacement. The replacement speaker itself is a secondary question right now.

So I wonder what anyone else's perspective might be, especially if they've done anything like it before, what their rationale may have been. I am a bit torn. Do I keep the M-3sis and take my chances, or move to replace what isn't broken? There's an element of fear here, I understand, and it isn't necessarily logical to be afraid of what hasn't happened or might happen.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 09-15-2013, 04:43 PM

My opinion is that if you are completely happy with the M3's and they are giving you what you want then why change them. I was an M1 owner for many years and now have Revel which I think is a similar sound signature. My brother has my M1's and they still function flawlessly. As a matter of fact when I go to his place for a beverage and a listen I get to thinking how much I miss the way they fill the room with great sound and would not be embarrassed to have them back.

What may also help you make up you mind is to go take a listen to some speakers that interest you and are in your price range and see if you are happier. If not then save the funds.

One last solution is that you take the funds that you would spend on the speakers and place this money aside for a future upgrade. Not touching these funds will be the hard part.

Last edited by Alki; 09-15-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
My opinion is that if you are completely happy with the M3's and they are giving you what you want then why change them. I was an M1 owner for many years and now have Revel which I think is a similar sound signature. My brother has my M1's and they still function flawlessly. As a matter of fact when I go to his place for a beverage and a listen I get to thinking how much I miss the way they fill the room with great sound and would not be embarrassed to have them back.

What may also help you make up you mind is to go take a listen to some speakers that interest you and are in your price range and see if you are happier. If not then save the funds.

One last solution is that you take the funds that you would spend on the speakers and place this money aside for a future upgrade. Not touching these funds will be the hard part.
I do have a small list of potential replacements, but auditions may be difficult. The dealer up in Scarsdale, NY I bought my TV and BD player from is a Def Tech dealer, so perhaps I could check whether he has the BP-7000sc or Mythos ST out so I can listen. There's a Legacy (Focus SE) dealer in New Haven, CT but that's an 8-hour round trip plus finding the store plus the time spent in it. This dealer is a Def Tech dealer also so a comparison may be possible, but I think I'd need to be more serious about making a move to go to the necessary trouble; plus, it's weekends by appointment only. And there's no Bryston (Model T) speaker dealer in the NYC area, so that's out for now. The 7000sc has an edge because it, like the Mirage, is bipolar and I like the concept. But, the Brystons are getting rave reviews and have a 20-year warranty.

I may spend some more time listening to my M-3sis and continue looking at potential replacements. Saving is a good idea; maybe I can work all three of these options. It's about gaining the best perspective. Thanks for the input.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 09-16-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Since your Preamp Possibilies thread went on for two years before you made a buying decision, I think I'll withhold my thoughts for a year and a half before letting you know what I think about your Speaker Possibilities.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-16-2013, 02:10 AM

Wilson's! Well...what is your price range?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......Since your Preamp Possibilies thread went on for two years before you made a buying decision, I think I'll withhold my thoughts for a year and a half before letting you know what I think about your Speaker Possibilities.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Wilson's! Well...what is your price range?
The Focus SE is just under 10K before tax and delivery. I don't think going further is warranted. The Signature SE is more my price range, but the image might not be high enough. MY TV sits on a 32" stand, so the image needs to be high enough to be convincing. My shortlist speakers are all around 51" or so.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:22 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Well, remember, that thread began as a hypothetical "what if"; it wasn't a determined plan to replace anything initially. It was a "what should I replace the LS3 with if I need to" thread. It morphed into an active search later on. So it didn't take two years, actually. So there.

Here, I'm considering the merits of a preemptive replacement of my speakers. Deciding whether the idea has merit is my main focus now. If I decide I should do it, then the search becomes active. I wouldn't be in a position to prolong the search should I decide to move ahead necessarily, so if it comes to that it would be a quicker, more practically-based one. Another factor that mitigates against anything being drawn out is that it's quite possible I'll have to move or even relocate upon retiring, as it's doubtful I could afford NY on a reduced income. I would need to consider where I'd go and how much it might cost in advance; that would impact my choices greatly.

Last edited by prepress; 09-17-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Well, remember, that thread began as a hypothetical "what if"; it wasn't a determined plan to replace anything initially. It was a "what should I replace the LS3 with if I need to" thread. It morphed into an active search later on. So it didn't take two years, actually. So there.
Charles.......Oh!

My recommendation is to seek out a Bryston dealer and audition the new Model T. By all reviews and owner comments the Bryston Model T speaker is a giant killer, punching WAY above it's price point. Bryston intentionally put a ridiculously low price on their first speaker to gain attention and achieve some traction in the market place as a speaker manufacturer. Even with the real wood veneer option the Model T comes in under $7500 a pair and is standing toe to toe with speakers three times their price. I don't expect Bryston to keep this introductory pricing much longer on what is turning out to be a very well received hi-end speaker.

The Inner Ear Magazine - Discover High End

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Charles.......Oh!

My recommendation is to seek out a Bryston dealer and audition the new Model T. By all reviews and owner comments the Bryston Model T speaker is a giant killer, punching WAY above it's price point. Bryston intentionally put a ridiculously low price on their first speaker to gain attention and achieve some traction in the market place as a speaker manufacturer. Even with the real wood veneer option the Model T comes in under $7500 a pair and is standing toe to toe with speakers three times their price. I don't expect Bryston to keep this introductory pricing much longer on what is turning out to be a very well received hi-end speaker.

The Inner Ear Magazine - Discover High End

Nice photo.

I contacted Bryston and got an e-mail from James Tanner himself. There aren't any NY dealers yet, as demand is outstripping production. There's a Bryston dealer in NYC, but he doesn't sell the speakers; not all dealers will, either.

This is still about the logical/practical merits of an early, pre-retirement replacement of my Mirages for now, and I want to be satisfied with any decision I make on that first. If I decide yes and the Brystons are around at or near the current price, and my wallet agrees, they may well be the ones (if I can find them). I saw that Inner Ear review a few days ago and skimmed it—it's a good review. I may re-read it.