AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 10-13-2019, 06:02 PM

Default Definition Possible with the Triton 3/Typhon QR

For those of you now enjoying the Triton 3/Typhon QR combination (and congratulations for that), I have a simple test which I would be very grateful if you could run. There are two tracks in which I have found that the better a system's noise reduction system is, the easier it is to clearly hear the spoken passages in those two recordings. The first is the opening dialogue of a man and a woman walking around inside a cave on Track 1 of Caverna Magica by Andreas Vollenweider. The other is the DJ voice-over at about 3:30 in the song "We Built this City on Rock and Roll" included on the Jefferson Starship album "Knee Deep in the Hoopla".

Earlier this year, when I added a Denali 2000/T / Venom HC plus a Denali 6000/S / Venom HC to my audio system, I was floored by how much clearer those two passages became. Nonetheless, I still could not make out everything spoken. And that has gotten me to wonder whether more intelligibility is possible.

With the physical architecture of my system, it would cost me approximately $40,000 to answer that question. However, perhaps one of you could answer it on my behalf -- for which I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.

Main System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor; Wadia 8 CD transport and Digimaster DDC 2000 DAC (w/all updates); Theta Compli CD transport; Oppo UDP-203 disc player; Lumin T2 music server/DAC; Roon Nucleus+ core (w/Teddy Pardo LPS); SOTA Sapphire turntable (w/ Premier FT3 arm and Hana SL cartridge); SugarCube SC-2 non-destructive "click and pop" removal device; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; Magnum Dynalab MD-102 FM tuner (w/MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM antenna amplifier and ST-2 FM antenna); McIntosh MC 611 (3), Krell FPB 200C, and KAV-250a power amplifiers; Revel Ultima Studio (2 - L&R), Voice (1 - center), and Embrace (2 sides and 2 surrounds) speakers; SVS PB-16 Ultra (2) and 3000 Micro (2) powered subwoofers; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; various Kimber Kable, MIT, Shunyata, and WireWorld interconnects; Shunyata Denali 2000/T (2), Denali 6000/S, Hydra [original], Hydra 2, and Venom PS10 power conditioners; various Shunyata Delta, Venom, PowerSnake, and Sidewinder power cords, and Venom Defenders (2); Richard Gray's Power Company Substation and 400 Pro; Luxul AGS-1024 Ethernet switch; Sound Anchor amplifier stand; VTI (2) and Billy Bags (4) equipment racks.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:16 PM

I have no problem clearly hearing everything in the Jefferson Starship track but I cannot make-out (translate) anything in the Caverna Magica one.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:47 PM

Wow! Given your system, I think it is reasonable to conclude that any problems with Caverna Magica are due to the recording's own shortcomings. As for the Jefferson Starship track, well, it confirms that I still have a journey ahead of me if I want to approach "as good as it gets".

Thank you for your input.

Main System: Theta Casablanca V preamp/processor; Wadia 8 CD transport and Digimaster DDC 2000 DAC (w/all updates); Theta Compli CD transport; Oppo UDP-203 disc player; Lumin T2 music server/DAC; Roon Nucleus+ core (w/Teddy Pardo LPS); SOTA Sapphire turntable (w/ Premier FT3 arm and Hana SL cartridge); SugarCube SC-2 non-destructive "click and pop" removal device; PS Audio Stellar phono preamp; Magnum Dynalab MD-102 FM tuner (w/MD-205 Signal Sleuth FM antenna amplifier and ST-2 FM antenna); McIntosh MC 611 (3), Krell FPB 200C, and KAV-250a power amplifiers; Revel Ultima Studio (2 - L&R), Voice (1 - center), and Embrace (2 sides and 2 surrounds) speakers; SVS PB-16 Ultra (2) and 3000 Micro (2) powered subwoofers; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables; various Kimber Kable, MIT, Shunyata, and WireWorld interconnects; Shunyata Denali 2000/T (2), Denali 6000/S, Hydra [original], Hydra 2, and Venom PS10 power conditioners; various Shunyata Delta, Venom, PowerSnake, and Sidewinder power cords, and Venom Defenders (2); Richard Gray's Power Company Substation and 400 Pro; Luxul AGS-1024 Ethernet switch; Sound Anchor amplifier stand; VTI (2) and Billy Bags (4) equipment racks.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 PM

I’ve got a Triton v3/Typhon QR combo but I’m away right now. I’ll be happy to give those two tracks a listen tomorrow evening and let you know what I hear.

Steve

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 10-14-2019, 03:34 AM

I’m not sure if hearing these voices simply comes down to a system’s noise reduction system. I can hear the voices easily enough but I can’t make out all the words being said. My sense is that what would help to better bring these out would be components or speakers that are more resolving. Still-One has one heck of a nice system. Would swapping out his Triton/Typhon for a Denali lose him the ability to hear these words? I kinda doubt that ... but I could be wrong.

Like you I have a Denali and couldn’t make out all the words. I recently replaced the stock power supplies on my Chord components for batteries. My system’s noise floor dropped in a jaw dropping way. I’m more inclined to place the blame for the lack of intelligibly somewhere other than my power situation. Too many darn variables here, but reports from others should help.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256
Old 10-14-2019, 09:08 PM

This was a fun experiment! I listened to the tracks on qobuz so take them as perhaps not reference quality tracks, but nevertheless - in my listening to Caverna Magica the voices are crystal clear, no difficulty hearing them. Now of course they are speaking non english, and at times the voices are played backwards, so I cannot know exactly what they are saying: Nevertheless, the voices are crystal clear - no problem there. (btw the voices sound like they at times are being played backwards as they are walking on the gravel prior to entering the cave). On the track We Built This City, the announcer on the radio is clear as day, no difficulty understanding exactly what was said.
I agree though with the prior post that everything matters when getting to this level of resolution (power, vibration, cabling, etc.). Power though goes a long way towards the goal.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:40 PM

What is described - much clearer words sung - was the first thing I noticed when I plugged in my AQ Niagara 5000/Hurricane PCs for the first time. It was dramatic. The effect was further clarified when the IC from my source to my integrated was upgraded. So I don't think this is something exclusive to Shunyata solutions.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:06 PM

I just got done listening to both selections, both via Qobuz and Tidal. I don’t own high rez versions of either and my LPs of Caverna Magica are packed away right now.

Caverna Magica, as was pointed out, has some of those intro vocals recorded backwards, as well as the 16/44.1 tracks on both Tidal and Qobuz being recordings inferior to my memory of what the vinyl sounds like. Regardless, despite the voices being pretty much unintelligible, they are perfectly audible on my system.

I don’t own Knee Deep In The Hoopla, either. However, I am able to understand all of the DJ voice overs, including the very first part at 3:30.

I’m in agreement with what KennyB123 had to say, as well.

Hope this helps.

Steve

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 10-15-2019, 03:00 AM

I agree that this was a fun exercise. It’s an excellent test of system’s resolving abilities. I will have to return to these in the future to see how much progress I’ve made.

I was able to hear what was being said for the most part, but I only struggled in a few places. I heard everything the DJ said except his first few words weren’t as well articulated.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Last edited by kennyb123; 10-15-2019 at 03:05 AM.