AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 02-16-2017, 08:40 AM

Hi Cincy.
Thank's for your answer.
Big step forward from Mac Mini to W20 !!!
Aurender works hand by hand with DCS as you can see on the manual. The sinergy is sure. I'm waiting for the future of this model ( mkii?, Roon Ready, MQA ).
One the virtues of the W20 is the dual AES output, sure that it works wonderful by USB, however, i think it's an option to take care.
As i see, you are using the DCS as preamp too. Maybe putting a preamp you would dispense with the subs, or maybe not. Have you tried it?
As i tried with a Rossini my system sounds better with my TAD C600 on the chain, specially improving bass response.
Regards.

Last edited by Nacho; 02-16-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 AM

I've been using a w20 for a few months now. It replaced the original s10 and the improvement was major.

Much of my listening has been using either Tidal or Qobus to stream. Quality on both is outstanding.

I've been experimenting today with improving the power supply to the modem/router I use (latest BT home hub). First step was to feed the PSU unit from a Vertex mains distribution block. This is a very good device for smoothing out noise on the main supply.

First results very encouraging with an impression of better soundstage.

Next step is to replace the supplied cheap and nasty switched mode PSU with a decent 12v linear supply. I'm picking that up tomorrow and really looking forward to next listening session.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by custodian View Post
I've been using a w20 for a few months now. It replaced the original s10 and the improvement was major.

Much of my listening has been using either Tidal or Qobus to stream. Quality on both is outstanding.

I've been experimenting today with improving the power supply to the modem/router I use (latest BT home hub). First step was to feed the PSU unit from a Vertex mains distribution block. This is a very good device for smoothing out noise on the main supply.

First results very encouraging with an impression of better soundstage.

Next step is to replace the supplied cheap and nasty switched mode PSU with a decent 12v linear supply. I'm picking that up tomorrow and really looking forward to next listening session.
Custodian,
I have had the W20 for a few weeks now and it is amazing and like you, I mostly stream Tidal with great sound. How do connect the W20 and what equipment are you pairing it with? Based on your posts, you seem to have a lot of technical expertise, and I'm interested to hear how you have it setup. Are you using a clock with the W20? USB, SPDIF, Duel AES/EBU? Thanks in advance!

Dave
Old 02-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Anyone Using An Aurender W20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Custodian,

I have had the W20 for a few weeks now and it is amazing and like you, I mostly stream Tidal with great sound. How do connect the W20 and what equipment are you pairing it with? Based on your posts, you seem to have a lot of technical expertise, and I'm interested to hear how you have it setup. Are you using a clock with the W20? USB, SPDIF, Duel AES/EBU? Thanks in advance!

Dave

Dave
Thanks for the post.

Aurender is connected using twin AES/EBU (Siltech reference series) to DCS Scarlatti DAC. Both DAC and Aurender are clocked by DCS Scarlatti clock which in turn gets master clock 10mHz signal from home made reference clock using Oscilloquartz 8607 BVA clock.

DAC feeds analogue output to Ayre KXR preamp which outputs to Halcro dm88 monoblocks feeding YG Anat Ref. studio speakers with additional reinforcement in deep bass from Wilson Watchdog subwoofer.

Mains power supplied through PurePower 2000+ for low power components and Kemp block for amps.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Dave
Thanks for the post.

Aurender is connected using twin AES/EBU (Siltech reference series) to DCS Scarlatti DAC. Both DAC and Aurender are clocked by DCS Scarlatti clock which in turn gets master clock 10mHz signal from home made reference clock using Oscilloquartz 8607 BVA clock.

DAC feeds analogue output to Ayre KXR preamp which outputs to Halcro dm88 monoblocks feeding YG Anat Ref. studio speakers with additional reinforcement in deep bass from Wilson Watchdog subwoofer.

Mains power supplied through PurePower 2000+ for low power components and Kemp block for amps.
Custodian,
That sounds like a really nice system!! Did you ever try USB? I did but in the end preferred SPDIF. I'm looking at the Nagra HD dac that has Duel AES/EBU inputs which I usually prefer. Thanks for the response!

Dave
Old 02-21-2017, 01:02 PM

Dave, I used USB on the previous Aurender s10 which sounded really good. I haven't tried USB on the w20 but since I've got a Siltech reference USB cable sitting here doing nothing, I ought to at least try it for comparison.

Does the Nagra DAC have a clock out facility so you can lock the Aurender to it? If not, I'd expect USB to sound better than the twin AES/EBU.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Dave, I used USB on the previous Aurender s10 which sounded really good. I haven't tried USB on the w20 but since I've got a Siltech reference USB cable sitting here doing nothing, I ought to at least try it for comparison.

Does the Nagra DAC have a clock out facility so you can lock the Aurender to it? If not, I'd expect USB to sound better than the twin AES/EBU.
Forgive me, I'm a technical novice but if I remember correctly, I was told async USB would use the clock in the W20 and SPDIF would allow use of my Esoteric clock. Am I wrong? Good question about the DAC. I'll look into it.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM

Dave, you're right. Asynchronous USB will lock the Aurender to whatever is communicating via the asynchronous USB but if you go to a DAC without facility for separate clock communication, then twin AES/EBU will not lock the Aurender to the DAC. Sound might still be good but possibly not as good as a situation where clocking controlled by DAC (or by a separate master clock)

Have you tried the dcs equipment? It has very versatile connectivity for clocking
Old 02-21-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Dave, you're right. Asynchronous USB will lock the Aurender to whatever is communicating via the asynchronous USB but if you go to a DAC without facility for separate clock communication, then twin AES/EBU will not lock the Aurender to the DAC. Sound might still be good but possibly not as good as a situation where clocking controlled by DAC (or by a separate master clock)

Have you tried the dcs equipment? It has very versatile connectivity for clocking
I have looked at the DCS stacks. Really nice equipment and sound but my modest sized room can't accommodate 4 more boxes. My wallet either. I looked at the Rossini but I have collected too many SACDs to go to a redbook only player. I wonder if there are DACS that include clock connectivity without a transport?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:42 PM

You could just get the DAC from dcs. That could be used as the master. Sacd playback would be a problem unless you went for either a separate sacd dcs transport or, alternatively went for the dcs Puccini which has built in sacd transport (if my memory is correct!)