AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 10-07-2015, 09:13 PM

I would go for a Clearaudio Performance DC in that price range, with a ClearAudio Talisman cartridge. Other options up the food chain I would consider include the ClearAudio Ovation or if you want to really stretch the budget, I would look at the AMG Giro Turntable. I have the AMG V12 Viella and could not be happier with it (even more budget stretching). The cartridge I would use on the Giro would be either the Benz-Micro SLR or the AMG Teatro.

Just my 2 cents...

B
Old 10-08-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briweed View Post
I would go for a Clearaudio Performance DC in that price range, with a ClearAudio Talisman cartridge. Other options up the food chain I would consider include the ClearAudio Ovation or if you want to really stretch the budget, I would look at the AMG Giro Turntable. I have the AMG V12 Viella and could not be happier with it (even more budget stretching). The cartridge I would use on the Giro would be either the Benz-Micro SLR or the AMG Teatro.

Just my 2 cents...

B
+1 on the Giro/Teatro
Old 10-08-2015, 07:15 AM

For 5-6 K you get have this set up I have been happy with all brand new: Gyro SE $2500, SME 309 tone arm $2100, Shelter MC501 cartridge $1000. Dan has the same tt and tone arm with a cadenza black cartridge.

Gyro SE | Michell Engineering
Old 10-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Retired

Next to the VPI arm, the SME309 is the best I've owned. One nice feature on the new 309 arm is the changeable headshell, which makes swapping cartridges a breeze. Wish VPI had that feature rather then having to change the entire arm-wand (an expensive swap).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-08-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
For 5-6 K you get have this set up I have been happy with all brand new: Gyro SE $2500, SME 309 tone arm $2100, Shelter MC501 cartridge $1000. Dan has the same tt and tone arm with a cadenza black cartridge. Gyro SE | Michell Engineering
The Michell Gyro SE is a great piece of equipment. Had one for many years. Can be upgraded to Orbe spec, which then makes it an OrGy. Used mine with SME 3009 S2 Improved and then SME Series IV.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 10-08-2015, 08:08 PM

My current table/cart (any 1 of many) greatly exceeds that 5K, but if I had to do it over on a 5K budget, it would actually be an incredibly easy choice: VPI Scoutmaster II and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. I own a Clearaudio Innovation Wood w/ Graham Phantom and it's really nice but honestly you can get equal or better sound for less money with VPI -- not to mention the far superior service/support/upgradeability. I've got a local friend running an older Scoutmaster with Ortofon Jubilee and I'm very jealous of the price-to-performance ratio he gets there -- especially after upgrading to the 3D arm (now I want a 3D arm over my Graham). Live and learn.

The Cadenza Bronze is among the sweetest of sweet spots I've encountered in audio. It's definitely not flawless (compared to superior attributes of the Koetsu Platinums, Ortofon Windfeld, Ortofon Anna). But it really is a very good technical performer while possessing incredibly musicality. I'll never forget the first time I heard me new Kontrapunkt "c" (the Bronze's predecessor) on my SOTA Star and Tannoy Kensington speakers -- coming from a Benz Glider L2, it was essentially a night-and-day improvement on all fronts. The Cadenza Bronze sounds far better than the lower-end Ortofons, e.g. Cadenza Red, 2M Black (though I haven't hear the Cadenza Blue, which might also be good), and the upper end Ortofons start to lose the plot of musicality to my ears -- though if you decide to stretch for a Cadenza Black or pick up an old Jubilee, I think those would also be excellent choices.

Last edited by mulveling; 10-08-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 PM

I agree with Mike about the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, as I've been touting its virtues for quite some time. I run mine on the Nottingham Dais with Origin Live Enterprise-C arm and it performs superbly with just the right balance of warmth along with exceptional detail and tracking ability. The Cadenza Blue is a great value as well, but is definitely leaner in balance and tends to emphasize detail without any added warmth. Ortofon's Cadenza series offers truly exceptional value and allows you to select the flavor that best complements a given system.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Greetings from NC

I should be talking with the local TT guy tomorrow who has both VPI and Ortofon. I am still open to other contenders. This thread is bringing great suggestions that may help others as well so please keep posting.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Retired

Have you noticed the VPI HRX w/Cadenza Red listed in the classifieds? Good deal if you can stretch your budget up to that level.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Have you noticed the VPI HRX w/Cadenza Red listed in the classifieds? Good deal if you can stretch your budget up to that level.
The HR-X looks to be an absolutely fabulous table, though I've not played with one in person. Could definitely be your last table ever. The Cadenza Red might be good enough to tide you over for a while (and it will beat the hell out of your 2M Bronze), but upgrade to the Bronze as soon as possible -- it's a BIG improvement!! Heard the same thing with the Kontrapunkt "a" vs. "c", btw. The "a"/Red sounds musically and dynamically incomplete next to the "c"/Bronze. The Red is a lovely cart for backup or not-so-critical listening (i.e. running up hours) purposes, so do consider that if the package deal is right.

Last edited by mulveling; 10-09-2015 at 10:35 PM.