AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Just a few observations....
I see no one has used a digital microscope, probably a good thing, I have beautiful photos, but just can't get a 92 degree SRA. Puts the cartridge at extreme risk moving the microscope in close!!!
Adjusting VTA on the fly makes a big difference to tracking force, so I believe many of the changes relate to this. You have to readjust tracking force each time you adjust the VTA.
Adjusting the VTA also changes the overhang and therefore the geometry, so this, ideally, should be reset for when VTA is adjusted.
The one thing I haven't tried is an oscilloscope, it makes sense that this should be the "holy grail" of cartridge set up. I suppose interpretation of the wave forms requires some skill. I'm trying to set up an input to my laptop for an oscilloscope, any advice??
Some day I will be able to upload pictures of SRA etc..
Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinster View Post
Just a few observations....
I see no one has used a digital microscope, probably a good thing, I have beautiful photos, but just can't get a 92 degree SRA. Puts the cartridge at extreme risk moving the microscope in close!!!
Adjusting VTA on the fly makes a big difference to tracking force, so I believe many of the changes relate to this. You have to readjust tracking force each time you adjust the VTA.
Adjusting the VTA also changes the overhang and therefore the geometry, so this, ideally, should be reset for when VTA is adjusted.
The one thing I haven't tried is an oscilloscope, it makes sense that this should be the "holy grail" of cartridge set up. I suppose interpretation of the wave forms requires some skill. I'm trying to set up an input to my laptop for an oscilloscope, any advice??
Some day I will be able to upload pictures of SRA etc..
I have the VTALifter2 on my Clearaudio Ovation. When I had the Clarify arm, which is a magnetic bearing arm, changing VTA caused a change in VTF. Now I have the Magnify arm, which is a hybrid bearing (magnetic in one plane only). Changing VTA changes the VTF very little. In fact none at all over the range I adjust VTA. So I think your point about changes in VTA changing VTF depends on the tonearm. But I do agree it is good to check.

As for changes in VTA changing stylus overhang, I setup my table for specific VTA (slightly tail down). I change the VTA to accommodate different record thicknesses (i.e from 110g to 200g) so that I keep the same relative VTA. My adjustments to VTA change it relative to the platter, but not so much to the stylus resting on the actual record, so I think the overhang changes little or not at all.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josquin des Prez View Post
As for changes in VTA changing stylus overhang, I setup my table for specific VTA (slightly tail down). I change the VTA to accommodate different record thicknesses (i.e from 110g to 200g) so that I keep the same relative VTA. My adjustments to VTA change it relative to the platter, but not so much to the stylus resting on the actual record, so I think the overhang changes little or not at all.
That makes absolute sense, the angle of your tone arm remains constant, so a very small adjustment equivalent to the change in thickness of the record, won't affect anything! Could argue that not adjusting tonearm height for different thickness records will result in different tracking forces.
What I was talking about was actually changing VTA, i.e.. experimenting to get the optimal angle, then the VTA/SRA/horizontality of the tone arm change, and everything is affected, VTF being the most dramatic, but a 5mm change in arm base height on my 4 Point changes the overhang by about 1 mm. And this translates to a change in SRA of about 1 degree, so not terribly much!
So I think we agree?
As an aside, how do I upload pictures?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:02 PM

Thank you serge for taking the time to post your experiences and especially, your pictures. I will buy a TT in a year or two. I was intimidated by all the very careful adjustments necessary to optimize sound, but you post really gives me confidence that I can also do this.

And thanks for making this a sticky, Ivan. Without that, I don't think I would have ever found this.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I have the VTALifter2 on my Clearaudio Ovation. When I had the Clarify arm, which is a magnetic bearing arm, changing VTA caused a change in VTF. Now I have the Magnify arm, which is a hybrid bearing (magnetic in one plane only). Changing VTA changes the VTF very little. In fact none at all over the range I adjust VTA. So I think your point about changes in VTA changing VTF depends on the tonearm. But I do agree it is good to check.

VTA always changes when you change VTF ............
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wayne View Post
VTA always changes when you change VTF ............
As I mentioned, above, there is no difference in VTF when changing VTA on my Magnify arm. If there is a difference, then it is smaller than the margin of error on my digital VTF gauge. I have checked this several times.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 PM

I understand Dean, i was not disputing your situation , i was adding that VTA changes with changes to VTF.......
Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Wayne View Post
I understand Dean, i was not disputing your situation , i was adding that VTA changes with changes to VTF.......
Right. Sorry. I didn't pay close enough attention.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Right. Sorry. I didn't pay close enough attention.
As a random question and off track to the original post.

Does this add credibility to the McIntosh MT10 turntable not having a VTA adjustment.

This is a Clear Audio turntable.

Is the MT10 engineered to offset this adjustment.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:48 AM
♥Mikuru Asahina♥

humble beginnings, the TT i inherited from my father, along with the rest of his meager system, which turned out to be my first step up from a boombox, to component Hi-Fi,
back around 1999/Y2K;

BSR 200BAX (197?)