AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 12-28-2020, 07:33 PM

Default The PrimaLuna EVO Series Garners Rave Reviews Worldwide.

Make 2021 the year you discover the magic of tube audio! There's a PrimaLuna for every budget, and the EVO range is raking in 2020 'product of the year' awards in Europe and the US.

https://youtu.be/nvmounEhWqM
Old 12-28-2020, 08:39 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I have the EVO 100 Dac and it's amazing!
Old 12-28-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
I have the EVO 100 Dac and it's amazing!
I need an EVO dac for my Dialogue Premium HP integrated.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:13 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Using mine with MC275V6 C2200. Great match!
Old 12-29-2020, 10:51 AM
Retired

Made in China. 'Nuff said.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-29-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Made in China. 'Nuff said.
Ahem... Assembled in China... Point to point wiring and hand soldering is no longer a viable business idea unless one is going to charge multiples of the Prima Luna.

Designed in Holland and parts are of extreme quality for the price. A true bargain and sonically a winner. Very happy with my Prima Luna.

So "Nuff said" does not say enough as the Prima Luna easily competes on a much higher level.

Never mind the magazines with their awards, I can testify to that myself having owned tubed gear costing multiples of the price and made in the US.

Besides, I would need to stop buying all the iPhones, iPads, TVs and all the other electronics if I did not want to buy "Made in China". Not many choices left.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:49 AM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Ahem... Assembled in China... Point to point wiring and hand soldering is no longer a viable business idea unless one is going to charge multiples of the Prima Luna.

Designed in Holland and parts are of extreme quality for the price. A true bargain and sonically a winner. Very happy with my Prima Luna.

So "Nuff said" does not say enough as the Prima Luna easily competes on a much higher level.

Never mind the magazines with their awards, I can testify to that myself having owned tubed gear costing multiples of the price and made in the US.

Besides, I would need to stop buying all the iPhones, iPads, TVs and all the other electronics if I did not want to buy "Made in China". Not many choices left.
Serge +1

I have owned in the past gear from Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, McIntosh, VTL... I can confirm PrimaLuna competes with the best.

I have recently parted from a McIntosh MA8000 (at several times the price) but kept a PrimaLuna Dialogue Two (now in the Bedroom system with the SF Cremona's)
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 12-29-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Serge +1

I have owned in the past gear from Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, McIntosh, VTL... I can confirm PrimaLuna competes with the best.

I have recently parted from a McIntosh MA8000 (at several times the price) but kept a PrimaLuna Dialogue Two (now in the Bedroom system with the SF Cremona's)
I know "Uncle Kevin" (I call him that because I purchased my first "audiophile on a budget" gear some 25 years ago and he was always very helpful and genuine) was running some blind listening comparisons with the Prima Luna and a panel of experienced listeners against gear costing multiples from well known brands. PrimaLuna captured the majority of votes. The awards bestowed upon the PrimaLuna brand from various publications are well deserved and fair.

Assembled in China is not for everyone, I get that but good luck getting 100% American made parts in anything these days. It is a global economy and China leads the way with manufacturing, ahead of the US. That is not likely to change.

While we worry about what is politically correct, what should stay and what should be taken down, China builds out mega-cities to populate them and put their people to work and work they do...
Old 12-29-2020, 01:32 PM

How do you feel it compares to a MC275VI?
Old 12-29-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubla36 View Post
How do you feel it compares to a MC275VI?
I have never compared the two directly as they occupied different times, different gear/speakers and different rooms, size and acoustic response wise.

I had the MC275MK "IV" not "VI".

Also keep in mind I am running a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP "integrated", not separates. So for the price of MC275, you have a whole system instead of an amp with a preamp to purchase on top... Plus I get to listen to headphones through 14 tubes with a true voltage divider, not some op-amp cheap transistor...

But... what I can say is that the PrimaLuna easily keeps up with with some of the best solid state I have owned in terms of recreating a very, very, open soundstage, both width and depth wise, on some recordings it even throws a taller soundstage if it was mastered that way in the studio.

Very palpable, tightly focused and well fleshed out imaging. It easily recreates the room and the space if captured by the microphone that way. Very easy to appreciate that air and spatial qualities on "ONE MIC", high resolution recordings.

Bass is on another level with the PrimaLuna. I often forget I am listening in Triode mode and then I will catch myself thinking about the bass resolution and articulation only to realize I am listening to EL34 tubes in Triode mode! Ultralinear boosts the power for a more dynamic sound and sometimes the listening levels or certain recordings/genres call for that. Nice to have a choice!

There is no doubt in my mind that the PrimaLuna designers left no stone unturned when they sat down to design the line and I do not believe the primary objective was to get rich off their designs. Just way too much quality, smart circuits and high quality parts, all resulting in performance WAY above its price tag. Sometimes you just do things for passion and this seems to be that case, it is very evident.

I can honestly say that the PrimaLuna integrated does move me in more ways that a whole bunch of other very expensive tube gear did... (I don't want to mention not to upset anyone) and I have nothing to gain from sharing my opinion on the PrimaLuna products.

So I honestly have never compared the MC275 in my mind to the PrimaLuna. It just did not leave as lasting an impression on me. I do not miss the MC275 per se but I would seriously miss the PrimaLuna...

Anyone looking to get into tubes should seriously consider the PrimaLuna. Even if planning on spending multiples, would still be wise to sit down and listen objectively.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-29-2020 at 02:07 PM.