AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson Sound that Speaks for Itself

Old 12-29-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
You owe it to yourself to try AC once more. Send them a link to this thread.

They are good shit. I’ve dealt with Mike there in the past and they’ve been outstanding.
Thanks,

We have been in contact, I talked with Steve yesterday. He is going to reach out to his rep and see what can be done. The ball is in the service center's court currently, waiting to hear back from them.

Last edited by brad1138; 01-01-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:05 PM

Hi Brad- all the best on this issue. I'm waiting on a no 526 pre from AC- Should be next week in the house. Def want to know how you come out on this. Thanks
Old 01-01-2021, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
Thanks,

We have been in contact, I talked with Steve yesterday. He is going to reach out to his rep and see what can be done. The ball is in the service centers court currently, waiting to here back from them.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 PM

Update:

The ball is in the West Coast Service Centers court. Via email, I informed them of the issue still existing back on 12/22. They asked me to do a couple tests, which I did and emailed the results back to them a few hours later(with video). But since then I have sent 6 emails asking "what's next" and they haven't replied, so today I called them.

"Renee" their senior tech called me back about 20 minutes later. He seemed new to the situation, wasn't even sure which model I had. We chatted about the problem. I told him, in the past I had talked directly to the owner about it, and it was spelled out on the original service paperwork as well.

He thought a bit, maybe looked something up, then he said he thinks maybe it is "normal", but he will need to research it more. I told him, when the owner and I talked, he specifically told me it was not normal (as I thought), and that the problem was related to the weak bass.

He didn't seem to interested in that, talked over me more than anything. But he said he would research it and call me back, likely Wednesday.

AC is aware that I have been waiting on a response from the WCSC. I will let AC know what Renee has to say after I hear from him.

The Saga continues...

Last edited by brad1138; 01-11-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:55 PM

No call on Wednesday, but I got a call from WCSC today (Thu) about 11:30 am. Not from Renee, but a Neal or Noel, started with an "N" anyway I think.

He asked me if I had just got a call from Harman (ML Parent Co.), I said no. He said I should be getting a call from someone there any time to discuss the power up sequence of my ML. I got the impression they are going to tell me the way mine powers up is normal. I also got the impression he meant they would call "any minute".

I never got a call the rest of the day about it...

Of course "any time" is subjective, and so I will wait till Monday for the call. If nothing, I'll call the WCSC back.

If/when I do get a call from Harman, and if they do say it is normal, I am going to ask for that in writing.

Last edited by brad1138; 01-14-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:59 PM

OK, I got a call from Renee at the WCSC today (Sat 1/16). Apparently I am not getting a call from anyone at Harman...

After Renee's research, apparently that is normal startup and shutdown operation for Levinson amps.

Does anyone else have a 53XH series amp that does the same thing?

He recommended not turning it on or off with a source playing.

I am going to pass that along to Steve at AC and see what he has to say.

It does seem odd to me that it would be such a mystery as to if that is normal or not. And when I first talked to the owner of the WCSC, who loves ML and has all ML equipment at home, he said it was not normal.

But I guess all is good because that is "normal".
Old 01-16-2021, 08:27 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Why would you turn on the amp with a source active? I owned the 532H for four years without issue, was a wonderful amp. My equipment was on 24/7 most of the time or in standby, it was always dead silent when turning on. I never had a source playing music when turning on.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
Why would you turn on the amp with a source active? I owned the 532H for four years without issue, was a wonderful amp. My equipment was on 24/7 most of the time or in standby, it was always dead silent when turning on. I never had a source playing music when turning on.
That really isn't the point, in general I wouldn't. But all ML 532Hs should behave the same, and it is hard to believe what mine is doing is what they all do. If mine is behaving differently, then there is likely something wrong with it. If there is something wrong with it, who knows what other problems that problem could cause.

I would be OK with living with it, if I knew with 100% certainty it wasn't any big deal and wouldn't cause further damage. But being as I just spent over $1,600 having it repaired at a very young age, for an unexplainable reason... Having anything still "wrong" with it bothers me.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
I should clarify, when I say "off", I mean standby.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:37 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Off or stand-by why would you leave a source active (playing music) and turn on the amp?

I reviewed your repair parts list again. It seems both channels had the p/s caps replaced and one channel had all the output transistors replaced plus the thermal track transistors which monitor temperature and bias and shut-down the amp if too hot. This tells me your amp was over driven to the point of destruction or had it's output shorted.

It seems clear it came to you in this condition and the amp could not have been checked out and certified operational with such a massive failure.