AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 04-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

SoundStage Hi-Fi - MQA One Year Later - Suddenly, More Questions

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-03-2017, 12:33 PM

One has to admit, it was a genius business idea and potentially a huge money spinner for MQA.

The fact that MQA is not willing to supply the tools to decompress their files to their original states is the biggest issue for me, and it makes one instantly suspicious! I smell the rat!

Last edited by Douglas; 04-03-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
One has to admit, it was a genius business idea and potentially a huge money spinner for MQA.

The fact that MQA is not willing to supply the tools to decompress their files to their original states is the biggest issue for me, and it makes one instantly suspicious! I smell the rat!
Damn have I been doing it wrong all these years? I've been choosing quality music with my ears when I should have been using my nose.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Damn have I been doing it wrong all these years? I've been choosing quality music with my ears when I should have been using my nose.
I am not implying there are sound quality issues wit MQA. It is clear from feedback that many cannot hear the difference and some have heard improvements. I have not read a single negative review yet on SQ.

A closed system is open to manipulation and deception, and therein lies the rub!
Old 04-03-2017, 06:50 PM

Qobuz has just announced 24/96 hi res streaming, so if you have the bandwidth and are in Europe (or subscribe using a VPN from anywhere) you can have your cake and eat it too - hi res without any manipulation. See this from their blog (bolding is mine, not theirs):

"On top of this, Qobuz has demonstrated its technical leadership by creating QOBUZ SUBLIME +, which will offer 24-Bit Hi-Res streaming for the first time in the world without any compromise and (of course) without any loss or alteration to the original version.

QOBUZ SUBLIME+ uses the incremental subscription method which was first introduced with QOBUZ SUBLIME in 2015. The subscriber can stream the whole catalogue in FLAC 16-Bit / 44,1kHz quality and listen to a catalogue of 60,000 albums in Qobuz 24-Bit Hi-Res either streamed or offline – the largest catalogue in the world. There are also great deals on purchasing the downloads for all the albums – and since the beginning of 2017, the albums are in DSD format, the ultimate format for audio fans."
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-03-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Qobuz has just announced 24/96 hi res streaming, so if you have the bandwidth and are in Europe (or subscribe using a VPN from anywhere) you can have your cake and eat it too - hi res without any manipulation. See this from their blog (bolding is mine, not theirs):

"On top of this, Qobuz has demonstrated its technical leadership by creating QOBUZ SUBLIME +, which will offer 24-Bit Hi-Res streaming for the first time in the world without any compromise and (of course) without any loss or alteration to the original version.

QOBUZ SUBLIME+ uses the incremental subscription method which was first introduced with QOBUZ SUBLIME in 2015. The subscriber can stream the whole catalogue in FLAC 16-Bit / 44,1kHz quality and listen to a catalogue of 60,000 albums in Qobuz 24-Bit Hi-Res either streamed or offline – the largest catalogue in the world. There are also great deals on purchasing the downloads for all the albums – and since the beginning of 2017, the albums are in DSD format, the ultimate format for audio fans."
Shouldn't this be in a QOBUZ thread?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Agreed!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:35 PM

Default MQA Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Shouldn't this be in a QOBUZ thread?

Jim, you're probably right, but I put it here because I thought it was relevant to the discussion that they are able to stream hi res without the use of any compression algorithms like MQA, which I thought was one of the raisons d'etre of MQA. I should have elaborated why I posted it.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 AM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Agreed!

But time will tell.

History says if the technology isn't proven and capitalism runs amok people will not buy it. Competition will see to it. It may become a brilliant attempt...

For me, they have to prove to me it is better both in SQ AND via an open proof of the technical benefits to pay for it.

For now, I see zero reason to pay a premium for MQA. So I am watching.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-04-2017, 12:20 AM
Merry Christmas to all

With the available bandwidth of most home Internet connections I think 24/96 streaming is not that far off for the USA. Tidal seems to be the driving force for MQA. Remove Tidal and what's left for MQA? If another online content provider begins delivering subscriber based 24Bit/96kHz streaming with a huge catalog of music I don't see MQA competing with their compression scheme, particularly since nearly every audiophile presently has a DAC that fully capitalizes on high-res without all the hocus pocus and hardware issues.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A