AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > DeVore Fidelity

DeVore Fidelity Nothing brings you closer to the Music

Old 05-27-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Need Advice - setting up O/93

Well after a long struggle I caved in and bought the first pair of O/93 (#1 and #2) produced, not counting prototypes etc (I think). My room is 13.5"X27" or so.

NOT a dedicated listening room and have a pair of Altec Flamenco which will stay for now beyond the apes. I am sitting about 8-9" from the speakers now but the O/93 will need to be closer. Toe in I believe just a smidge? Will try to keep them of side walls (will be a bit hard).
Any suggestions are welcome!

Will be running them with Montille/Aurieges/Hommage/VPI Prime and Almarro 318b or Trafomatic Premise (EL84) integrated
Old 05-27-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho22 View Post
I am sitting about 8-9" from the speakers...

8-9 inches is pretty close, but at that distance headphones might be more comfortable.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-27-2017, 06:51 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
8-9 inches is pretty close, but at that distance headphones might be more comfortable.
Pretty much my thinking. I listen in the near-field, but more like 5-6'.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-27-2017, 08:16 PM

sorry LOL
I meant feet not inches.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho22 View Post
sorry LOL
I meant feet not inches.

Kinda figured. That room was looking a little small too

The Sumiko Master process is a method many of us have used successfully to position speakers with excellent results. It's time consuming, especially if you don't have a helper, but well worth the effort. I'm sure it's available in other threads, but here it is as posted by Michael aka Yamaki:
http://www.audioaficionado.org/showp...83&postcount=6
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 05-28-2017, 06:10 AM
Retired

Good luck with your Dévorés. I was also watching those O/93s. If they don't work for you, let me know. Be happy to pick them up.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-28-2017, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah theer were 3 sets - i opted for the cheapest and oldest. The seller is a great audio guy. They are in nice shape and sound wonderful. will need to spend some time setting them up, but first want to just listen and enjoy!
Old 05-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Well good that i actually measured things today. The seating position is actually 11 ft away from the speakers. I was able to pull the speakers apart so that the distance between the sides is a bit over 6ft and the distance between the moddle of teh woofers is a bot over 7ft. Unfortunately I cant move the listening couch closer (other furniture blocks it) od moving the speakers closer (furniture again).
I will play with the positining a bit and the toe in but most likely not more than a few inches here or there. BTW they are a bit over 2" from the side walls and 5-6ft from the back wall - however the Altecs are behind them by about 1.5-2 FT.
I know far from ideal...
They sound really great with my Trafomatic Premise, Micro Seiki/Tavish phono combo - I dare to say great synergy and perhaps best this gear ever sounded. I used cheap WE 16 gauge speaker wire.
Now trying with Shindo and A23 speaker wire.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 PM

Another quick question - what is teh best way to clean the speakers from smudges/fingerprints? The manual mentions some vague language around "mild diluted soad detergent"? I was wondering if anyone tried any specifc cleaner or perhaps piano cleaner/wax? I trie dteh latetr on some other speakers (Yamaha NS-1000 ebony and WLM Lyra) with pretty good results - would that work?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:32 PM

Gerlitz Smudge-Off and Dunlop No. 65 guitar polish are both popular options amongst AA'ers. If you search for either you'll find posts from others. I use Gerlitz myself.