AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Just Pure Lucky

As long as you are customizing -- move the lower 3 bottons to the right side and call it quits.

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Audio Snoopster

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I really kind of like the overall look of the D.D. preamp. That being said, I hope that Dan reconsiders the following:
  • Have the copper to cover both the side & top panels as well as make the copper on the top panel to be similar in width to the faceplate's copper strips.
  • Either go with an "All Button" or an "All Mini-Propeller" layout on either side of the Volume Meter, because in it's current form, the faceplate looks rather "busy"/"non-symmetrical" - a fine example of a very elegant symmetrical design would be the Ayre KX-R preamp's Scroll Wheels on either side of its front panel display. In fact, I personally think an "All Mini-Propeller" layout consisting of 2 Mini-Propellers on either side of the Volume Meter would be very nice where the 2 right side Mini-Propellers would remain as the Base & Treble Tone Controls, while the 2 left side Mini-Propellers would be for the Source Selector & the Balance Control.

Other than the somewhat controversial looks, what interests me the most is Dan's re-introduction of Tone Controls which also can be switched out of the audio circuit entirely when not in use. It is claimed that unlike other high-end preamps from days of yore, his implementation will not degrade the sound quality, but rather make flawed recordings sound better. A bold claim indeed, but until I get to demo it, we shall see.

In addition, the following pic shows more clearly the 300 VA power supply which is housed in a separate chassis, which also serves as a base for the D.D. preamp:

Anyway, here's what "PureSound.be" (Dutch audio review website) reported on the D.D. preamp - Puresound: D
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM

Not a fan of the "propeller" buttons. I bet it does sound very nice.

Mike
Old 11-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Audio Snoopster

Default D.D. preamp at TIAS 2012

Dan D'Agostino Momentum preamplifier at the Tokyo International Audio Show 2012 (2-4 November).

Wilson Audio | Dan D'Agostino Master Audio Systems | Ayre Acoustics | Playback Designs

Last edited by admin; 03-11-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Thanks for posting. I still don't like the "propeller" knobs. But, I'm sure it sounds nice.

Mike
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Bob
I don't disagree. It is almost impossible to isolate a single components impact on a systems sound especially when it is not your own system. I was guess I am just looking for some general comments on the events sound.

I am having a hard time talking myself into considering any pre-amp in that price range. I would prefer to allocate funds to other components. That said I did not think that the Momentums would knock my socks off either.

Jim
Jim : trust Linn's advice. A great preamplifier is the heart and soul of a system. GO FOR IT !! I can hear your Momentums screaming from Paris !!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

I agree about the propeller knobs. Kinda throws the visual off a bit. I wonder if there are any pictures of this in black. Though I usually go for silver components, I really like the look of the black monoblocks.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jérôme W View Post
Jim : trust Linn's advice. A great preamplifier is the heart and soul of a system. GO FOR IT !! I can hear your Momentums screaming from Paris !!
Jérôme
I will finally get to spend time with Dan's pre-amp at the Paragon event in Ann Arbor next Thursday and Friday. In the meantime I have had the Doshi pre-amp in my system for the past week. This is the new remote controlled unit that was used at RMAF this past year.

I also saw the crates for Paragon's pair of Wilson Alexia's as they arrived yesterday. These should be set up today to start the break-in period.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Bodhisattva

Lovely gear, just the coin is a bit much for moi
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Jérôme
I will finally get to spend time with Dan's pre-amp at the Paragon event in Ann Arbor next Thursday and Friday. In the meantime I have had the Doshi pre-amp in my system for the past week. This is the new remote controlled unit that was used at RMAF this past year.

I also saw the crates for Paragon's pair of Wilson Alexia's as they arrived yesterday. These should be set up today to start the break-in period.
Jim, oh Jim, you should not even be looking at Alexia's now ... although they are great speakers as you have the Alex!

Dan's Pre should now be added to complete your AMAZING system! Go get it!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar