AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 AM

Default MSS HiFi Took My Money 2

Hi everyone,

First, Merry Christmas to all here I'm lio from Hong Kong.

The following is my personal experience with MSS HiFi.

Earlier this year I was setting up a system for listening to my music collection via computer. I was looking for a decent DAC to fit in the small space and budget I have, then I found Bel Canto. I noted there was no official dealer in Hong Kong for Bel Canto products then I started to search in eBay and this was how I found MSS HiFi. I contacted them and asked for a quote for the 1.5 with black faceplate. I got immediate response from them and they told me this was not in stock but they could ordered it from the factory and it would ship within 3 weeks. I did ask to confirm that the item I ordered was new but they did not respond to this point. The seller had an excellent feedback on eBay and a nice looking website so I had no suspicion at that time (I did not go into the details of his website then). I paid him USD1,170 using Paypal on 22 September 2011. Two days later I paid him another USD250 for the an additional Bel Canto power supply as well. I then waited for the shipment while looking for and ordering other gears for my system.

About 7 weeks later all my other gears had arrived except the Bel Canto DAC. I wrote emails to MSS HiFi. After some six or seven emails sent directly or via their website there was no response, then I started look at their website more seriously. The style of their writing in their website made me worry, and I started to google MSS HiFi and Johnny Boey. The result, as you know, was shocking. Being an overseas buyer not buying from eBay, I knew I most likely have been screwed.

I wrote to MSS HiFi again threatening legal actions, and I received a reply saying that the factory had not yet shipped the DAC and they would sent me the power supply first. I wrote back saying that I knew what this was all about and asked Mr. Boey to wait for my further actions. I did not receive any further response from MSS HiFi nor did I want to communicate with them anymore. I received the power supply a few days later by FedEx whose packaging was labelled "Bel Canto DAC 1.5 Black". The power supply looked like new and had a serial no. but its packaging was open and it had the wrong voltage.

After my last email to MSS HiFi, I contacted Paypal Resolution Center. Unfortunately I found that my first payment had already exceeded their 45 days limit and I could not submit any claim. For my second payment, Paypal asked me to submit a Police report for their consideration but since I already received the power supply (which the second payment was intended for), I was not hopeful to get the refund so I did not bother to contact the police for the relatively small sum of money. My case was, of course, ruled not in my favor eventually.

I also contacted Bel Canto direct and their President replied to me that MSS HiFi was not their authorized dealer and could not have placed any order with them. I later became aware of the legal suit between Bel Canto and MSS HiFi (which as I understand was still ongoing at the time of writing this message). Bel Canto's President also asked me a few questions about my order which I thought he wanted to use to input to his legal case. He also helped me check the serial no. of the power supply which was confirmed to be genuine.

My next step was to file a complaint with the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). After submitting all necessary information and waited several weeks (and some emails to chase the progress), I got a reply from a mediator who said she had been in touch with Mr. Boey and he promised to send the DAC within the last two weeks of December 2011. Of course I did not expect Mr. Boey could indeed send me any genuine product because of what Bel Canto's president told me. However, DCA told me they could not hold a hearing on internet purchase (their usual next step if the complaint was not settled) and asked me to contact the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) for help if I did not receive the product within the promised timeframe. As I expect there was more the DCA could do, because from their website I knew they had inspectors, they did actively investigate fraud, and there were consumer law covering electronic store that was enforced by DCA, I am still still communicating with DCA (at more senior levels) to clarify their role. In any case, I would certainly file a complaint with the IC3 if I did not receive anything within the promised timeframe.

That is my story until now. What amazed me so far was how MSS HiFi got such excellent feedback on eBay (which would continue to fool people who did not research hard enough like me to buy from them) and how MSS HiFi could stay in business till this day after screwing so many people without getting any attention from the enforcement agencies.

I would not want to disclose too much what further actions I would take. I would not rule out any options (including writing to New York media to publicize this matter) and I have got much useful information from the thread "MSS Took my Money". I knew the amount of money was trivial (particularly in a forum like this), but the thought that my hard earned money was in the pocket of Mr. Boey gave me a lot of driving force to continue to pursue this matter.

Thanks all for reading this long and boring message, but I do believe the internet community should be kept informed of this and this could be done by posting here.

lio

Last edited by lio; 12-23-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Listener in Training

Lio, welcome AA. If you're ripped off, the amount of money is not trivial, it's still theft. Good for you to pursue this vigorously, and I hope you get satisfaction either with a refund or the bel canto.

It's a shame this kind of thing happens. In contrast I just bought some equipment from a Hong Kong guy who is now in Vancouver, and my experience was nothing short of excellent.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Hello Lio,

Welcome to AA

I'm sorry for your problem.
I also wonder how this thief can get so many positive reviews on ebay....
I'm affraid that the amount involved in this matter could be too low to hope for an happy ending but I will wait to see what the members have to say about it...
Old 12-23-2011, 10:37 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

lio... That is quite a story, I'm sorry to hear that it happened to you. I think the best we can do is spread the word, so everyone will know he is a thief.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 AM

I am surprised that they still have an eBay account and with better positive feedback numbers than most sellers. I almost bought from them, but after reading Jérôme's thread he saved me the headache.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2011-12-23 at 6.42.07 AM.jpg (21.2 KB, 488 views)

Preamps/tuners:McIntosh C50, C46, MR88, MR73, C2200, C22ce, Cary SPL-98L
Integrate amps:McIntosh MA6100, Denon PMA2000ivr
Amps: McIntosh Mc602, Mc2000, Mc275 MK-V, Cary 805ae mono blocks.
Speakers: JMLab Mezzo Utopia, Focal Twin6 BE, Tannoy Mini Autograph
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800, Beyer T1, Denon D7000, Grado RS1i, Sony MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, AKG K701, and many many more
Digital Sources:Sony SCD-1 & SCD777es, CDP-XA7es, 2010 Mac Mini Music Server, Amarra Mini player, Musical Fidelity V-Link & M1 DAC, Apogee Mini-DAC & Duet 2

Last edited by Dj_AmTraX; 12-23-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

It proves to me eBay's feedback can't be trusted either.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-23-2011, 10:48 AM

This guy will eventually will end up in jail.... But how many more people will have to be ripped off.
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM
That's a Deusy !

I wonder if Ebay would allow you to link this post in your feedback ?
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Music Lover

Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Advice and support are much appreciated.

Last edited by lio; 02-02-2012 at 09:52 AM.