AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-14-2016, 04:49 AM

Default Amati Futura nickel plate vs black satin

Hi All,
does anyone knows why Sonus Faber change Futura's nickel plated finish to black satin ? do you think it was only just for visual reasons or dictated by improvement in acoustics?
Thank you for your input in advance.
Regards,
Andrew
Old 01-14-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andski View Post
Hi All,
do you think it was only just for visual reasons or dictated by improvement in acoustics?
Andrew
Would you care to elaborate. Why do you suspect it can have anything to do with acoustics? Have you heard that the two should sound different?
I have them in chrome and they sound as beautiful as they look
Old 01-14-2016, 03:19 PM

The chrome ones sound brighter, and the black ones sound darker. Just kidding. No idea. I'd be happy with either. I think the chrome or nickel plated orvwhatever the are look prettier. Because shiny.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
Would you care to elaborate. Why do you suspect it can have anything to do with acoustics? Have you heard that the two should sound different? I have them in chrome and they sound as beautiful as they look

Not at all, love the speakers finally buying new pair but have a choice between new old stock Nickel plates or black satin and could not find out anywhere why Sonus Faber change the design to black,
logical explanation would suggest the it is visual improvement
Shunyata Zitron Alpha HC PC, Shunyata Zitron Alpha Digital PC, Shunyata SR-Z1 AC Outlets
Old 01-14-2016, 03:26 PM

Personally I also like the look of the Nickel finish
Shunyata Zitron Alpha HC PC, Shunyata Zitron Alpha Digital PC, Shunyata SR-Z1 AC Outlets
Old 01-14-2016, 09:58 PM

I was told the change was based on home theater use. There was two much light reflection coming from the chrome. I have a pair of graphite Amati's with the chrome finish and I definitely prefer them to the black satin.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:13 PM

The metal finish, which is an alloy called Avional (aluminium and copper are the primary metals), is susceptible to tarnishing. Leaving a handprint or similar on the alloy for some time without cleaning it can permanently damage the finish.

I was told SF were sufficiently concerned about the number of customers who did not bother using the supplied cleaning cloth (with later versions also including a cleaning fluid), and were permanently damaging the finish, that they decided to stop using the material altogether.

I suspect there may also have been a cost issue involved - this is likely to have been an expensive material. Pity, it has a wonderful lustre that is quite unlike other shiny metals.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:02 PM

The Avional finish on my Amati Futuras is beautiful. No question. As Glen noted, it also needs special care. I use cotton balls soaked in distilled water to remove accumulated dust, and then I use the supplied cleaner and a soft lint free cloth for the final step. Works great. The metal is so polished it has a liquid look to it.

An anodized finish will be much harder and easier to clean and maintain over time.

But really, while you might have a preference, I wouldn't be too concerned. I initially wanted the Walnut/Black, but found a great deal on the Silver/Red. I am more than happy, and Kelly really loves the look of them.

Either option is just stunning visually.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-17-2016, 05:30 AM

Thank you guys for your input it was actually very hard to find any info in regards to that,
really like Avional finish with red wood it's very attractive look I think Futuras are probably one of better looking speakers in Sonus Faber range

Last edited by andski; 01-17-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM

The Futuras are amazing looking.