AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1541  
Old 03-24-2020, 02:25 PM
gbaby gbaby is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
It wasn't an expectation. It is a requirement of mine which has not been met.
Kal, I thought you were a two channel man. The SP3 has stereo balanced inputs so one would think it would suffice for you.
Reply With Quote
  #1542  
Old 03-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
Kal Rubinson Kal Rubinson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Kal, I thought you were a two channel man. The SP3 has stereo balanced inputs so one would think it would suffice for you.
Ah. Perhaps I should just stack 3 or 4 of them.
Reply With Quote
  #1543  
Old 03-24-2020, 02:48 PM
gbaby gbaby is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Ah. Perhaps I should just stack 3 or 4 of them.
You know that is not practical. I guess that is why you purchased multiple exasound D/A converters; to listen to SACD and DVDA multichannel, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #1544  
Old 03-24-2020, 06:24 PM
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
Kal Rubinson Kal Rubinson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
You know that is not practical. I guess that is why you purchased multiple exasound D/A converters; to listen to SACD and DVDA multichannel, correct?
No. The exaSound e38 is an 8-channel DAC in one box. I also have an Okto DAC8 Pro 8 channel DAC. Both serve me to listen to multichannel files of many formats.
Reply With Quote
  #1545  
Old 03-25-2020, 12:30 PM
bart's Avatar
bart bart is online now
Life is beautiful


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 15,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
No. The exaSound e38 is an 8-channel DAC in one box. I also have an Okto DAC8 Pro 8 channel DAC. Both serve me to listen to multichannel files of many formats.

Kal, I'm also seriously looking at the exaSound e38, based on your review and the experience of a recording engineer, who likes it better than the Merging Nadac Anubis.
How do you have it connected to your server?
Via USB?

Thanks in advance!
__________________
Stereo: Hegel H590, Burmester 061 - 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
In storage: Halgorythme amplifiers
Reply With Quote
  #1546  
Old 03-25-2020, 02:51 PM
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
Kal Rubinson Kal Rubinson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Kal, I'm also seriously looking at the exaSound e38, based on your review and the experience of a recording engineer, who likes it better than the Merging Nadac Anubis.
I, too, prefer it to the Anubis except for the Anibis' flexibility and nice volume control.
Quote:
How do you have it connected to your server?
Via USB?
Yes or via the Sigma Streamer. I prefer using USB with JRiver and using the Sigma with Roon.

As far as the VC is concerned, if you use the e38 with JRiver on a PC, you can use this nifty DROK volume controller from Amazon: .

It can run JRiver's internal digital VC or exaSound's internal VC.

As an aside, there is also the Okto DAC8 Pro with it's built-in VC but it is PCM-only. Correction: The DAC8 will play PCM up to 192 kHz / 32 bit as well as DSD128 and DoP64.

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 03-26-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1547  
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 PM
bart's Avatar
bart bart is online now
Life is beautiful


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 15,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
As an aside, there is also the Okto DAC8 Pro with it's built-in VC but it is PCM-only.

Interesting unit!
I wasn't aware of its existence.
Comes from eastern Europe.
Around 1K...
__________________
Stereo: Hegel H590, Burmester 061 - 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
In storage: Halgorythme amplifiers
Reply With Quote
  #1548  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:42 AM
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
Kal Rubinson Kal Rubinson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
.................................................. ..
As an aside, there is also the Okto DAC8 Pro with it's built-in VC but it is PCM-only.
Let me correct this: The DAC8 will play PCM up to 192 kHz / 32 bit as well as DSD128 and DoP64.
Reply With Quote
  #1549  
Old 03-28-2020, 08:41 AM
Ollie's Avatar
Ollie Ollie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 91
Default

What is the best setup for connecting a turntable with phono stage to the SP3?
I’m thinking RCAs to the singe ended inputs (tuner) and the set 2 channel bypass plus stereo?

Or can I connect it to the bda 3.14?
__________________
Bryston SP3, BDA-3.14, 6BSST, 3BSST, Oppo103, Nvidia, ClearAudio, Dynuadio

Last edited by Ollie; 03-28-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1550  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 AM
James Tanner - Bryston James Tanner - Bryston is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,680
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
What is the best setup for connecting a turntable with phono stage to the SP3?
I’m thinking RCAs to the singe ended inputs (tuner) and the set 2 channel bypass plus stereo?

Or can I connect it to the bda 3.14?
Hi Ollie

Do not connect to the 3.14 as it is a DAC.

Just use a pair of the RCA inputs and then 2 channel analog bypass.

james
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase