AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-12-2017, 02:58 PM

This seems very strange to me. Mine sounded fantastic out of the box. Did you try one in your system before buying? Maybe you just don't like the ARC sound? I dunno...
Old 12-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael paul View Post
Granted it has less than 10 hours on it. I called audio research...they assured me it needs time..would they tell me otherwise?.we will see...return policy?..is that a joke??..fingers crossed that it will transform....mike
Hi Mike, as the others have said give it some time. I went through this with my Ref 5SE and now my Ref 10. I wouldn't seriously consider getting rid of it until after 100 hours of time on it. That has been the average time for me with both units. The amazing thing is they do seem to sound "collapsed" with soundstaging when new. You will hear it when it does open up. For me I had the soundstaging issues only with my Ref 10 which now has 250 hours on it! Sounds fantastic now and I love it!
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.

Last edited by Sharp 1080; 12-12-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
hello..i just fired up a new ref6. i am disappointed.

it did not " sound great out of the box".

exactly what transpires during break-in? i hope it turns into a completely different preamp.

i just do not see see this changing so much. i feel that "it is what it is" generally speaking.

i not much of a believer of a massive change in new audio equipment.

this thing needs a new personality imho.

not thrilled at all.

hope i am wrong.

mike
Hi Mike,

Don’t despair, the Teflon capacitors in the Reference 6 need at least 600 hours of
break in before they normalize. You may hear some harshness in the treble for the first several hundred hours, which will eventually dissipate. Please take my advice and hold off on your final evaluation until 600 hours. It will be worth the wait.

Best,
Ken
Old 12-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Sorry to say, but I could never warm up to mine. I had the same feelings right from the start and it never got to a point that I could live with it. I now have a McIntosh C1100, and while it gives up certain areas of strength the REF6 has (some detail, air and soundstage) it is a much more enjoyable piece.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban View Post
Sorry to say, but I could never warm up to mine. I had the same feelings right from the start and it never got to a point that I could live with it. I now have a McIntosh C1100, and while it gives up certain areas of strength the REF6 has (some detail, air and soundstage) it is a much more enjoyable piece.
How many hours did it have when you sold it? Honestly.

I know a couple of people who sold theirs well before 600 hours and they may have missed the boat. My REF10 started smoothing out at 400-500 hours. It’s been my experience that the REF6 needs the full 600 hours to lose that edge in the treble.

Nevertheless, the C1100 is a fine preamp. Congrats!

Best,
Ken
Old 12-12-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
we will see...return policy?..is that a joke??..
Mike, the only 'joke' would be on you, for to buy something that expensive and not be able to return it ranks pretty high on the 'not so bright list' !

For the record, I've owned ARC gear for 35 years and while I've never once returned a piece after I bought the option was ALWAYS there !
Old 12-12-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
It does need quite a bit of break in time. Out of the box my ex ARC REF250 monos and Ref 40th anniv. preamp sounded very sterile and lean. Over the course of a few weeks the soundstage started to open up and the system started gaining in weight, body and proper scale. Of course system synergy also comes into play. What is the rest of your system like?
thanks for input...i have martin logan 13a's, meridian 808.2 cd player and krell duo 300 amp, mit wires....

i feel that this stuff should mesh well...and ,no, i did not audition the ref6.. i heard the ls28...which i felt was good...so in light of that i had extreme confidence the ref6 would blow me away...i have no choice but to give it time...tick tick tick...lol

mike.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
i have no choice but to give it time...tick tick tick...lol
Mike, patience is a virtue ! what pre were you using prior to your new ref ?

BTW, great speakers, your Logan 13a's!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
thanks for input...i have martin logan 13a's, meridian 808.2 cd player and krell duo 300 amp, mit wires....

i feel that this stuff should mesh well...and ,no, i did not audition the ref6.. i heard the ls28...which i felt was good...so in light of that i had extreme confidence the ref6 would blow me away...i have no choice but to give it time...tick tick tick...lol

mike.
Mike, no wonder... ML speakers as are most electrostatic and magneplanar speakers tend to be very revealing and cool in tonality when paired with the iron fisted solid state amps such as Krell. ARC is typically rather neutral and can also sound a bit on the cool side of neutral depending on pairing. MIT cables... also on the transparent, cooler side. You have great components in your system when viewed on individual level but in terms of synergy? There is nothing to counterbalance the tonal balance in your system.

What I would suggest is giving the "Cable Company" a call and consult with them about cables that will warm up the frozen tundra going on in your system. That is the most cost efficient approach. Cables, cables, cables..
Old 12-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Mike, patience is a virtue ! what pre were you using prior to your new ref ?

BTW, great speakers, your Logan 13a's!
I have an Audible Illusions MB3 which sounded utterly fantastic out of the box. If the ARC sounded as good I would be just as happy. But i really was expecting something BETTER given the manufacturer, the history, the reviews and the price.

The A.I. is single ended. I wanted balanced. Just typical audiophile-type twisted thinking.

So assuming the ARC would somehow blow my mind I was going to create a second system with some extra components i had laying around. I just never assumed the ARC might be in system "B"...lol..I still hope not.

thanks for the input. keep you guys posted..thanks

mike