AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Default REL R528 Question

Good evening,

I have a question and would like to tap into the collective experience on this list. *

I just purchased a REL R528 from a fellow forum member. *I was reading the setup instructions and it says the initial placement should be in the corner. *Here's my dilemma: I have corner-chunk bass traps. *Is it ok to begin with the rear of the sub close to the face of my bass traps? *(It would be a royal pain to move them.) **

I have read Jim Smith's book and think my speakers are correctly placed. *Just looking for some pointers. *I hope to buy a second one as soon as I refill the audio piggybank or some gear sells, but for now I want to optimize the one I have.*

Thanks,
Chip
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipByrd View Post
Good evening,

I have a question and would like to tap into the collective experience on this list. *

I just purchased a REL R528 from a fellow forum member. *I was reading the setup instructions and it says the initial placement should be in the corner. *Here's my dilemma: I have corner-chunk bass traps. *Is it ok to begin with the rear of the sub close to the face of my bass traps? *(It would be a royal pain to move them.) **

I have read Jim Smith's book and think my speakers are correctly placed. *Just looking for some pointers. *I hope to buy a second one as soon as I refill the audio piggybank or some gear sells, but for now I want to optimize the one I have.*

Thanks,
Chip
No need to move the bass traps. And I would not automatically put that sub in the corner. Doing so increases the loudness at the expense of even frequency response. Where is the current sub located?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM

Chip,

You should have the REL by Friday, hope you enjoy it in good health..
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 AM

REL's basic setup tips are to start in the corner and move it outwards till you hear it the way you like it. You don't have to move your bass traps...just sample it near them, then keep moving it away until it sounds right...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the comments. I figured as much, but it is good to have common sense validated.

Chip
Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 PM

You may also find that one is enough...REL make some amazing subs!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM

I agree the trap should not be an issue.. When you get the REL, use the speaker level connection ( seems counter-intuitive ) but that is the best connection. I am really enjoying the 528 in my system, and hopefully you will also...
Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 AM

Default Add a second sub?

First, my system.

Mcintosh MA6600
Sonus Faber Cremona M
Teac CD 3000
And a brand new REL R528

First, I love what the REL has done to create a fuller and more dynamic sound. Like others have commented in other threads, the low range has opened up, but so have the mids and highs...very cool.

I have the sub set up between the two Cremonas - closer to the left speaker on the side of my rack. The Cremonas are about 8 feet apart. The sweet spot for the crossover seems to be about 55-60Hz.

It's probably partly because of where I have the crossover set, but the left side now feels heavier than the right. I thought because the sub was placed between the two speakers (although off-center), I wouldn't have a problem because low frequencies are supposedly non directional. You may be starting to realize that I'm new to the subwoofer thing....

Where does bass truly become non directional because 55Hz feels like it has plenty of direction. Should I turn down the crossover and turn up the level, or is a second sub running in stereo the only way to tackle the problem correctly?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeman71 View Post
First, my system.

Mcintosh MA6600
Sonus Faber Cremona M
Teac CD 3000
And a brand new REL R528

First, I love what the REL has done to create a fuller and more dynamic sound. Like others have commented in other threads, the low range has opened up, but so have the mids and highs...very cool.

I have the sub set up between the two Cremonas - closer to the left speaker on the side of my rack. The Cremonas are about 8 feet apart. The sweet spot for the crossover seems to be about 55-60Hz.

It's probably partly because of where I have the crossover set, but the left side now feels heavier than the right. I thought because the sub was placed between the two speakers (although off-center), I wouldn't have a problem because low frequencies are supposedly non directional. You may be starting to realize that I'm new to the subwoofer thing....

Where does bass truly become non directional because 55Hz feels like it has plenty of direction. Should I turn down the crossover and turn up the level, or is a second sub running in stereo the only way to tackle the problem correctly?

55Hz is way too high for a REL528 with Cremonas. The crossover should be set near the bottom of the range and your gain higher than you have it now. When the sub is properly positioned, the crossover appropriately low and the gain appropriately high, you will get even pressure from the REL.

As far as corner placement, that is the best starting point for best extension and to avoid exciting room resonances. RELs are meant to be sub woofers - not substitutes for the woofer in your mains.

Last edited by metaphacts; 08-09-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM

I love this forum. Thank you for taking the time to give me the guidance I was looking for. I'll play around with crossover and placement tonight and report back later. Thanks again!