Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Against the Tide

Default Magico V2 Loudspeaker from avguide.com

Magico V2 Loudspeaker from avguide.com

Magico V2 Loudspeaker (TAS 202) | AVguide
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Brian.......It looks like Magico is trying to focus on an entry level speaker in the under $20K price range, but at $18K there is a lot of competition. Were I considering Magico, the V3 at $25K would be the starting point, not the V2.

Magico V3

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Brian.......It looks like Magico is trying to focus on an entry level speaker in the under $20K price range, but at $18K there is a lot of competition. Were I considering Magico, the V3 at $25K would be the starting point, not the V2.

Magico V3
Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 PM

Dan...I have actually listened to both at the same dealer with same equipment and you will be surprised that the difference between the two is minimal. The V3s do go a bit deeper in the bass but marginally so. The V2 has trickle down drivers and construction from the M5 which the older V3s do not have. In my listening sessions I actually preferred the V2s. They were a bit more musically engaging than the V3s, which I found to be a bit more analytical/sterile. Overall, I am not a fan of the Magico sound. I feel they are audiophile speakers, meaning they do all the things that audiophiles look for (highly resolved, very transparent, image great, throw a wide and deep soundtage, etc...) but when you add it all up, for me, they never got me involved with the music. On a relative basis however, the V2s did so more than the V3s. YMMV. My dealer carries the entire Magico line and they will be demoing the new Q5 speaker with Alon Wolf (founder of Magico) on May 27th. Looking forward to that.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Cyrill,

I know that you have said, but, where do you live?

Dealers name?

THe WHOLE Magico line... WOW!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Stephen...I live in Boston. The dealer is Goodwins High End. Here is a link to their web site: Goodwin's High End - High End Audio - Home Theater - Room Acoustics - Systems Integration
Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM

A friend of mine lives in Boston and last December when I was visiting him we went to Goodwin's and spent some time listening to the V2's. They sounded good, but a month or so later he had the opportunity to do an in house demo with another dealer for about 6 weeks. They sounded like a different speaker in his house and to this day it is the best sound he has experienced in his own environment.

I too felt that the V3 would be the obvious choice between the two, but a friend of his was prepared to purchase the V3's and ultimately liked the sound of the V2 better and now owns them.

As cmalak stated there is technology in the V2's that is not present in the V3's and I was very surprised with the difference of the two as one would initially assume that the more expensive 3-way would be better in all areas.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Cyril.......Thanks for the feedback on your Magico V2 versus the V3 audition. I based my opinion strictly on what I have read, and looking at the product specifications. I was assuming the absence of the midrange driver would have to impact the V2's performance.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 05-13-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Cyril.......Thanks for the feedback on your Magico V2 versus the V3 audition. I based my opinion strictly on what I have read, and looking at the product specifications. I was assuming the absence of the midrange driver would have to impact the V2's performance.
Yeah, I would be thinking along the same lines too.

If so, V2 vs V3, liking skewed towards V2.

Could this be the same for the Q5 vs M5?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magico V2.jpg (96.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Magico V3.jpg (73.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Magico Q5.jpg (21.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Magico M5.jpg (36.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:34 PM

I would like to see the Q5. Maybe at RMAF this fall.