AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Tannoy Speakers

Tannoy Speakers Over 80 Years of Audio Invention

Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemcintosh View Post
Are you thinking to change Mike ? To help you on decide here is the link for few more pictures. Oh Also they jumped up the price about 30% compare to SE price.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/107642...7640752562254/

I think I might can accommodate the size but Its hard for me to buy something that haven't seen or heard can be tricky. hmmm....I only have a week to decide.
Wow, sweet pics! The veneer you've got, and in general the fit-and-finish, is top-notch. You've had some very fine and beautiful gear through your room, and to me -- admittedly being a Tannoy fanboy 8 years running now -- the Canterbury easily stands out on top. Definitely a step up from my SE. A fine work of art and craftsmanship.

That said, the SE still sounds pretty great (though backing gear matters a LOT), and I've just recently begun to act fiscally responsible for my age. Somewhere down the line, a trade-in would be very tempting. Heh, though in the past whenever I've said something like that, the deal would be done within a couple weeks :P

The price increase sucks, but that's the way to do it. Tannoy had held prices steady through exchange rate ups/downs and accumulating inflation for a while. Now finally they tack on a healthy increase, but also coupled it with a significant upgrade of the line (much better than just "price go up!").

My Canterbury reside in a similar sized space, and to be honest the lack of adequate space for the Westminster would probably keep me away...though damn it would be temping!! Even hearing the Yorkminster @ extension down to 23Hz vs. the Canterbury's 28Hz, that difference was noticeable and significant. I can understand why someone like Jim Smith runs his Canterbury with dual subs (as counterintuitive as it seems, with 15" woofers). The Westminster goes down to 18Hz! It must be beyond words. Well, if you were planning to add dual subs, I think you could use that cost to justify the price jump to the Westminster

Last edited by mulveling; 05-02-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Wow, sweet pics! The veneer you've got, and in general the fit-and-finish, is top-notch. You've had some very fine and beautiful gear through your room, and to me -- admittedly being a Tannoy fanboy 8 years running now -- the Canterbury easily stands out on top. Definitely a step up from my SE. A fine work of art and craftsmanship.

That said, the SE still sounds pretty great (though backing gear matters a LOT), and I've just recently begun to act fiscally responsible for my age. Somewhere down the line, a trade-in would be very tempting. Heh, though in the past whenever I've said something like that, the deal would be done within a couple weeks :P

The price increase sucks, but that's the way to do it. Tannoy had held prices steady through exchange rate ups/downs and accumulating inflation for a while. Now finally they tack on a healthy increase, but also coupled it with a significant upgrade of the line (much better than just "price go up!").

My Canterbury reside in a similar sized space, and to be honest the lack of adequate space for the Westminster would probably keep me away...though damn it would be temping!! Even hearing the Yorkminster @ extension down to 23Hz vs. the Canterbury's 28Hz, that difference was noticeable and significant. I can understand why someone like Jim Smith runs his Canterbury with dual subs (as counterintuitive as it seems, with 15" woofers). The Westminster goes down to 18Hz! It must be beyond words. Well, if you were planning to add dual subs, I think you could use that cost to justify the price jump to the Westminster
Thanks Mike...I spent 10 hours listening yesterday...and can't believe how wonderful they are as is. I'm still very tempting...but the price difference are quite large $ 50 vs $ 30 k also my room is only 14.5 X 27 so I don't know it will be fit on my room also not sure about the back load horn sounds. Wish I can hear them....

Last edited by Bluemcintosh; 05-02-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:50 AM

Paul,
I've gone through the should-I-or-shouldn't I upgrade agony with 3 different Tannoys before these, though never quite so soon as with your dilemma
My only big regret was when I went from Tannoy to a non-Tannoy, hah. Choosing amongst the Kensington/Yorkminster/Canterbury was not really easy, and if you've got something that sings to your soul, then smart money is to stick with it. I say try not to worry and enjoy the hell out of these up until 1 day before your deadline, then do an honest look-back evaluation of whether the drug/ecstasy is waning...if so, you may not be done yet.

Off topic, I just waxed my Canterbury SE today, and man they needed it. They're looking awesome now (did a poor application the previous time), and then there's coming home to that wonderful smell. So hey, that's kinda like getting new speakers again!
Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Paul,
I've gone through the should-I-or-shouldn't I upgrade agony with 3 different Tannoys before these, though never quite so soon as with your dilemma
My only big regret was when I went from Tannoy to a non-Tannoy, hah. Choosing amongst the Kensington/Yorkminster/Canterbury was not really easy, and if you've got something that sings to your soul, then smart money is to stick with it. I say try not to worry and enjoy the hell out of these up until 1 day before your deadline, then do an honest look-back evaluation of whether the drug/ecstasy is waning...if so, you may not be done yet.

Off topic, I just waxed my Canterbury SE today, and man they needed it. They're looking awesome now (did a poor application the previous time), and then there's coming home to that wonderful smell. So hey, that's kinda like getting new speakers again!
Ridicuoulsly well said, Mulveling
Old 05-03-2014, 09:44 AM

I lived with the Yorkminsters for several years. I agree with the midrange comments. A bit dry and not as engaging. I would gladly sacrifice bass for midrange improvement.

The new speakers pictured are gorgeous.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
I lived with the Yorkminsters for several years. I agree with the midrange comments. A bit dry and not as engaging. I would gladly sacrifice bass for midrange improvement.

The new speakers pictured are gorgeous.
So Kev What you have it now ?
Old 05-03-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Paul,

Mike. I appreciated your input. Now its more 50:50 . Will decide next few days. Just emailing with Jeff and Jim about their thought.

Hmmmm... What kind of smell you get ??? I havent done that yet
Old 05-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemcintosh View Post
So Kev What you have it now ?
Shindo Latour 604 file coils. I guess I love giant speakers!
Old 05-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
Shindo Latour 604 file coils. I guess I love giant speakers!
Oh Boy....I would love to hear them. Giant Box Speaker RULES!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:23 AM

So most of the pictures or videos I've seen of Tannoy speaker set ups, they show the speakers facing straight out (sometime's ever slightly towed in) towards the listener, like you would with most speakers. Yet in the Kensington GR manual they recommend having them aimed at the area in front of your listening position, rather then directly at your position.

This is the way I set mine up (aimed in front of my seat), and they are imaging nicely that way. It took me a while to get them just right, but now I'm just wondering if I should bother repositioning them like everybody else appears to have them set up in the pictures I've seen?

Last edited by DavidA; 05-10-2014 at 01:26 AM.