AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 08-02-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuba View Post
Dear Jim,

Hi my name is Leon and I note with interest that you have a pair of MBL 111Es. Its been a while since I last upgraded my system, but with a family possibly in the way next year, I am being naughty and thinking of getting rid of my Cary tube system for a solid state (my excuse is that it is more child friendly). I am drawing up a shortlist of brands which I like and the MBL is one of them. My wife has heard the 116F and likes the MBL sound, so that's one barrier down! I am getting a bit lazy these days and a bit wary of wasting much money experimenting with different branded components and now would prefer to buy an entire music system from a single brand. That way I can be sure that I do know that I am getting very much the sound I auditioned.

I would like to ask you whether the MBL 111s can be driven satisfactorily with their recommended Noble line 8011AM monoblocks. I have no doubt that their Reference range 9007 or 9008A would do a better job but the price differential is considerable. I am also rather a believer in the concept that "all components in the audio signal trail should be commensurate", so if I did get a pair of Reference monoblocks, I would not be able to sleep well thinking that my upstream components are "only" of the Noble line! (Help!)

I also noticed that you are driving your MBL 111s with very powerful and good front end electronics. Certainly with 1.2kW of Mac power feeding the 111s, they will sing very well indeed! Have you heard the 111s powered by the 0.3kW 8011AMs? How do they factor up? Another option for me is to consider using Accuphase front end to drive them (M-6000). I like the sonic qualities and build of the Accuphase gear but am not sure if they are synergistic with MBLs.

I apologize for the rambling and look forwards to your reply.

With kind regards,
Leon
Leon
Thanks for the question and welcome to AA.

I am glad that you have been able to listen to the MBL's and enjoy them. It usually takes some time to get used to the soundstage they present if you are not used to listening to an omni-directional speaker. Whereas many speakers provide Pinpoint Imaging they are unable to generate the feel or soundstage of a live performance.

I have heard the 111's 116's and 121's all powered by the 8011am amps. My only concern would be if you put a pair of 111's in a "large" room, only then might you push the 8011's. If you can swing a pair of used 9007's that would be the way to go.

I can't help you with the Accuphase question. I respect that line quite a bit, but I do not know how much current they are able to provide.

Let me know if there is anything I missed.

Jim
Old 08-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-w View Post
I've heard the MBL 1511d and it compares very favorably to the Mac but I'd rather have the MDA1000. Haven't heard the 1511f yet.
When you said it compares very favorably to the Mac, which Mac disc player were you referring to? MDA1K?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
When you said it compares very favorably to the Mac, which Mac disc player were you referring to? MDA1K?
Yes, I'd really like to hear the newer f version of the MBL but no one seems to be carrying them here in the bay area that I know of.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Leon
Thanks for the question and welcome to AA.

I am glad that you have been able to listen to the MBL's and enjoy them. It usually takes some time to get used to the soundstage they present if you are not used to listening to an omni-directional speaker. Whereas many speakers provide Pinpoint Imaging they are unable to generate the feel or soundstage of a live performance.

I have heard the 111's 116's and 121's all powered by the 8011am amps. My only concern would be if you put a pair of 111's in a "large" room, only then might you push the 8011's. If you can swing a pair of used 9007's that would be the way to go.

I can't help you with the Accuphase question. I respect that line quite a bit, but I do not know how much current they are able to provide.

Let me know if there is anything I missed.

Jim

Thank you Jim for the warm welcome and prompt reply.

Yes I do like the MBL sound indeed ... I like especially the way the music kind of floats through the air from one room to another (an idiosyncrasy of mine is to pot around the house with the music on in another room!). I like my JM Lab Utopias but they do not have the same effect.

Hmm ... yes I would have to look at the numbers, ideally a pair of 9007s would be prefect for the 111Fs. My listening room is not huge but I have come to appreciate the importance of raw power needed for control and drive of speakers, especially ones with a subwoofer component.

I am currently based in germany for a year and the local MBL dealer did say that they may be able to help me obtain a VAT rebate if I bought the system here. That would be a 19% rebate! Sounds too good to be true. I will have to await his proposal.

With kind regards,
Leon
Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

fuba........Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

From your interest in MBL, it looks like the "friendly forum for high-end audio" is a good place for you to be.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Haven't heard everything but from what I have MBL is up there with the best. Their speakers blew me away the first time I heard them.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you Jim for the warm welcome and prompt reply.

Yes I do like the MBL sound indeed ... I like especially the way the music kind of floats through the air from one room to another (an idiosyncrasy of mine is to pot around the house with the music on in another room!). I like my JM Lab Utopias but they do not have the same effect.

Hmm ... yes I would have to look at the numbers, ideally a pair of 9007s would be prefect for the 111Fs. My listening room is not huge but I have come to appreciate the importance of raw power needed for control and drive of speakers, especially ones with a subwoofer component.

I am currently based in germany for a year and the local MBL dealer did say that they may be able to help me obtain a VAT rebate if I bought the system here. That would be a 19% rebate! Sounds too good to be true. I will have to await his proposal.

With kind regards,
Leon
Leon

If you plan on the 111F's then I would suggest at least going with the 9007's. When I first purchased my 111e's I was using 501's and I thought they were doing a god job. I was surprised that the 1.2ks were able to get a much better grip on the low end of the 111's. The funny thing is the meters on my 1.2ks seldom ever hit 12 watts.

You will be very happy with an all MBL system. Where in Germany are you staying?

Looking forward to any comments on JM Lab. I have been a fan of their product for awhile now.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
fuba........Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

From your interest in MBL, it looks like the "friendly forum for high-end audio" is a good place for you to be.

Thank you Dan. Yes indeed, I am rather starting to like this forum. Unfortunately liking high end brands like MBL and Mac, isn't quite the same as being able to afford all the top notch gear. I would really like the MBL Reference range but at the moment financial prudence says Noble line is about right. Perhaps I should be patient, wait out a few more years and just go for that dream MBL Reference set. Its too painful to be upgrading regularly.

Leon
Old 08-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Leon

If you plan on the 111F's then I would suggest at least going with the 9007's. When I first purchased my 111e's I was using 501's and I thought they were doing a god job. I was surprised that the 1.2ks were able to get a much better grip on the low end of the 111's. The funny thing is the meters on my 1.2ks seldom ever hit 12 watts.

You will be very happy with an all MBL system. Where in Germany are you staying?

Looking forward to any comments on JM Lab. I have been a fan of their product for awhile now.

Hi Jim,

I fully concur with your observation about raw power needed to drive and control speakers, especially the lower frequencies. As mentioned to Dan, perhaps I should just be patient and wait for 1-2 years to get that dream MBL Reference range instead

I am currently based in Muenster. Its a university city, just north of Dortmund/Dusseldorf. The local hifi shop recently renovated and has re-opened with an impressive array of brands, especially german ones. We have the more well known german brands like MBL, Burmester, Avantgarde and AudioNet in Singapore but it is interesting to listen to their other lesser known german brands. There are quite a number and they do make not just good electronics, but excellent speakers and turntables.

I have been a big JM Lab fan for many years. Started with their Electra 906 and 926, and then the Micro Utopia Be and Alto Utopia Be. I like their house sound. Fast, transparent, revealing top end. The Utopias were like a more mature wine compared to the Electras. Warmer in presentation but with a lot more flavor, complexity and detail. I sold my Alto Utopia Be last year in anticipation of getting the MBL (wanted a different sound for the second system), but have kept my Micro Utopia Be which I like a lot.

Leon
Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Hi Jim,

I fully concur with your observation about raw power needed to drive and control speakers, especially the lower frequencies. As mentioned to Dan, perhaps I should just be patient and wait for 1-2 years to get that dream MBL Reference range instead

I am currently based in Muenster. Its a university city, just north of Dortmund/Dusseldorf. The local hifi shop recently renovated and has re-opened with an impressive array of brands, especially german ones. We have the more well known german brands like MBL, Burmester, Avantgarde and AudioNet in Singapore but it is interesting to listen to their other lesser known german brands. There are quite a number and they do make not just good electronics, but excellent speakers and turntables.

I have been a big JM Lab fan for many years. Started with their Electra 906 and 926, and then the Micro Utopia Be and Alto Utopia Be. I like their house sound. Fast, transparent, revealing top end. The Utopias were like a more mature wine compared to the Electras. Warmer in presentation but with a lot more flavor, complexity and detail. I sold my Alto Utopia Be last year in anticipation of getting the MBL (wanted a different sound for the second system), but have kept my Micro Utopia Be which I like a lot.

Leon
Leon
Did not get up that far North in Germany. Often came across the E34 past Eindhoven and Duisberg before catching the A3 south towards Koln near Dusseldorf.

I kind of wish I had kept my Micro Utopia BE's for a extra system. They really are a nice speaker. The Alto's and Nova's are able to reproduce piano with the best speakers out there and the finish is pretty good. I heard the Grand Utopia EM's at last years RMAF and the can compete with anything out there as they should at that crazy price.
Jim