AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
Dan
I haven't heard the F's yet but I am going to fly to Singapore in a few weeks and will audition them while I am there. They are supposed to have a little better bass than my E's while the tweeters and mid are the same with some tweeking of crossovers. MBL uses the same tweeter and mid's on all there speakers. The difference's are in the bass drivers and sub-woofers.
Jim.......Thanks for the information. I really don't know much about the MBL's, and you are the only person I know who owns them. I find the MBL line to be very interesting. I'd need to find a dealer here in Florida, and give them a listen with some familiar music.

You and Jerry in the audio stores together......Look out Sinapore!

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jim.......Thanks for the information. I really don't know much about the MBL's, and you are the only person I know who owns them. I find the MBL line to be very interesting. I'd need to find a dealer here in Florida, and give them a listen with some familiar music.

You and Jerry in the audio stores together......Look out Sinapore!
Jerry seems to know everyone it Singapore. i am sure he will show me a couple of places I have not discovered yet.

I don't try and push people towards MBL especially those who seek pinpoint imaging. For the most part their lineup is omni-directional which can diffuse the sound a bit but ends up sounding like what you would hear at a live venue. It took me several listening sessions to appreciate that before I was won over. If I remember right you had some Def Tech speakers at one time. They too throw sound from front and back. (Plus those big woofers on the side too) I have some hooked up to one of my HT set-ups and they do a good job in that environment.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Jerry seems to know everyone it Singapore. i am sure he will show me a couple of places I have not discovered yet.

I don't try and push people towards MBL especially those who seek pinpoint imaging. For the most part their lineup is omni-directional which can diffuse the sound a bit but ends up sounding like what you would hear at a live venue. It took me several listening sessions to appreciate that before I was won over. If I remember right you had some Def Tech speakers at one time. They too throw sound from front and back. (Plus those big woofers on the side too) I have some hooked up to one of my HT set-ups and they do a good job in that environment.
Jim, it would be interesting to hear your opinion on what you think their strong points are based on your experience so far.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Jim, it would be interesting to hear your opinion on what you think their strong points are based on your experience so far.
Serge
Sometimes it is hard to evaluate something you listen to all of the time since your brain compensates for any shortcomings.
I think the 111e's have a very natural and realistic sounding top end. Cymbal's sound like cymbals, applause sounds like real hands clapping. When Vetterdrummer (he is a drummer) was at my house picking up the 501's he noted that he had never heard such a realistic reproduction of cymbals before.
The speakers do a very nice job on both male and female vocals although some may find they enlarge the image to a bit larger than lifelike.
I think MBL did an excellent job with the crossovers. I do not hear any issue as sound moves from tweeter to mid to woofers then sub woofer.
When I tried them in a larger room and where I could get them a bit further from the rear wall than I am currently able in my 2-channel room, they were able to provide as deep a soundstage as you would want from a speaker. You could really sense the distance from violin to tympani in a symphonic piece. (The 101'a do an even better job of this) As is they present a wide stage with plenty of space for the various instruments.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks Jim. I guess since the "Radialstrahler" has an omni-directional wave launch, it would make sense that the image may be somewhat diffuse but the listening position could be much wider. I would also imagine the "petals" for lack of better term on my part, may have some advantages in terms of less distortion/coloration of the sound improving clarity in the mids and highs. It has always been a fascinating approach in my opinion, back about 5 years ago, when they first started coming out, I remember being very intrigued by the concept.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Sorry Dan :

To me it looks like a fat lady wearing a Burka.

I would be affraid of a bomb attack or something if I had this in my home
Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Sorry Dan :

To me it looks like a fat lady wearing a Burka.
Now that's funny.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Hi Dan,

I have heard this speaker during my audition of the X-Treme. First, the drivers are altogether NEW, an improvement according to the dealer here. Secondly, these are price in the same level as the Wilson Sasha's.

I had a short session with them and I must say I am very impressed. The NEW design and build quality is something I would term as "acquired taste" and to me, they DO look fresh (and nice) and build quality is very high and solid.

The rear portion is up to owner's taste. If he chooses to bi-amp (vertical) the speakers, he can either do it directly to the speaker terminals OR thru the banana terminals as shown (which is factory preferred as it looks better). According to the dealer, he preferred using the speaker terminals. Me? I preferred the factory original option. Cleaner arrangement.

Of course, its "elder" siblings, the 101E MkII and the X-treme does perform better (the X-treme would be WAYYYYY better, but do costs way much more too). BUt its no clouch on its own. It is a very nice sounding speaker! One can listen to it whole day long with NO listening fatigue, especially as an entire MBL Noble line system setup, bi-amp of course.

I have only heard them compared to the Rockport Aquilas and I must say initial audition have them in the top listing, more so when the Rockport are almost twice the price and amps pushing them are the top range Jeff Rowland Criterion + M302 amps.

IF I have not own any system, the MBL Noble line with these speakers can be an end-all. As I have been exposed and corrupted by its siblings, the choice is now wide open, depending on the depth of my pocket and the willingness to spend.

I would not hesitate to recommend this pair of speakers anytime and it does and can hold itself against any speakers in its price point or more ..... as I have heard it perform against the Rockports.

Jim, when you are here in 3 week's time, will definitely bring you to hear them, that is as long as they are STILL in Ron's showroom. Who knows they may become the stimulus for your next change desire (ha! ha!).

Speakers are really a matter of personal taste and in this range, there are many real good ones that comes to mind. So, I would not dare to say they are a MUST own.However, if one had them, I am certain they would be happy until the next encounter .... with something better.

Cheers.
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar
Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Jerry
Looking forward to seeing Ron and his sister Cheng again. Even if he doesn't have the 111F's he will have the 101E VII's in the main room.
I am going to have to put together a new compilation disc to try out while I am there, then leave it with you.
You are so very right about personal taste in speakers. There are so many very good ones out there that we could easily live with.
Jim
Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Jerry
Looking forward to seeing Ron and his sister Cheng again. Even if he doesn't have the 111F's he will have the 101E VII's in the main room.
I am going to have to put together a new compilation disc to try out while I am there, then leave it with you.
You are so very right about personal taste in speakers. There are so many very good ones out there that we could easily live with.
Jim
And that disc my dear friend, is going to add at least a minimum of 5 CDs to my collection. I clearly remembered the last one you brought over and like KD Lang sang, "Hallelujah" I got all of them in my collection, starting with this piece.

I have the whole day lined up for you, starting with lunch! We will end with dinner and supper! Be prepared to add on the pounds!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar