AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnmac View Post
Manufacturers won't do this due to tarnishing; silver sulfide is not a good conductor; some connections are coated with Rhodium for this reason. make sure you guys polish those rods every so often depending on your particular environment.

"However, since
electrical resistivity of silver sulfide (Ag2S) is ~100,000 times higher than that of silver
(15-20 μohm-cm for Ag2S vs. 1.6 X 10-4 μohms-cm for Ag), it reduces the surface
conductivity of the silver even if a very thin film is formed.
To what extent silver tarnish will effect electrical conductivity depends on the thickness..."
PMC fact 8
With absolute transparency of audio in mind the fact ®Ag pure silver coated binding post is the solution.

http://www.fact-speakers.com/downloa...Data-Sheet.pdf

http://www.fact-speakers.com/downloa...T-Brochure.pdf

The fact ® Ag binding post
For the fact range a very special binding posts has been created. With absolute transparency of audio in mind the fact ® Ag pure silver coated binding post provides the ideal connector for 4mm plugs or spades and ensures the perfect transfer of untainted signal from cable to speaker -
The fact ® Ag, is the sound connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fact8.jpg (4.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg fact8bp.jpg (17.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Merry Christmas to all

I have polished my pure silver solid jumpers only once since initially installing them, using a jeweler's poilshing cloth. They were barely oxidized. I'll probably polish the jumpers twice a year.

One thing is certain for me, the solid silver jumpers improved the quality of the sound from my PMC EB1i speakers. It is a great tweak at a minimum price that yields a very nice return.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
My name is Levi

I am sure I am the only one who is using the original jumpers here.
I wish I could say the same about the solid silver jumpers. It just didn't sound right to me specially in the midrange vocals. We listened to Leonard Cohen's, Live in London CD and Elvis "Love me Tender". To me it sounded teazy. Male male vocals sounded cold and less of that warmth that I am used to. I had a couple friends listened to my speakers with the silver jumpers connected and they are more attracted to the speakers. We then removed the silver jumpers and the speakers dissapeared in the room. Perception of depth is much better with the original jumpers. I would think it is system synergy thing. At the very least, I can say I tried it!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Levi.......That is interesting. Just goes to demonstrate why this hobby is so much fun. You never know what will please you until you try it. I would suggest saving the silver jumpers. Something may change in the future, and then they might just come in handy.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I am sure I am the only one who is using the original jumpers here.
You are not the only one. I have no intention of changing the jumpers on my OB1i speakers as they were 'voiced' with the original stock jumpers and Peter Thomas does not recommend a change. PMC is the preferred choice with many leading recording studios and sound engineers around the world and they are using the stock jumpers.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
My name is Levi

That is good to hear. Having audiophile friends over listening to cables. Precious!
Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 AM

i recently moved my speakers out to 9.25 inches from the wall. I ended removing the silver jumpers and going back to stock. Right now the stock jumpers are working for me now. Next month i will probably like the silver jumpers.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Jumpers for PMC

Since becoming a PMC dealer I have been trying different materials for the jumpers. I so far have tried the stock brass one's , ten gauge solid silver and PCOCC single crystal copper ten gauge............All three offer subtle differences with the PCOCC being my favorite so far. The wire is Oyaide
EE/F-S 2.6 it's on my web site under bulk wire.

Some info on PCOCC from Oyaide:

PCOCC copper is a material that includes very few impurities and insures very low levels of signal disturbance. Because of its low incidence of grain boundaries, the signal passes without impediment or distortion. Heating and cooling the PCOCC wire under controlled circumstances yields a densely re-crystallized, highly pure structure called a μ conductor. The resulting product with a mirror finish applied is called PCOCC-A copper. This highly advanced product is made possible by the combined application of high technology and traditional Japanese craftsmanship.

If anyone is interested in trying the PCOCC jumpers just shoot me a email at jbwhitlock1@aol.com with your name and address and I will send them out at no charge

The Oyaide EE/F-2 2.6 is a ten gauge solid wire designed for dedicated lines use and I have some left over from an install I recently did so I decided to give it a try for the jumpers and they work great. I'm sure some will prefer one material over the other...........

Happy Listening

Jeff
A/V Solutions

Last edited by Removed; 03-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jeff.......I sent you an email. I would love to try the Oyaide wire in place of the pure silver solid 10 guage I am using now. There was a marked improvement in the midrange and top end detail when I installed the solid silver jumpers in place of the factory bronze jumpers on my PMC EB1i speakers. It will be interesting to see if I hear any differences with the PCOCC-A copper wire. Thanks for the offer.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Hi Dan,

Will do........I noticed the silver doing the same things but it was interesting that it did nothing for the bottom end and I felt things were tipped up top a tad, maybe what I'm hearing is what you described with the mids and highs only being improved which gave me the slight tipped up effect With the Oyaide jumpers in It seemed like things just had better definition and more balanced.......our rooms have a huge effect on the final sound and I could see how there could be different preferences like cables, etc.

I have the TB2i and FB1i in another room and will try the different jumpers to see the effects on those, they just have the standard gold plated type......

Jeff